DIY: Mazdaspeed6 Replace Pads and Rotors - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > How-To / DIY Section > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Suspension / Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default DIY: Mazdaspeed6 Replace Pads and Rotors

How-To: Mazdaspeed6 Replace Pads and Rotors

To begin, I decided to completely upgrade my brake system, considering that my car will do some track time this summer. If you are planning on doing all that I did, make sure that you have plenty of time, brake jobs can be very time consuming. If this is your first brake job, all I have to say is good luck and I hope that you find this how-to helpful. I’m ASE certified in brakes, and I’ve done a lot of brake jobs on many types of cars. If you are having any troubles or have some questions, shoot me a pm, I’d be glad to help.

Difficulty for just pad and rotor replacement = 5
Cost total = $400+

New parts! Thanks go to Mark at SU

Tools needed for just pad and rotor replacement + why?:

Jack + jack stands – lift car

21mm socket wrench/or impact gun – remove wheels

7mm hex head wrench – front caliper guide pins

17mm socket wrench – front caliper bracket

Needle nose pliers – front caliper retaining clip, depress rear caliper
pistons(the method I used)

C-clamp – depress front caliper pistons

14mm socket wrench – rear caliper guide pins, bracket, e-brake bracket

10mm brake wrench – rear caliper bleeder

9mm brake wrench – front caliper bleeder

Huge Phelps head screw driver – remove rotor screws. Note: If you can’t get these out, (and you most likely will not, I tried everything, including a torch) use a power drill + various size bits to drill out the rotor screws.

Recommended supplies needed for just pad and rotor replacement + why?:

Brake-clean – to clean all friction mating surfaces

Caliper guide pin lube – self explanatory

Brake fluid DOT3 or DOT4 – you will want to bleed the brakes

A friend – to help bleed the brakes(these are hard to find. If no friends exist, buy a brake bleeder thingy)

A bolt – to push rotor off hub(I don’t know the type, but one of the brake line bracket bolts will work)

Rubber hammer – to free rotor from hub

Gloves – this is a very dirty job

Let’s get started! Pad and rotor replacement:
1. Jack up the car, find a good spot for the jack stands(I used the inner car frame), remove the wheels. Note: If you do not know how to support a car safely in the air, stop now and go to a mechanic.

2. Locate and remove the 2 hexbolt guide pins on the rear of the front calipers, you will have to remove the dust caps to access these.

3. Remove the metal spring clip thing.

4. Remove the caliper. Once it is off the hub, you can depress the piston; use the old pad for a flat clamping surface.

5. Remove the pads.
6. Clean the guide pin sleeves in the caliper with brake-clean and paper towels.

7. Locate and remove the 2 caliper bracket bolts, and remove the bracket.

8. Now here comes the fun part. In order to remove the rotor, these screws need to come out. If they do not come out easily, get the drill ready to drill out the screw heads. You really don’t have to replace these screws, the wheel hold the rotor on just fine. With the screws off, remove the rotor. If it won’t come off itself, use a bold in the threaded rotor hole, and screw it in until the rotor brakes free.

9. With the rotor off, inspect and clean the rotor-hub-mating-surface of rust build-up.
10. Install new rotor
11. Install the caliper bracket, making sure the bolts are tight.
12. Place the outer pad on the bracket, and the inner pad into the caliper piston. Note with Hawk HPS pads I had to bend inward on the tabs to get the pad into the piston.(this is an example with the old pads)

13. Now place the caliper onto the bracket and line up the guide pin holes.
14. Clean the guide pins with brake-clean and paper towels.
15. Lube up the guide pins and insert them into the caliper sleeves. Once you have them pressed in, thread the pins into the bracket, and tighten them in. Do not over tighten! Put the dust caps back on.(this is an example with a socket)

16. Install the metal spring clip thing, front brakes are done!

17. Locate and remove this bolt that holds on the e-brake mechanism. Slide the e-brake
mechanism out of its bracket, and set it aside.

18. Remove the 2 caliper guide pin bolts, and remove the caliper.

19. Remove the pads, a flathead screwdriver can help with prying them from the retaining clips.
20. Locate and remove the caliper bracket bolts, and set the bracket aside
21. Remove the 2 rubber guide pin boots, clean the pins and lube them. Then insert them back into the caliper bracket.

22. Remove/Install rotor same as steps 8, 9, 10.
23. Install the caliper bracket, tighten the bolts.
24. Place the new pads in the retaining clips on the caliper bracket.
25. Depress the caliper piston. In order to do this, you have to turn the piston. I used some pliers on the notches in the piston. Turn slowly, so that the piston dust boot does not bind up, gently with your fingers turn the boot back and forth to keep it from binding/ripping. Get it in enough so that it barely fits over the new pads/rotor, then loosen it Ľ turn. Make sure that the notches are vertical/horizontal with the orientation of the caliper, so that it will go on the little stub on the pad.
26. Bolt the caliper on. Do not over tighten!
27. Slide the e-brake mechanism into its bracket. Install the bolt that holds on the e-brake mechanism.
28. Bleed the brakes, make sure everything is on right, and then use brake-clean to clean all friction mating surfaces.

29. Burnish in the pads. Hawk’s instructions are on the box. If you are using different pads do about four 50-30mph firm brake applications.
30. Celebrate, you are done!

Note: if you avoid the cleaning and lubrication of the guide pins as stated in steps 6, 14, 15, 21, you may be susceptible to un-even pad wear. If you avoid steps 28, 29 you could experience noisy brakes and glazed rotors.
Sorry for no how-to on painting the brakes, there are plenty of them out there.

additional info space:
MATT DAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MATT DAMOND For This Useful Post:
blacksin (10-26-2010), cfdp (10-05-2010), dougefresh_ (04-30-2010), jcabs (12-30-2010), MazdaNeed4Speed6 (04-29-2012), mick_estes (01-14-2012), nishul (08-20-2013), RAR (08-17-2010), sammichmanjr (06-17-2013), SpeedCheese (07-12-2011), V0oD0oMan (05-11-2011), Win (08-27-2010), wolfhawk (01-11-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

good job... although easy stuff, good for the begginers

oh and welcome to the club... more ppl from chi is always a good sign
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yomama69 @ Jan 31 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
I don't clean the bathrooms. That's why women were invented.
no more speed six

2001 mercedes benz e430
LLietuviSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Msp6cop

Well at least his first post wasn't something lame. I'll take this ALL DAY compared to some of the other stuff I've been reading lately.

My Garage
Dyno (01/20/09)
DYNO (08/06/09)

Quote:
If you are going to do coke, don't fight cops that have Tasers. You'll die.

Msp6cop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just did mine the other day.

I'll just add this. You can also try using a punch and hammer on the phillips screws holding the rotor on. Put the punch right in the middle and give it a few whacks.

I got tired of messing around and just drilled out mine. It's the the massive surface area on the head of the screw that seizes.

franchize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

QUOTE (franchize @ Mar 14 2009, 12:46 PM)
Quote:
I just did mine the other day.

I'll just add this. You can also try using a punch and hammer on the phillips screws holding the rotor on. Put the punch right in the middle and give it a few whacks.

I got tired of messing around and just drilled out mine. It's the the massive surface area on the head of the screw that seizes.[/b]
One of the many things I tried. I broke 2 screwdrivers and 3 screwdriver drill bits, trying to get those damn things out. With the drill, they were out in minuets.
MATT DAMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 04:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Groans: 56
Groaned at 16 Times in 12 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MicaBlackMS6

QUOTE (MSP6COP @ Mar 13 2009, 10:55 PM) <div class='quotemain'>Well at least his first post wasn't something lame. I'll take this KINGSFORD</span></span> lately.
MicaBlackMS6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #7 (permalink)

I love this mod. Calipers and rotors are always a fun and awesomely greasy one to do

However, whatever size rotors you are using, I can't stress the point that you should pleeeease do some research before you try fitting it all. Not all calipers fit all rotors. A braket for the calipers may be necessary with particular rotors. Check before you buy anything as some shops only sell the brakets as a kit with rotors.

Awesome write-up. I will be doing my own some time in future.

Mods: BC Racing Coilovers | Injen CAI | Advanced Timing | Yellow Fog Lights | 18" Mazda RX-8 Wheels | Raybrig 4500K Parker Bulbs | ipod Connection | Fluoro Orange Rocker Cover | Custom Grounding Kit | Breather Filter | Apexi Auto Timer | PCV Oil Catch Can | RDA Front Slotted Rotors | ACRE Pads | NGK Plug Wires | Red Interior Lights | Honda S2000 Gearknob | HIDs | Corksport Front/Rear Strut | Exedy Sports Organic Clutch
ttshark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Send a message via AIM to SliverSquish Send a message via MSN to SliverSquish

Awesome DYI write up! I have a question though. You stress not to over tighten when bolting the caliper back on. About how my ft/lbs of torque should you use?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

So, if your just replacing the pads, do you need to bleed the brakes? I haven't before when just replacing the pads.

Thanks,
Mike

PS Recommended replacement pads? (06 Speed6)
2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT (no mods yet)
His:
1996 Jeep Cherokee: lifted, armored, and ready for rocks!
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
xj-boonie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

No, you do not need to bleed the brakes. Only if your chainging fluids or removing the calipers. You dont need to take off the calipers either for pad or rotor change.

Make sure you take off the cap for the brake fluid because you will still have to press the caliper piston in. Depending on how much fluid you have in there, you might need to pump the brakes after each pad.

Popular choices are EBC, Hawk, Rotora, and AutoEXE. I have not heard any bad reviews for any of these for the speed. I personally have posiquiets. Just depends on what you want and what your needs are

OP- Some of those first pics make you car look like that spicy orange from the MSP. lol
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.