Mazda 6 Forums banner

Radiator Fan runs after shutting down engine

29K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  GWL 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to check with you if you've ever noticed your radiator fan continue to run after shutting down the engine? Specifically on the 2.5 Gasoline variant.

I thought this was only common in turbo charged cars. The SkyActiv-G engine is an N/A engine.

#2 ·
If you leave the key in the on or accessory point it happens on 90% of all cars my Honda did it as well. It is controlled by a temperature sensor if it still reads as hot it will keep the fan on

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
#8 ·
It turns itself off after a few mins of operation. Perhaps after the engine had been cooled down.

I've got no idea when it'll come on. Sometimes it comes on after a short 20-30mins drive, and it doesn't after a hour long drive.

I suspects it comes on after some spirited driving. High rpm runs.

#16 ·
Ditto.

Maybe they learned something from their RX development. The only time I'd be worried with my 8 was when I shut the keys off and my fan DIDN'T come on. That meant that either I wasn't driving hard enough or something important in my engine bay was about to melt.

#21 ·
i know this is an old thread, but I just encountered/noticed this for the first time today after i heard a sound coming from the engine bay after I locked the car. quite interesting feature. but its fairly quiet compared to other fans i have heard.

#22 ·
My 2001 Volvo V70 does this, and it can run for more than 5 minutes if I get things hot enough, so it isn't something wildly new.

I'm happy that the engine does this, since there is no point in letting the engine heat up a little too hot just because you had to turn the engine off and leave the car.

#23 ·
I've never noticed it at all from my car. My old 91 Honda Prelude Si ran the fan after shutdown all the time and for up to 10 min. and loudly. So much so that I got accustomed to people saying "you know your car is still running?" when I walked away from it in a parking lot. *facepalm*

#25 ·
That noise is the car self cleaning the injectors each time the engine is shut off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.