***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!*** - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 2nd Generation (2008-2013) > Engine / Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation ***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***

----->A thread for 2nd Gen 6 owners to share their Custom Exhaust.----->
I figured I would make a thread 2nd Gen owners can share pics, ideas and videos of their custom exhausts since custom seems to be the only way to go especially for V6 owners like myself..... I think this should be stickied.

Today my Borla Pro XS #40357 mufflers arrived. I took a few photos to share. I am initially impressed with the mufflers alone as they seem to be very well constructed and of high quality material. I am getting them installed this weekend along with custom piping. I will be redoing the piping to make a more solid flowing Y pipe to the rear mufflers such as seen here. I am sticking with stock size piping at 2.25. I am not touching the resonators or cat for now but may decide to replace the resonator with a high flow later if I decide on that route. I am not looking for a really loud sound just nice and deep when needed. Here are pictures of the mufflers.
I will be updating this thread when the installation work is complete with pictures and video.
Attached Thumbnails
***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***-img_6146.jpg   ***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***-img_6154.jpg   ***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***-img_6156.jpg  

Last edited by renny83; 04-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.
renny83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to renny83 For This Useful Post:
Mz6GreyGhost (04-20-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

nice idea, how much were the mufflers? and bought from?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

The mufflers were $89 each and purchased from Wicked Nicky's Exhaust. I highly recommend this seller.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Borla ProXS Mufflers Installed

Installation got completed today with Borla ProXS mufflers installed. I also got the piping done where there is as few bends as possible after the Y pipe. I also ended up getting the second resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe. I left the back end pipes to look like stock.
Installation was just over an hour long and I ended up getting a pretty sweet deal on all the work done.
I am very pleased with the sound so far although maybe a bit on the loud side for me personally. I am deciding on putting the stock resonator back on or as the mechanic suggested removing both of them and installing one very long high flow resonator. I was told I can get the stock one put back on without charge if I decide on that route. I honestly did not think if would be much louder and neither did the mechanic with one resonator off that is why I decided on that route. I think maybe In a way I am just too used to driving in silence all the time and not used to it.
At startup a nice deep tone is made then along with a deep soft idle noise. When the throttle is pushed its very deep and it screams super deep at WOT. I am able to still any throttle in the cabin.
I am surely not used to it and it sure is a thrill though to be able to hear the engine all the way through the power band. At cruising speed the muffler can barely be hear which is what I like and was wanting also.
I shot a few videos and took some photos and put them all together in one. I would like to make some more videos such as a drive by and a take off one, maybe this weekend if I get around to it.

Enjoy and tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***-img_6167.jpg   ***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***-img_6165.jpg   ***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***-img_6160.jpg  

Last edited by renny83; 04-20-2012 at 12:13 AM.
renny83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to renny83 For This Useful Post:
Chuckie (04-21-2012), TheFrequency (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

excellent. can you share approx on price?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

also, when choosing a muffler why did you choose that one? is there something "better" about it than the other borla's?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

What he said^ plus

Sounds nice. I'm stuck between borla and magnaflow now. Lol. Guess you couldn't wait till the weekend. Lol. Appreciate the quick video as well. Nice job man.

2011 Mazda 6 GT V6 Techno Pearl White, AccuAir Equipped. SOLD
brandonlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

The ProXS is supposed to be the quietest of their line of mufflers. I did alot of research and read how there is no drone with them, they are stealthy meaning only able to be hear when hitting the throttle, which I can now account for this myself.This is what I was looking for a deep tone without drone or buzzing.
Borla also has a million mile warranty and are made of high quality stainless steel so they will never rust. Listen to others of the same on youtube also to get an idea. They sound somewhat the same as mine but quieter since I removed one of my resonators.
To be honest they sound alot better in person than on video too.

To answer your other question my install was just at $100 and they will put the stock resonator back on at no charge if I decide that way too.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

question for anyone as well..

is the chrome exhaust piece removable on the v6? was thinking about doing a different exhaust with tips... but if its going to be a hassle i'll probably just change the muffler... anyone know from personal experience if tips help with sound? according to google they do not but some car guys say they do.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny83 View Post
The ProXS is supposed to be the quietest of their line of mufflers. I did alot of research and read how there is no drone with them, they are stealthy meaning only able to be hear when hitting the throttle, which I can now account for this myself.This is what I was looking for a deep tone without drone or buzzing.
Borla also has a million mile warranty and are made of high quality stainless steel so they will never rust. Listen to others of the same on youtube also to get an idea. They sound somewhat the same as mine but quieter since I removed one of my resonators.
To be honest they sound alot better in person than on video too.

To answer your other question my install was just at $100 and they will put the stock resonator back on at no charge if I decide that way too.
thanks. also, install was $100, but what about piping and what not...?

* sorry just saw you didnt change the piping, just took out the resonator*
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.