Mazda 6 Forums banner

***Official Custom Exhaust 2nd Gen Thread- POST YOUR PICS/Videos/SPECS!!!***

89K views 218 replies 40 participants last post by  Archerfish 
#1 · (Edited)
----->A thread for 2nd Gen 6 owners to share their Custom Exhaust.----->:seeya:
I figured I would make a thread 2nd Gen owners can share pics, ideas and videos of their custom exhausts since custom seems to be the only way to go especially for V6 owners like myself..... I think this should be stickied. :lock:

Today my Borla Pro XS #40357 mufflers arrived. I took a few photos to share. I am initially impressed with the mufflers alone as they seem to be very well constructed and of high quality material. I am getting them installed this weekend along with custom piping. I will be redoing the piping to make a more solid flowing Y pipe to the rear mufflers such as seen here. I am sticking with stock size piping at 2.25. I am not touching the resonators or cat for now but may decide to replace the resonator with a high flow later if I decide on that route. I am not looking for a really loud sound just nice and deep when needed. Here are pictures of the mufflers.
I will be updating this thread when the installation work is complete with pictures and video.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Borla ProXS Mufflers Installed

Installation got completed today with Borla ProXS mufflers installed. I also got the piping done where there is as few bends as possible after the Y pipe. I also ended up getting the second resonator removed and replaced with straight pipe. I left the back end pipes to look like stock.
Installation was just over an hour long and I ended up getting a pretty sweet deal on all the work done.
I am very pleased with the sound so far although maybe a bit on the loud side for me personally. I am deciding on putting the stock resonator back on or as the mechanic suggested removing both of them and installing one very long high flow resonator. I was told I can get the stock one put back on without charge if I decide on that route. I honestly did not think if would be much louder and neither did the mechanic with one resonator off that is why I decided on that route. I think maybe In a way I am just too used to driving in silence all the time and not used to it.
At startup a nice deep tone is made then along with a deep soft idle noise. When the throttle is pushed its very deep and it screams super deep at WOT. I am able to still any throttle in the cabin.
I am surely not used to it and it sure is a thrill though to be able to hear the engine all the way through the power band. At cruising speed the muffler can barely be hear which is what I like and was wanting also.
I shot a few videos and took some photos and put them all together in one. I would like to make some more videos such as a drive by and a take off one, maybe this weekend if I get around to it.

Enjoy and tell me what you think.

Attachments

#7 ·
What he said^ plus

Sounds nice. I'm stuck between borla and magnaflow now. Lol. Guess you couldn't wait till the weekend. Lol. Appreciate the quick video as well. Nice job man.

#11 ·
Thanks, its also just a preference of sound, to me Borla has a more deep tone.
Personally I dont care for magnaflow because they have that buzzing sound at least the ones I have heard in person as well as watched on video. I was stuck too but this and the quality is what helped me make my mind to be honest....

Lol.... and no I surely couldnt wait the mufflers shipped way faster than I expected lol .....got off early from work today and had to make it a done deal !

thanks. also, install was $100, but what about piping and what not...?

* sorry just saw you didnt change the piping, just took out the resonator*
The custom bent piping was included in the install price aswell.....
Also as far as I know the stock chrome exhaust rear piece can be removed. From what I have read, its better to have the same size piping all the way to the end of the tip as far as for airflow.....

#8 ·
The ProXS is supposed to be the quietest of their line of mufflers. I did alot of research and read how there is no drone with them, they are stealthy meaning only able to be hear when hitting the throttle, which I can now account for this myself.This is what I was looking for a deep tone without drone or buzzing.
Borla also has a million mile warranty and are made of high quality stainless steel so they will never rust. Listen to others of the same on youtube also to get an idea. They sound somewhat the same as mine but quieter since I removed one of my resonators.
To be honest they sound alot better in person than on video too.

To answer your other question my install was just at $100 and they will put the stock resonator back on at no charge if I decide that way too.

#9 ·
question for anyone as well..

is the chrome exhaust piece removable on the v6? was thinking about doing a different exhaust with tips... but if its going to be a hassle i'll probably just change the muffler... anyone know from personal experience if tips help with sound? according to google they do not but some car guys say they do.

#16 ·
IIRC the chrome piece is attached directly to the rear bumper, and I'm not sure if they're removable or not. I was thinking of painting mine with a chrome black at one time, but never looked into it.

And I've never heard any tips that actually help with sound. I've seen/heard of some ricer "tips" that IMO made it worse, but that's it.

#13 · (Edited)
It was easier to cut right at the Y after looking at it on the lift from underneath there really is not a reason to change the Y itself it was the crazy stock bends right after that Y pipe that lead to the mufflers that I wanted to get as straight as possible which I think was accomplished. There is definitely much better airflow now.

#15 ·
Renny,
It sounds awesome, thanks for posting up such nice video! This is exactly the sound I'm looking for too.

When you pulled up next to the camera, I hear that you have the same whistle that I do. I've done some research and I think it's the fuel pump or something but drives me crazy either way. I'm glad it's probably driving someone else crazy too (misery loves company). ;)

#25 · (Edited)
I am glad to help out and that you all enjoyed the video. I have got a ton of compliments on the way it sounds today. I am too used to the quiet sound of the stock exhaust though I think. I love the way it sounds as deep as it is. The only thing I don't care for personally is the cabin noise. Its a bit too loud for my taste's. I'm not 100% yet but I am leaning toward the idea of purchasing an 18" long vibrant straight through resonator to install to take some of the noise down to lessen the cabin noise.
Renny,
It sounds awesome, thanks for posting up such nice video! This is exactly the sound I'm looking for too. When you pulled up next to the camera, I hear that you have the same whistle that I do. I've done some research and I think it's the fuel pump or something but drives me crazy either way. I'm glad it's probably driving someone else crazy too (misery loves company). ;)
I am not sure about the whistle you mention I have tried to listen for it. I was thinking it was just the CAI but maybe I am wrong.
I have two questions:
1. Starting around :23 into the video when the engine comes down from a rev. What causes that fluttering sound and can that be eliminated? It would be nice if the sound decayed smoothly.
2. Tell me more about the horn mod at 1:56 in the video.
Thanks,
1.I noticed this also and I researched around to find out possible causes. There possibly could be a leak in the welds which I checked and listened too over and over so I am sure this is not the case.I read after a new install the sound possibly goes away in a few days. I also read that having no resonator in some systems helps produces this in some cases. Ill have to wait and see I am hoping it just goes away.
2. As for the horn it was just some random truck that was driving by on the main road lol. I edited alot out in the videos, and I liked that too so I left it in there.
renny how much did all that cost u? I want the same exact shit
The mufflers were $89 each which I purchased from Wicked Nicky's Exhaust and then $100 for installation, piping and taking out resonator.

#28 ·

This what I did two days ago, I think it sounds good both in the cabin and outside.. Not to loud but loud enough to get some attention..

#31 ·
This what I did two days ago, I think it sounds good both in the cabin and outside.. Not to loud but loud enough to get some attention..
Nice, So u just took those out and replaced with straight pipe? I bet just doing that you can feel it open up more too...

I took a couple more videos today ill be editing into one to put up soon in this thread....

Also for the setup I have I love the sound from the outside but.......the cabin noise is overbearing though and just too loud for my tastes. I feel have to drive like a grandma to not wake the neighborhood lol. I am going to get an aftermarket resonator to put in place of where the stock was. I am debating on which one still. These are the ones I am considering either a Vibrant 18" bullet resonator or a Hushpower II resonator. After hearing clips and reading around the net I am leaning towards the hushpower. What do you guys think any experience with resonators anyone?

#34 ·
Here's something I want to add to the thread since it hasn't really been discussed...overall muffler length. I'm currently trying to decide between these two mufflers:

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

It's a 7 inch difference and I was wondering whether the 24" would fit...can anyone find out the stock muffler length? (I would get my measuring tape out but my car is at the dealership for some warranty work...) It'd be much appreciated!

#36 ·
It's a 7 inch difference and I was wondering whether the 24" would fit...can anyone find out the stock muffler length? (I would get my measuring tape out but my car is at the dealership for some warranty work...) It'd be much appreciated!
I took an exact measurement of the stock muffler earlier today and its exactly 22" end to end for just the muffler itself. I am pretty sure the 24" one could be made to fit.

#35 ·
I would probably do the smaller one as it would be easier to position the muffler.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#38 ·
You would definitely need to chop off the old haggards and weld the new ones on..... anything for our exhaust is going to be custom.

Update I ordered a vibrant 18" straight through resonator to install in place of where I had the stocker taken out. Getting it installed later this week to cut down on the interior noise for me..... I will update with new video after with difference.

#39 ·
Ya I found that trailer hitch video a while back when SPD Performance started talking about making an exhaust system for our car.

How annoying is having no resonator? I know someone who took his off of his speed3 and it really isnt annoying or any louder just more of a rumble to it.

I want to do a custom exhaust like they did with the 2.5" piping all the way through with no resonators but I want 2 Borla mufflers instead any input what size piping will be better the stock or increasing it to 2.5" and would they also be able to make a custom downpipe since thats where the power really comes from and the rest is more noise related?

#40 ·
Ya I found that trailer hitch video a while back when SPD Performance started talking about making an exhaust system for our car.

How annoying is having no resonator? I know someone who took his off of his speed3 and it really isnt annoying or any louder just more of a rumble to it.

I want to do a custom exhaust like they did with the 2.5" piping all the way through with no resonators but I want 2 Borla mufflers instead any input what size piping will be better the stock or increasing it to 2.5" and would they also be able to make a custom downpipe since thats where the power really comes from and the rest is more noise related?
The shop I took my car too said nothing over 2 1/4. But if you can find a shop that will make custom headers for you then I would do 2 1/2. I like the little more rumble I get from the removal of the resonators, and most importantly my wife doesn't mind it either. The power will come from the least amount of bends and least amount of resistant material in it's way.

#42 ·
Has anyone done just a muffler delete or just a resonator delete on the 2.5? I've heard both on the 2.3. I was thinking if I kept the resonator and just deleted the muffler it would sound pretty deep, not ricey, and interior noise would be kept to a minimum.

Thoughts?

#43 ·
They only thing I can say about removing the resonator or mufflers is you loss back pressure, which means you loss torque, I have noticed after deleting my resonators it takes a little more to get off the line..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.