Help with overheating problem - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with overheating problem

I have a 04 v6 and have been having a overheating problem with my car. The problem started off with a leaking radiator which was replaced and the car drove fine for a month and then the thermostat went out becuase the pipes after the thermostat were cold and before it were hot. I replaced the thermostat but it has still been overheating for while now. I can drive the car for up to 15mins on the freeway before the engine temp gauge starts to read higher than 220f and it starts to slowly climb to 240f or even higher if i keep driving. If i keep the speed 55mph or below I can control the temperature and it runs hot but does not overheat. The water temp gauge will also start to climb slowly and if i keep driving at highway speeds the water overheats and starts to boil if the weather is hot or i drive at 75mph or higher. I can drive for much much longer in the city and it takes a very very long time for the water temp gauge to move past the middle mark. This is a weird problem and the faster i drive the car the faster it overheats but if i drive less than 50mph it doesnt overheat and takes forever doing it. I do lose water/coolant and have to replace every 100 miles of driving but i do not smell coolant in the oil or have any smoke. Please help thanks.
04 mazda6--- Eibach springs*front & rear RB sway bars*CP-E yellow engine mount*Injen exhaust/kartboy hangers* black tail lights*19'' hyper black motegi racing rims/summer tires*8000k hid xenon*triple Lotek gauge pod*defi oil temp gauge/defi oil pressure guage/defi tranny temp gauge*HPS brake pads & RBF brake fliud*

91 Mr2--- turbo swap*ct20b turbo*3'' exhaust*3'' Downpipe*k&n intake*
mK 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Can you tell if the radiator fan is coming on?
track6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by track6 View Post
Can you tell if the radiator fan is coming on?
yes the fans do come on and they stay on at full.
04 mazda6--- Eibach springs*front & rear RB sway bars*CP-E yellow engine mount*Injen exhaust/kartboy hangers* black tail lights*19'' hyper black motegi racing rims/summer tires*8000k hid xenon*triple Lotek gauge pod*defi oil temp gauge/defi oil pressure guage/defi tranny temp gauge*HPS brake pads & RBF brake fliud*

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackCherry06

Since you've changed the thermostat, I suspect a blockage in the radiator. This happened to a friend's car, and after 2 thermostats, we finally took it somewhere and it turned out to have a collapsed radiator core.

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
BlackCherry06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCherry06 View Post
Since you've changed the thermostat, I suspect a blockage in the radiator. This happened to a friend's car, and after 2 thermostats, we finally took it somewhere and it turned out to have a collapsed radiator core.
I been thinking that coolant just isnt circlelating right but didnt know from where its being blocked. Did you guys replace the radiator? How can you check if the radiator is being blocked yourself anyone?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackCherry06

The dealership removed the radiator, sent it out, and the radiator shop couldn't get but a trickle of water to pass through it. It went into the dumpster and they ordered him a new one.

Remove both hoses and run a garden hose full-blast into the top and see what comes out the bottom. There shouldn't be much, if any resistance.

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
BlackCherry06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCherry06 View Post
The dealership removed the radiator, sent it out, and the radiator shop couldn't get but a trickle of water to pass through it. It went into the dumpster and they ordered him a new one.

Remove both hoses and run a garden hose full-blast into the top and see what comes out the bottom. There shouldn't be much, if any resistance.
I'll give that a shot. thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yeah, that was the next thought. It would not be the first time a radiator clogged enough to cause an issue. But it seems odd that it will be fine at lower speed in the city. City driving should be worse for over heating.
The fact that you are losing coolant is not good. If the radiator checks out, you could try a pressure check of the system. See if any obvious leaks show up. Does it seem to run just fine? I suppose it could be a head gasket leak into the cylinder. I know you don't want to hear that...
Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I got under the car and i can see the radiator being soaked in water/coolant on the bottom. When the cars parked it leaves a football sized puddle on the ground but the radiator itself is covered with coolant. I need to order a new radiator any advice from where I should do that?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Any of the usual suspects should be fine. Unless you have the coin to get it from Mazda, they are all more or less the same. An OEM replacement should run around $100 before shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.