Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 45
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to BigAlDJ
Angry Rough idle: Brake Booster

My rough idle, almost stalling then recovering was caused by the Vaccuum Brake Booster. 2006 mazda 6 3.0 ltr automatic. Symptoms: after 15-25 secs at a stop light, the idle would drop down 75-100 rpm (650-675ish), I would feel weird vibrations and different sound in the exhaust. Then it would really drop for a split second and then recover. After 5-10 times the check engine light would come on. It would run good but lack a little low end power otherwise. Kept on getting codes: P0131, P0151, P2187, P2189. Basically lean @ idle, lean bank 1 or 2. I changed PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body, changed the purge solenoid valve, inspected the PCV hose (notorious for cracking), checked for vaccuum and intake leaks. I had maybe 43,000 km on the car. I was told to change the sensors. I put on all 4 NTK sensors. Still no change. I finished doing the Y-Pipe (Stock is very bad). I changed the mass air sensor. I put the stock intake back on (removed the bottom plate and drilled holes in bottom of silencer to get at cold air). I installed a new vaccuum solenoid at intake flapper. I removed my ground wires for a week. Still no change. Electrical harness inspected along with my aftermarket O2 sensors: Passed. They could not figure it out. The dealer told me I had to put Mazda sensors back in. The dealer also told me I had to put the factory stereo back in and change back my Y-Pipe (before a computer could be authorized). They were idiots. I had them check EGR valve and spray cleaner in it. I did EGR mod. I sprayed Ether around everything with no change. I took it to another dealer. They found the O2 sensors would shut-off by 4's or 2's for a split second sending fuel trim all over the place. They changed the computer (no issues with stereo, ground wires or Y-Pipe). Still acted up. Finally he checked the brake booster and discovered that when the vaccuum line was pinched it would run smoothly. We got one from the bone yard and now it is fine. Been driving for 2 weeks with no issues. I also told the first dealer to check the brake booster because I had also issues with poor stopping a few odd times (he obviously did not check it). To re-iterate, this issue came @ idle while my foot was on the brake pedal and car was warmed up. Sometimes you have to be really descriptive when things are happening. I don't think the first dealer warmed up car properly (because I never heard them rev it up like the second dealer).

Last edited by BigAlDJ; 03-21-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: ...
The Following User Says Thank You to BigAlDJ For This Useful Post:
chilimax21 (02-16-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Bottom Line. A lean @ idle or lean bank condition is normally caused by a vaccuum leak. The mass air sensor is not reading all 100% of the air going in because extra air is going in from somewhere else. In this case it was the Vaccuum Brake Booster assembly.
The mechanic said the last time he changed one was 1979.
Check all vaccuum and intake possibilities before changing O2 sensor. Including the accordian intake tube before the throttle body---it cracks as well.

Last edited by BigAlDJ; 03-21-2011 at 05:17 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know what to look out for when problems come up.

2003 Mazda 6s- Konis all around, Progress Rear Sway, Hid in Lows, Brembo blanks w/ Hawk Ceramics, PIAA 1000XT's, 225/45/17 Dunlop Signatures, Continental Extreme Contitacts, MSDS headers w/Magnaflow spun metallic cat w/stock exhaust, Street Unit Wishbone Mount, AWR Tranny Mount, K & N airbox filter
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAlDJ View Post
My rough idle, almost stalling then recovering was caused by the Vaccuum Brake Booster. 2006 mazda 6 3.0 ltr automatic. Symptoms: after 15-25 secs at a stop light, the idle would drop down 75-100 rpm (650-675ish), I would feel weird vibrations and different sound in the exhaust. Then it would really drop for a split second and then recover. After 5-10 times the check engine light would come on. It would run good but lack a little low end power otherwise. Kept on getting codes: P0131, P0151, P2187, P2189. Basically lean @ idle, lean bank 1 or 2. I changed PCV valve, cleaned the throttle body, changed the purge solenoid valve, inspected the PCV hose (notorious for cracking), checked for vaccuum and intake leaks. I had maybe 43,000 km on the car. I was told to change the sensors. I put on all 4 NTK sensors. Still no change. I finished doing the Y-Pipe (Stock is very bad). I changed the mass air sensor. I put the stock intake back on (removed the bottom plate and drilled holes in bottom of silencer to get at cold air). I installed a new vaccuum solenoid at intake flapper. I removed my ground wires for a week. Still no change. Electrical harness inspected along with my aftermarket O2 sensors: Passed. They could not figure it out. The dealer told me I had to put Mazda sensors back in. The dealer also told me I had to put the factory stereo back in and change back my Y-Pipe (before a computer could be authorized). They were idiots. I had them check EGR valve and spray cleaner in it. I did EGR mod. I sprayed Ether around everything with no change. I took it to another dealer. They found the O2 sensors would shut-off by 4's or 2's for a split second sending fuel trim all over the place. They changed the computer (no issues with stereo, ground wires or Y-Pipe). Still acted up. Finally he checked the brake booster and discovered that when the vaccuum line was pinched it would run smoothly. We got one from the bone yard and now it is fine. Been driving for 2 weeks with no issues. I also told the first dealer to check the brake booster because I had also issues with poor stopping a few odd times (he obviously did not check it). To re-iterate, this issue came @ idle while my foot was on the brake pedal and car was warmed up. Sometimes you have to be really descriptive when things are happening. I don't think the first dealer warmed up car properly (because I never heard them rev it up like the second dealer).
Can you show a pic of the brake booster line he pinched? also how hard was the booster to get to? Mine was doing the same thing with a aftermarket intake... but mine is manual and would do it worst when the AC was on...

06 M6 V6 | AWR 88 duro mounts | CAI | Oil Catch Can | MSDS Header | Magnaflow High flow cat | Custom 2.5" Exhaust with Dual Flow-Pro mufflers | Exedy stage 1 clutch | Exedy racing flywheel | 17" Toyo Proxes4 | 50 watt 6000k HID High Beam | 50 watt 5000k HID Low Beam | Silverstar turns | DICE aux ipod mod | All LED retro | De-badged front and rear | shaved | 35% tint gauged at 22% | Scangauge II |
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I have no idea. It was done at the dealer.
It is hard to get to. It was a 3 hour job.
Did you plug the vaccuum line that originally went to stock airbox?
Mine came with a fancy short hose/plug. You could plug it off with a screw & clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VaccuumLine1.jpg
Views:	2871
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	78196   Click image for larger version

Name:	AL'sK&N-Mazda2a.jpg
Views:	2410
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	78197   Click image for larger version

Name:	AL'sK&N-Mazda3b.jpg
Views:	2944
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	78198  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page