Dealer recommended service at 5K miles? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 2nd Generation (2009-2012) > Engine / Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Dealer recommended service at 5K miles?

Hi,

I am a newbie to cars and Mazda6 is the first car that I bought.

My 6 has 4500 miles now. The dealer recommends a 5,000 Mile Service Maintenance for a charge of $50 + tax. I don't know what exactly the service involves. When I called for an appointment and asked for details, all I heard was an oil change and tire rotation. There may be others but I think these two are the main things. I just want to know what maintenance I should do and whether $50 is a fair price. What do you think?

Thanks!
sonicking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

Groans: 5

Mazda recommends oil changes, lubes and tire rotation about every 7,500 miles.
'nuf said.
Deco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deco View Post
Mazda recommends oil changes, lubes and tire rotation about every 7,500 miles.
'nuf said.
So you would not say it is necessary to follow the dealer's recommendation?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

Sonic,

My experience has been "by the book" . . . but I've found that *EVERY* Mazda dealership in the area is talking up 3000 mile oil changes. This area is a bunch of thieves though. The local Mobil oil place was putting 3k stickers on my CR-V when I was putting Mobil1 in them ???

I just got a lecture from my local place about the oil changes being not what they are in the book.

One INTERESTING fact they showed me in writing is that it's normal for them to burn up to 1qt of oil every 600mi for rotary and 1500mi for piston . . . so what that says to me is check (and top off) your dipstick every 1500 and you're ok for 7500 miles.

Rotations on the other hand is subjective. The OE 17" tires were losing mad grip (well, they didn't have a lot to speak of to start with) at 4k miles, so it's really preference. Ideally, if they are done RIGHT every time and the same number of miles, every 3k will give you the most even wear, but if you get even ONE bad rotation (meaning a wheel gets dented, you torque the lugs unevenly, etc.) it's just not worth the added frequency. I rotate my own, so every 5k is where I'm going to stick with my AVID H4S.

"I don't know what exactly the service involves." -- this is your business to always find out --- you're asking online, so that's a good step to staying informed.

The only time I'd expect to see a dealership deviate from the regular maintenance schedule are:
1) In ultra-low temperatures (Yellow Knife anyone?)
2) In ultra-high temperatures (Arizona, Mexico)
3) In very high altitudes . . . take your pick

Still, it's best to doubt them. Change your cabin air filter by the schedule or when you can smell it - whichever is sooner.

2009 Mazda6 GT i (6MT) w/Sunroof - NO BOSE! (now an AVIC-Z110BT)
|- CarDomain Ride -|- Stereo Changeout Writeup -|- Random Pics (somewhat recent) -|

If your shop can't do anything more than a kit, don't tell me to buy a Mazdaspeed6, asshat.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

I asked them again and they said they would change the oil and rotate the tires. They would also check the pressure on the tires. I asked what else and they said that's about it. I was surprised because I could get these done in Pep-boy for $30 (not $50 as charged by the dealer). I really thought there would be additional things they would do.....
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Check your manual again. For "severe" driving conditions ("schedule 2": stop and go traffic, cold weather, hot weather, basically "normal driving") Mazda recommends 5,000 mile service intervals. Most shops that do oil changes typically do a general check up to inspect all fluid levels, the undercarriage, steering linkages, CV boots, etc... Locks & hinges should be lubed periodically.

For the first 60,000 miles it's pretty much oil/filter changes and tire rotation. Inspect the engine air filter and cabin filter regularly and change as needed (I changed them about every 20,000 miles). Keep an eye on all fluid levels (brake/clutch, coolant, power steering and top off as needed). The 2.5L 4cyl should have the valve clearance "inspected audibly and adjusted" as needed ever 30,000 miles).

At 60,000: spark plugs and engine coolant. IMO brake fluid and transmission fluid should be changed out also at this point.

$50 sounds about right for dealership prices for the oil and tire service.

Last edited by Trippp; 04-07-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Trippp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

I have to say, for $50, a rotate and oil change isn't bad for my area. You get the extra "we looked at it" even if they didn't which covers you even if they didn't lubricate the door handles

Severe means severe though --- It means "stuck in traffic every day" or running the indy block lights Below Zero, above 90, dusty areas . . . etc.

Overall though, I do agree with Tripp that tranny fluid should be on there. As for brake fluid, that's an easy one and they can hit it every time: inspect fluid level/check pedal travel. Fluid that needs changing is evident to someone that pulls those cars into the bay every day and has a variety of feeling; hard or spongy and you know you've got a change coming on.

What worries me is that Mazda (not sure if it's corporate or just dealers) seem to be "flush" happy. Honda was vehement that you NEVER flush and even auto trannies were drain/fill/run through the gears a few times 3x . . . which makes sense if you think about it. If the system is engineered correctly and it's a closed system (you're not getting crap in or the mechanicals aren't deteriorating) then why throw detergents in?

My experience across mostly GM then Honda products (now the 6!) is that a bottle of techron largely will cure what ails the gas system. It's mild enough to not screw anything up, costs about $7, and is an awesome "first step" to problems caused by dirty gas etc.

Hey Tripp, did you find a good (cheap) place to pick up filters? Nothing aftermarket fits (except the K&N intake filter-- their cabin filter WON'T fit) it's $35+ship for the pair from most dealerships.

Thanks.

-Ernie

2009 Mazda6 GT i (6MT) w/Sunroof - NO BOSE! (now an AVIC-Z110BT)
|- CarDomain Ride -|- Stereo Changeout Writeup -|- Random Pics (somewhat recent) -|

If your shop can't do anything more than a kit, don't tell me to buy a Mazdaspeed6, asshat.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

dont know if your dealerships carry this but mine gives out a "coupon book" with listed services, anyhow i was WAY to lazy to scan it but took pics instead, if you can't read it open the link up and it should be larger,

5K:

10K:

15K:
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

i get service coupons mailed to me about every 3 months. I think the one I got the other day was either $29 or $39 for oil change and filter and tire rotation.
gilstein21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

@ Ernie . . . No, I haven't found a good aftermarket place for parts/filters. After owning Hondas for 15 years, I'm bummed at how little aftermarket support there is for our Mazdas.

I totally agree about the flushes . . . IMO they're not ideal.

For fuel system cleaning, everyone should check out toptiergas.com and use one on the list.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.