Rattle In Intake Manifold - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I've been doing searches for the past couple of days to see if there's a similar problem. I must have read all the engine rattle problems but none seem to match mine. They all seem to point to the infamous belt tensioner. I initially had a rattle that seem to be coming from the acc belt area that intermittently goes on and off during idle. The sound is more consistent when the a/c is on. I ordered a new belt tensioner and replaced mine the other day, along with a new belt and an idler pulley. It did not fix the problem. In fact, it made the rattling sound more consistent and louder. It also now made the sound to come directly from the passenger side of the intake manifold. I also removed the heat shield from around the exhaust manifold, just to make sure I eliminate that possibility. It did not get rid of the rattle.

Can anybody shed some light on this. I believe there is a flap inside the manifold that closes it during cold starts and opens when the engine warms up. I read somewhere that this is controlled by the vtcs valve. If this is the case, the flap sound like it is loose and is rattling inside the IM. Is ther a way to secure this without taking the IM out. If not, is there a DIY published here to remove the IM.

Can someone point me to any posts or links. I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks
flippu10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

I checked it again just now, it sounds like it's coming from inside the valve cover, close to the timing chain. It's a constant clatter/rattle like 2 pieces of metal hitting each other. It only starts making the sound as soon as the car warms up and more pronounced when the a/c is on. I really can't tell if it's inside the valve cover our out around it. Nothing seems to be loose outside around the area where the sound is coming from.

I also opened up the oil filler cap while the car is running to get a better idea if it's really coming from the inside, but all I hear is a muffled, hollow air coming out of it.

I'd like to take out the valve cover and see if there's anything loose inside. It looks pretty simple but there are 2 tall, plastic pieces where the engine cover attaches at the corners that I can't figure out how to remove. Can anybody point me to a diy or pics. I would really apprciate some help. The rattle is really annoying and loud from inside the car. Sounds like I'm driving a diesel truck.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Does it sound similar to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQhgKiVm6E
Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Does it sound similar to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQhgKiVm6E[/b]
Actually, that sounds more mechanical. Mine sounds more like a loose piece of metal hitting against another metal piece. So the sound is more influenced by a specific vibration of the engine.

I may have found it. I jacked up the car again and took the front wheel off. I crawled underneath to take the new belt tensioner off and put the old one back on. The sound definitiely is coming from inside the front engine cover and where the timing chain is located. It sounds like the chain is loose and slapping against the metal cover. I have 65K on the car. I know the timing chain is not normally tensioned or adjusted since it has a tensioner. I think the timing chain tensioner is bad.

I'll do some searches and see if others have this problem. I wonder how much it would cost to tighten the chain. It looks pretty complicated and a lot of work from the manual.

Any insights would be well appreciated.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Actually, that sounds more mechanical. Mine sounds more like a loose piece of metal hitting against another metal piece. So the sound is more influenced by a specific vibration of the engine.

I may have found it. I jacked up the car again and took the front wheel off. I crawled underneath to take the new belt tensioner off and put the old one back on. The sound definitiely is coming from inside the front engine cover and where the timing chain is located. It sounds like the chain is loose and slapping against the metal cover. I have 65K on the car. I know the timing chain is not normally tensioned or adjusted since it has a tensioner. I think the timing chain tensioner is bad.

I'll do some searches and see if others have this problem. I wonder how much it would cost to tighten the chain. It looks pretty complicated and a lot of work from the manual.

Any insights would be well appreciated.[/b]
In order for me to exactly pinpoint the rattle and further eliminate any other possibilities, I am planning to remove the acc belt and run the engine briefly. This should be the final test. Does anybody see any problems with me running the engine for a few minutes without the acc belt on. I know it drives the water pump, alternator and power steering pump. So all of those will not function. I figured so long as I don't run it too long to cause the engine to overheat, I should be okay, since there will no coolant circulation.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Does it sound similar to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQhgKiVm6E[/b]
My 2.3 is making a noise very much like that. What is it?
rhepplestone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mine is V6 and I have no idea also what is causing that ticking noise. It don't hear it sometimes when it's cold.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
mega87

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I have that same noise when the A/C is on too on my girlfriends Mazda6 2.3L. I am thinking the A/C compressor might be making that noise. I drive a 02 Camry and when my A/C turns on at idle it makes a ticking noise but not loud as my g/f's Mazda. I rules that noise out when I turn off the A/C the noise goes away, as soon as I turn it on and leave it on for a good while and the compressor kicks in I start hearing the noise. I think it's the A/C compressor

Is there here on this site how I can change the compressor myself? or some type of Service manual for the Mazda 6?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
My 2.3 is making a noise very much like that. What is it?[/b]
Yea same here, is it normal?
zpaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
In order for me to exactly pinpoint the rattle and further eliminate any other possibilities, I am planning to remove the acc belt and run the engine briefly. This should be the final test. Does anybody see any problems with me running the engine for a few minutes without the acc belt on. I know it drives the water pump, alternator and power steering pump. So all of those will not function. I figured so long as I don't run it too long to cause the engine to overheat, I should be okay, since there will no coolant circulation.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.[/b]
I finally had some time to jack up the car and take the belt off and try this. I started the car without the belt and let it run for a few minutes. No rattle. So I conclude that the rattle is not what I originally thought, which is the timing chain nor inside the engine for that matter. It was pretty quite except for the normal valve clicking. I checked each of the accessory pulleys and identified that the alternator pulley is the culprit. It's not loose but definitely sounds like there's something loose inside. It rattles when I spin the pulley. Mystery solved. I also checked the belt tensioner again. That too has a slight rattle inside the tensioner spring cup. I'm going to replace it.

Does anybody know if the alternator pulley can be replaced by itself or do I have to replace the alternator itself. I don't see(feel) any screws or bolts attaching the pully to the alternator. Any insights, anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.