MrTea's '03 Turbo 6i mtx swap build - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Send a message via AIM to MrTea Send a message via MSN to MrTea
MrTea's '03 Turbo 6i mtx swap build

figured there should be thread for this, so i could make updates in 1 spot.

i dropped off the car this morning @ Gillis Motorsports to swap an MTX-75 5speed tranny into my '03 4speed atx. i don't know if he'll be getting any pics along the way, but i didn't ask him to as it's not like anyone is going to be trying to do this on their own.

i'm going with Torsen LSD and running the 4.06 final gears and hoping that suits me well. i'm trying to find something that will keep my where i need to be on the track in regards to rpm range. and something that will allow me to put a bit more down and not have to deal with the damn torque converter. we'll see how it goes, and i asked him to keep in mind what all is needed if anyone else is interested in doing the same swap. feel free to shoot me questions and i'll answer what i can. i'm not expecting to get it back until the end of November, but i'll have updates along the way.

'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

Still need: Seat, cage, Gillis suspension...then i'm DONE!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to nightracerx
Thumbs up

What's the total cost?

2003 Mazda Mazda6 I Manual Transmission Glacier Silver Metallic
- Atenza badge
- Sports grille
- Lower bumper fog lights
- Apexcone HID 5000K (Coming soon).
post #3 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i asked him to give me a cost for prospective future customers, though i'd imagine it would be just for "local" owners. but i won't know that info until he's all done with it.

this is my first of a 2 part visit with Gillis to help me with a few "projects" that all need custom finesse. so it will go back in January for the rest of the work.

'03 Lapis(mostly) 6i...Tranny swap by Gillis Motorsports : MTX-75 5speed tranny, 4.06 gears, Torsen LSD & chromoly axles, Engine build by Gillis Motorsports: 9:1 Supertech Pistons, Crower rods, Supertech valves, springs & retainers, ARP head & main studs, F2 Stage2 Turbo, Custom F2 engine/tranny mounts, 3" Turboback exhaust, Tein Basic Coilovers, Brembo Big Brake Kit and Rotora Rear Rotors, RacingBeat Front & Rear Sways, Seibon OEM hood, VF Engineering rear engine mount, Powdercoated Valvecover, TEIN hood dampers, Some sort of Body Kit from some company usually last dyno 8/23, 10psi...260HP/267TQ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 08:56 AM

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its interesting thing. This info you provide can be verry useful for me.
Actually what I read about Quaife diffs I prefer it.
So I actually thinking... pay for Quaifes diff and make stronger transmission somehow... or go with other transmission 6speed that can handle it and buy a Quaifes diff for it.
Hard choise...

2003 Mazda 6i 2.3l MTX - STOLEN
Installed : Clutch Masters FX300 Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, CPE MAFci™ System, Audio Link USB MP3, TWM Short Throw Shifter, Carbotech Brake Rotors, Carbotech Performance Brake Pads (Bobcats), CPE Lightweight Battery Tray, Odyssey PC680MJ Battery, TEIN Hood Dampers
post #5 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

from my reading, the quaife wasn't what i was looking for for road racing. when i chatted with Gillis, he confirmed what i'd read and was going to suggest the Torsen if i didn't have a preference. he said the quaife tends to give a more stock feel for the most part, but there is an initial snap when the grip is transfered....which can upset the turn if not ready for it. he said the hardest thing about the Torsen is getting used to the fact that car will not straighten on it's own out of a turn, you have to give feedback for it to come back to center.

though a 6speed would be nice, it's not worth it for me too look for one to fit and then get the internals for it. it would help mileage, but with as much as i've done, that's not top on my list.

post #6 of 250 (permalink) Old 10-26-2006, 06:53 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to kabrone04
where did you find the mtx-75 transmission and how much did it cost? i've been looking for it for 7 months now.

Glacier Silver 6i MTX equipped with Badgeless sport grill, Cosworth BSD kit, SPC Camber Adjustable Ball Joint, Koni Shocks and Racing Beat Springs.
post #7 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 07:03 AM

quess this is a question i shouldn't have asked

Glacier Silver 6i MTX equipped with Badgeless sport grill, Cosworth BSD kit, SPC Camber Adjustable Ball Joint, Koni Shocks and Racing Beat Springs.
post #8 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 07:24 AM

2 MrTea
If you gonna get diff of yours car please if you can make measurments...
Sizes interested is here...
http://www.quaife.co.uk/downloads/technica...Mazda/QDF6F.pdf

2003 Mazda 6i 2.3l MTX - STOLEN
Installed : Clutch Masters FX300 Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, CPE MAFci™ System, Audio Link USB MP3, TWM Short Throw Shifter, Carbotech Brake Rotors, Carbotech Performance Brake Pads (Bobcats), CPE Lightweight Battery Tray, Odyssey PC680MJ Battery, TEIN Hood Dampers
post #9 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i don't know how you can't find an mtx-75....pretty much any junkyard will have a focus in it....it's a super common part. you can also use car-parts.com to find one, usually find one for $300-600. i didn't have to as Gillis builds race cars for USTCC, Spec Focus and now World Challenge....so he has access to whatever i need.

as far as teh diff measurements, i'm not sure what you need? i'm not doing anything with any mazda parts, so any measurement i get is going to be for a Ford. i don't think that would be of any help to anyone?

post #10 of 250 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:40 PM

thanks for the website, i know its a common part but can exactly search a junkyard right about now cause i'm in south korea til aug 2007 . thanks for the reply, hope it works out and let us know how it goes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page