Mazda 6 Forums banner

PCM Reprogramming Codes from Mazdatechinfo.com

28K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  GreenNuggs 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if you guys are aware of this but at www.mazdatechinfo.com, under the Mazda Module Reprogramming, they have PCM Reprogramming code. This is their description:

Online Subscription Access
PCM Reprogramming Codes

PCM Reprogramming codes allow subscribers to program electronic modules on applicable Mazda vehicles (sold in the United States) to the latest calibration level.
See Application chart (PDF version or HTML version) for vehicle coverage.

The subscription includes:

Access to a downloadable software application that you can install on a PC.
Access to a list, arranged by vehicle, of the latest calibration information for emission-related modules.

Recommended Requirements:
Processor – 500 MHz
Memory – 128 MB of RAM
Available Hard Disk Space – 200MB
Graphics Card – 800x600 16-bit color Operating System – Windows 98, 2000, XP or later
Web Browser – Internet Explorer Version 5.5 or later
Adobe Acrobat Reader – Version 5 or later

Required Hardware (Not Included)
As shown in the diagram below, an SAE J2534 pass-thru device is required to use the application.

Hardware validated by Mazda can be purchased separately from a third-party supplier. Validation has been done using the following J2534 pass-thru device and cables:
CarDAQ2534 (includes RS232 and Ethernet cables)
Cable between CarDAQ and Vehicle – CD2534-J1962-FEPS (Sold separately / Required)

PCM Reprogramming Process Overview

1. Purchase a subscription to PCM Reprogramming on this website.
2. Download the application and install it on your PC.
3. Connect the J2534 pass-thru device to the PC and the vehicle, and power it up.
4. Run the application installed on your PC.
5. The application will determine whether or not a new calibration file is available.
6. If you choose to use the new file, the module will be reprogrammed.
7. If PATS functionality is required, it can be chosen from the toolbox.

What's interesting is step 5 and 6. It's looking for a new calibration file on the internet. Now if someone somehow has knowledge how this calibration file is created or what it is, then could it be possible to use that user created file instead of one from Mazda? (ie, after market companies who wants to re-program the ECU/PCM).

Is this something new or am I just slow to catch up with things?

See less See more
#2 ·
Replying to Topic 'PCM Reprogramming Codes from Mazdatechinfo.com'

First you need the/a tool to interface with the car. The tools the dealers use cost thousands of dollars if I remember correctly. Basically its a CAN BUS PCM/ECU updater or something to that effect. I'm not even sure if they are even available to the general public let alone the cost.

Secondly, to answer you question, I think the dealer likely has a subscription with Mazda that allows them access to the updates somewhere through Mazda. And end user like you and I will not have that access.

What we need is 1. a cheaper tool because dealers certainly aren't going to let us use theirs and 2. a copy of the binary rom. I'm guessing if we can get the tool, we can simply get a rom dump of the binary image anyway. Then try to reverse engineer the code and attempt to get the information out of it that we need in addition to modifying that info. This is not a task for the faint hearted. However, this is basically what companies like Diablo do. They may or may not get an image from the manufacturer directly, I don't know, but regardless, they basically reverse engineer it. I remember with the Diablo or Superchip (I can't remember which) chip for the Contour, the image they used was a very basic image for their upgraded chips. Some people were complaining that it was a real hack job.

If someone can get me a rom image, I'd be happy to attempt to do some initial stages work on it. This is basically the type of stuff I do 9-5.

#4 ·

Nice work Dave!

Here are some screenshots from the application:

Plus, they provide the C source code for it!

I say we band together and buy one of these things. Or I *could* make up my own CAN connector and just attempt to hack the source to make an emulator but I'm not much of an EE person.

Here's the manual: http://www.drewtech.com/Support/Register/D...user_manual.pdf

#5 ·

Originally posted by dawei213
What's interesting is step 5 and 6. It's looking for a new calibration file on the internet.
Not the INTERnet, it looks for the new update on Mazda's INTRAnet. You have to be a Mazda dealer to have dedicated access to their INTRAnet.

#6 ·
Reading Topic: PCM Reprogramming Codes from Mazdatechinfo.com

What am I missing, Jay?

And, it appears the interface I found above works:

Hardware validated by Mazda can be purchased separately from a third-party supplier. Validation has been done using the following J2534 pass-thru device and cables:  
CarDAQ2534 (includes RS232 and Ethernet cables)  
Cable between CarDAQ and Vehicle – CD2534-J1962-FEPS (Sold separately / Required)

#7 ·

I don't think you are missing anything expect for the fact that the Mazda updates might not be available to the public without first buying a subscription to their service.

#8 ·

Originally posted by davecoyne

What am I missing, Jay?

I stand corrected. I should have checked the link out.

I am somewhat amazed that Mazda would allow anyone other than a Mazda Service Dept to have access to updates and reflash an ECM. Maybe it's a response to the less than stellar service people have had at some Mazda dealers.

#10 ·

Yeah I remember someone mentioning the device being $15,000 or something, however from the Mazdatechinfo.com and going through a few pages, I have saw the same device that Dave found. Maybe that's all that's needed and with the software application. Think any aftermarket R&D would try to tackle it?

#11 ·

Originally posted by WhoDiddy

sum one hack the governer and take that bitch off.;)
Problem you might run into there is it could be Read Only section of the chip, something they wouldnt' ever modify from ECU updates. Not like going 120+mph is better for emissions or anything so highly unlikely it'd be a field in any of their updates so would have to rom dump or pull out the computer and hack it, screw it up and you could set your gov to 1.25 mph wouldn't that be fun, "My car is topped out in First Gear"

#12 ·

What's interesting from my experience with the Mazda WDS is, if I recall correctly, the prior calibration version is completely erased and replaced, so....ah, hell, I don't know enough about this except to be very dangerous to myself.

#16 ·

Originally posted by w00pie

Originally posted by WhoDiddy

sum one hack the governer and take that bitch off.;)
Problem you might run into there is it could be Read Only section of the chip, something they wouldnt' ever modify from ECU updates. Not like going 120+mph is better for emissions or anything so highly unlikely it'd be a field in any of their updates so would have to rom dump or pull out the computer and hack it, screw it up and you could set your gov to 1.25 mph wouldn't that be fun, "My car is topped out in First Gear"
Highly unlikely there is a read-only portion of the chip, and even if there was, unlikely it would contain the above information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.