Mazda 6 Forums banner

Start up won't turn over, interior lights flickering and clicking

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  formerms6 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I was given an '05 Mazda 6 with the idea that just the alternator needed to be changed. We ended up getting a new battery and switching out the alternator, but now the car when you try to start it up won't turn over. Instead the interior lights flicker out of control and a clicking noise ensues until you take the key out of the start position. This happens both in neutral and in park and right before we were about to call it a night it sounded like a muffled alarm sound (sounded like vibrating or treble) was coming from under the hood just to stop after 2 minutes.

My friend who switched out the alternator thinks it's the starter, but to me it seems like possibly loose wires because the connection seems to be there just not enough. Regardless though I'm not sure, my friend also mentioned he thought he saw a possible oil leak when changing out the alternator so maybe that could potentionally be the problem? Please give me any suggestions you might have!

Thank you so much!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.