Mazda 6 Forums banner

For those with LED turn signal bulbs

10K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
I have the bulbs already, I just need the proper resistors before i install. I've read every post on this forum regarding resistor setups and there's a lot of conflicting information. Some say you only need 3 ohm resistors in the rear to prevent hyper flashing. Others says you need 6 ohm resistors on all 4 corners to prevent hyper flashing.

What is the correct answer to this question? I'm not going to go with the switchback setup in the front, just the standard 7443 amber led.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
As far as I can tell, and what I remember from school, those few extra ohms aren't going to make a world of difference. My setup required 6 ohms per light in the rear ('16 6), and 12 ohms for DF and 6 ohm for PF. If you're worried, start with 3 ohms on each corner and if it hyper flashes, add three more, three more, etc etc. Best of luck.

#3 ·
As far as I can tell, and what I remember from school, those few extra ohms aren't going to make a world of difference. My setup required 6 ohms per light in the rear ('16 6), and 12 ohms for DF and 6 ohm for PF. If you're worried, start with 3 ohms on each corner and if it hyper flashes, add three more, three more, etc etc. Best of luck.
Huh? :huh:
:headscrat:

For two bulbs (either in the front OR back, not both) go with 2 50-watt, 6-ohm resistors.

For all four corners, 2 50-watt, 3-ohm resistors are what you need.

Reactions: ZackDickey
#23 ·
New Question lol: ...I was looking a bit closer at the headlight assembly on my car (2016 M6 GT w/ Tech) and i've noticed that aside from the corner light bulb being amber, it appears as though the corner HOUSING is as well (see pic)... does anybody know if this is something that can be easily removed (ie: is it an insert of some kind or is it molded into the housing body?)?

(not my car, but works for reference)

#26 ·
Yea, I guess it's the reflector I'm seeing. I was thinking that if I replace the Amber bulb with a white one that reflector is still going to cause it to glow Amber...but as I look closer at it, I don't think it's gonna be as big a deal as I was thinking it would be lol. Thanks

#28 ·
Three questions.

1. Where did you get that mounting bracket?
2. Does it transfer heat to the plastic housing behind it?
3. Does it get hot with the running lights on or only with the turn signals? I'm asking because of the switchbacks in the front. Not sure if heat is still generated when the running lights are on and not the turn signals.

Thanks!

#31 · (Edited)
I just completed the install today. I ended up ordering aluminum resistor brackets since they were cheap. I have switchbacks up front and standard 7440 LED's in the rear. I mounted the 3ohm 50 watt resistors in the rear and they work flawlessly as advertised. No hyper flash whatsoever. Took about 30 minutes to do the whole install. Used positaps for the resistors instead of the cheap crimp connectors. So no, you do not need a resistor on all 4 corners.

#32 ·
Good to know! I just got my switchbacks and resistors in the mail the other day and plan to install this weekend. Are the positaps something that can be bought at a hardware or auto store or are they an online specific item?..

#42 ·
Why did you bump a 3yo thread?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.