Mazda 6 Forums banner

Battery stays on after I turn ignition off

201K views 123 replies 72 participants last post by  jenningsdarryl 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all,
I've got a 2014 touring and only a few days ago when I park and hit the ignition switch my battery won't turn off. The radio stays on and I can work the cabin lights but the AC turns off. I've tried over and over again depressing the brakes and turning the car on and off and it won't work.

I've found if I drove the car for about 30 seconds and try again I have success. Is anyone else having a similar issue? I've gone through most of the forums and haven't seen anything similar.

Does anyone know a solution? This is driving me nuts. Thanks!

#2 ·
disconnect your battery on the negative terminal for 5 minutes and see if the issue goes away. Usually that resets everything and fixes the electrical bugs the car runs into.

#16 ·
Has anyone tried this yet? I've been having this issue intermittently with my 2014 Mazda 6, but the frequency has increased in the past week. This would make the 2nd electrical/switch issue my car has had (the first being a faulty solenaid switch, under warranty, luckily). But 2 switch problems in 2 years sounds like lemon law time....

#4 ·
Hello all,
I've got a 2014 touring and only a few days ago when I park and hit the ignition switch my battery won't turn off. The radio stays on and I can work the cabin lights but the AC turns off. I've tried over and over again depressing the brakes and turning the car on and off and it won't work. I've found if I drove the car about 30 seconds and try again I have success. Is anyone else having a similar issue? I've gone through most of the forum and haven't seen anything similar. Does anyone know a solution? This is driving me nuts. Thanks!
OMG!!!!!!! I thought i was the only one with that issue sometimes takes me up to 7-8 minutes before it will shut down has anyone else has this issue and know the answer? I've taken my car to dealer 3 times and they still cant fix it someone help please

#9 ·
2014 Mazda 6, same issue. After I put the car in Park, hit the ignition button, the engine turns off, but the car goes into Aux Mode.. radio works, and car beeps if the door is open. I put my foot back on the break, move the shifter out of park and back into park, press the ignition button, and it turns off. Its almost like the shifter isn't going all the way into Park. Not sure the proper name for "shifter".

Anyone else?

#10 · (Edited)
I've been having the same issue for at least around 6 months now with my 2014 6. I've been periodically looking in the forum(s) for answers, and this is the first time I've found anything.

The way I fix it is to pull the shifter all the way to the right (never leaving 'Park') and then letting it pop back to the left. After that, I turn the car back on (no ignition - foot off brake) and then try to turn it off again... hit the "On" button twice, basically. This resolves the issue 100% of the time for me, though it sometimes takes repeating the steps once or twice more. I can also state that this happens every day on almost every drive. Rare to have it NOT happen, honestly.

When I asked about it at the dealer, they seemed perplexed and also had me try some other things I see recommended in this thread while I was there... opening the door, rolling down the driver side window, etc. On that day, we did also have success with the "open door" method, but I haven't tried that since then, given the rate of success with the "shifter" method.

I'm going to try disconnecting the battery to reset things, and see what I get (though I think we did that at the dealership as well).

Will update as soon as I can...

#66 ·
The way I fix it is to pull the shifter all the way to the right (never leaving 'Park') and then letting it pop back to the left. After that, I turn the car back on (no ignition - foot off brake) and then try to turn it off again... hit the "On" button twice, basically. This resolves the issue 100% of the time for me, though it sometimes takes repeating the steps once or twice more. I can also state that this happens every day on almost every drive. Rare to have it NOT happen, honestly.
If this doesn't work, there is always "up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-select-start"

#14 ·
Same issue here. Pending repairs to make sure, but as I thought, dealer says the parking switch is bad. When you move to park, switch should register its ok to turn off car but it's not getting proper signal so it thinks it's in gear. Same thing would happen if you try to turn car off in neutral .

Repairs plus labor at dealer about 220 to fix. Checking with my local mechanic to see what that would cost there.

#19 ·
Yep. There's a switch that tells the car the gear selector is in Park, and it's not working.

Bet if you take the top of the console off (trim panels) you can find the switch, and if it's broken it's probably easy to fix too; it might have come loose from its mounting, but odds are the switch itself is bad.

The stealer is going to charge you bigtime if you're out of warranty on this one but so long as getting to the switch is not hard it should be an easy repair to make on your own, and I would do exactly that.

#20 ·
Hello all,
I've got a 2014 touring and only a few days ago when I park and hit the ignition switch my battery won't turn off. The radio stays on and I can work the cabin lights but the AC turns off. I've tried over and over again depressing the brakes and turning the car on and off and it won't work. I've found if I drove the car about 30 seconds and try again I have success. Is anyone else having a similar issue? I've gone through most of the forum and haven't seen anything similar. Does anyone know a solution? This is driving me nuts. Thanks!
I have the same problem, runs the battery down overnight. I have had it to the dealership. HA!! They replaced the battery in the key fob and sent me on my way. That is NOT the problem. It is still doing it.

#21 ·
Definitely having the same problem with my 2014 Mazda 6. However, it is extremely intermittent for me. It has happened a total of 3 time over the past year with at least a month or two between incidents. My only solution is to drive it around a bit and try to turn it off again.

Sounds like a kind of crazy work around that jl4strng posted above. Hopefully there is some permanent solution out there. If anyone has finally figured out how to fix the problem please let me know. Thanks!

Apparently I never got to the second page of this thread! After reading the second page, I will now try and replace the parking switch... Thanks!!!

#23 ·
Hi Mog108 and tickerguy,

You both said you fixed the "Battery stays on after I turn ignition off!" problem by having the dealer replace the parking switch. However, I've talked to my local dealer a couple of times and they don't have a clue as to which switch you are talking about.

Please give me the names of your Mazda dealers so I can call and talk to them and then pass on the info to my local guys.

Also, if you still have your invoices for the repair, please post the part number that was replaced.

Thanks!

#26 ·
Thanks for posting the part number.

Quick google found the switch itself appears to be about $50
https://www.buymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-switch-kdy046040

Also found Mazda Service Bulletin No. 05-004/16
Ignition Does Not Turn Off When Pressing Start/Stop Button

Includes following note:
DESCRIPTION
When pressing the START/STOP button, the ignition ma y not turn off on some vehicles equipped with a gate- type AT shifter. Although the shift lever is in “P” posit ion and the engine shuts off normally, the ignition may stay on (in accessory mode).

This concern may be caused by a worn switch unit. To eliminate this concern, the switch unit material has been changed to improve wear resistance. Modified switch units have been established as new service parts.

#27 ·
Hey guys my car is doing this as well and I am going to the dealership tomorrow to see if they have the switch in stock (KDY0-46-040), if not I will order it online. I was just curious if y'all were getting the message, "Shift into P" when in P as well. I am pretty sure it is this switch, but I wanted to make sure before I rip my shifter panel apart to get to the switch. Thanks

#28 ·
Hi Guys,
This exact issue just happened on my 2009 Mazda 6 GH.
Battery reset did not help. The radio will only switch off when I manually turn it off.
Its exactly like the TSB describes.. But it's 2009 model.
Just wondering if this same switch will work for my transmission?
Also, could someone describe the door reset method, if it's even worth trying?
Any help appreciated

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Sounds like I have the same/similar symptoms. Went out to the car today to turn on the AC and cool off. After about ten minutes I hit the button to turn the car off, I was in park. Everything turned off except for the radio and the message on dash was "Put car in park" or something to that effect. I tried getting out but the doors wouldn't even lock. Ok, tried again, same thing. Drove around for about 20 seconds, put the car in park again, hit button, same deal. Finally slammed through all of the gears in a spot and really pushed it into park and the entire car turns off. This is frustrating as hell. Is it the parking sensor?

#30 ·
Certainly sounds like a worn out park sensor switch.

We really need somebody to make a DIY on this- I'm surprised at how common this issue has become.

Reactions: Driverr6
#31 ·
Has anyone changed this themselves? My wife's CX-5 has the same problem and the dealer just told me $360 to fix it for a new shifter. Yeah...I we have bought 24 cars from them over 2 decades! I can fix it if it's just as simple as replacing it...as long as no programming is involved.

Reactions: Driverr6