post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet Wireless Charger

I've been searching for a wireless charger for the car that actually looks reasonable - if you haven't ever looked for them, they're usually pretty big and bulky.

I funded an indiegogo campaign a while ago called The Air Dock, and it's a Qi-compatible charger that fits exactly where I envisioned it. It arrived on Friday and I am in love with it. The base of the charger sits inside the tray under the AC controls, which allows the cords to be hidden without any extra work. I chose the bendy arm, and the combo of the sticky suction and the angle of the bendy arm secure it really firmly in that position under the dash. It's low, yes, but I sit low in the seat so it's not bad. I also sit with my hand on the gear shift, so touching the phone is really accessible and easy.

Anyway, it's fantastic. I'd been looking for an acceptable phone mount for this car for a while now, and I thought some of you might as well!

More details and photos in my post:
New Toys: The Air Dock | it's about bre.

PS I am not associated with Air Dock at all, I just am super pumped to have found a charger/mount that looks good in this car and wanted to share!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breannesp For This Useful Post:
Gavintech (03-18-2014), Sideways the Seven (03-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice!

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Groans: 2
have totally been looking for something like this! nice find.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

05 Mazda3 Hatch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
I can't believe you hang your purse off the shifter.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
I'm confused. How does the mount get power? I see a dual USB powerpoint on the site but it seems like a gooseneck mount that jacks directly into the powerpoint and then magnetically holds and charges the phone would be a no-brainer.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

@eyedocorlando : It's not my purse hanging off the shifter, it's a little trashbag I made (hello, Sally Homemaker!). Not super sleek, but it's way better than me throwing my gum wrappers and receipts somewhere and forgetting to take them out of the car when I get out!

@jazzdab : It gets power through a 2.1A adapter plugged into the cig lighter socket in there. From there, it goes USB > microUSB into the faceplate. This is the only charger that is both magnetic and has wireless capabilities that I've found so far, and believe me, I've looked. It seems like a no-brainer to me too. Other than this one, I've only seen some DIY options that do this kind of thing- none that are ready for me to buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to breannesp For This Useful Post:
eyedocorlando (03-19-2014)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Look like your knee will be constantly banging on the the phone with way it's mounted.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

No, not unless your knee knocks against that corner anyway. It doesn't stick out far from the car's profile. Even if I lean my legs to the right, I don't even come close to hitting it. I'm only 5'6", though, so I guess it could potentially be an issue for taller people.

I also wanted to mount it down there so I didn't have to mess with hiding wires or seeing exposed cables.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I really like that! I wasn't in the market for a wireless charger, but now I kind of want one lol. I read on the website that the long flexible mount has a suction cup that can only stick to glass. How did you attach it to the rubbery floor of the compartment in which you have it mounted? Or is it just wedged in there?

2014 Mazda 6 Snowflake White Pearl Grand Touring almond interior w/RMCC+FOW, 20% window tints all around, rear debadged

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

The suction cup itself only sticks to glass, but it comes with a sticky pad that attaches to the bottom of the suction cup to assist in sticking to your dash or whatever other surface. The texture of the inside of that console isn't super conducive to that, still, so wedging it in there with the help of that bendy arm is definitely helping - not sure it'd stay in position if it didn't have both the sticky base holding it in place and the bendy arm pressing down from the underside of the climate control area.

However, it would attach way better if that textured area weren't textured... I wonder if the inside of that console can be smoothed somehow or removed completely without looking like a disaster. Has anyone messed with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page