'14 Nav/Radio/Head Unit Petition for S/W Update! - Page 51 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #501 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spoke to my dealership in Dublin yesterday. They told me they're checking on the availability of the fix from Mazda UK every couple of days. They had been told mid to late April so it could be any day now. Again tho, I get the impression it Just the Bluetooth module and its software driver that's being replaced. Apparently the Bluetooth module is also responsible for the usb port.
So unfortunately I wouldn't expect anything "fancy" like album art or graphic equaliser and it goes without saying the screen size will remain the same. I'm ok putting up with the other issues the unit has as long as it remembers what I had been listening to, doesn't play the same first song every time and doesn't take five minutes to re-read the usb every time I start the engine.
Having said all that, if Mazda offered me an upgrade to a bigger screen with all the bells and whistles for an extra 1000 Euro or so...I'd go for it!...after checking to see if the new infotainment system they were offering actually works that is!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to Raegten For This Useful Post:
Sideways the Seven (04-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #502 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
The day I find an aftermarket head unit that I can verify works correctly I'm buying and installing it.

The problem is finding that device. I will eventually get frustrated enough with the stupidity to attempt building something out of a tablet and high-end DAC.
post #503 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raegten View Post
I spoke to my dealership in Dublin yesterday. They told me they're checking on the availability of the fix from Mazda UK every couple of days. They had been told mid to late April so it could be any day now. Again tho, I get the impression it Just the Bluetooth module and its software driver that's being replaced. Apparently the Bluetooth module is also responsible for the usb port.
Bluetooth module is responsible for USB port handling. This is excerpt from MESI concerning the difference between USB port handling in CX-5 before and after IPM (after IPM = same unit as in 6 GJ):

With color LCD (Before IPM)
1. When the USB device/iPod is connected to the USB port for the auxiliary jack/USB port, the auxiliary jack/USB port sends the audio signal of the USB device/iPod to the audio unit.
2. When the audio unit is switched to the USB mode using the USB switch of the display or the commander switch, the audio unit outputs the audio signal sent from the auxiliary jack/USB port to the speakers.

With color LCD (After IPM)
1. When the USB device/iPod is connected to the USB port for the auxiliary jack/USB port, the auxiliary jack/USB port sends the audio signal of the USB device/iPod to the Bluetooth unit.
2. When the audio unit is switched to the USB mode using the USB button in the audio unit display, the command switch operation, or the voice recognition function, the USB mode request signal is sent to the Bluetooth unit via CAN communication.
3. When the Bluetooth unit receives the USB mode request signal from the audio unit, the Bluetooth unit sends the voice signal for the USB device/iPod to the audio unit via CAN communication.
4. The audio unit outputs the voice signal received from the Bluetooth unit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shr3k For This Useful Post:
danstheman7 (04-15-2014), Raegten (04-15-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #504 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I took my car in for regular maintenance including an oil change and tire rotation, and the service representative mentioned there is a firmware update for the navigation system.

It's not what everyone was hoping for, but now the navigation system seems a lot more speedy in getting around its menu system. I have yet to see if the firmware improves on voice recognition, but hoping it does. I'll try it out tonight on my way home.
post #505 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Rally Racer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
The day I find an aftermarket head unit that I can verify works correctly I'm buying and installing it.

The problem is finding that device. I will eventually get frustrated enough with the stupidity to attempt building something out of a tablet and high-end DAC.
If you do that, you let me know.

-Brandon
2003 Infiniti M45
1981 Chevrolet Silverado RCLB (heh, try me)
post #506 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbam987 View Post
I took my car in for regular maintenance including an oil change and tire rotation, and the service representative mentioned there is a firmware update for the navigation system. .
No. There's been an update for the nav unit since February....it's not the usb/Bluetooth fix tho. Just a fix for minor issues AFAIK.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #507 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbam987 View Post
I took my car in for regular maintenance including an oil change and tire rotation, and the service representative mentioned there is a firmware update for the navigation system.

It's not what everyone was hoping for, but now the navigation system seems a lot more speedy in getting around its menu system. I have yet to see if the firmware improves on voice recognition, but hoping it does. I'll try it out tonight on my way home.
TomTom navigation module, also connected over other USB, is however completely different device running Android OS (Froyo).
post #508 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Learners License

From Mazda ESI, circuit schemas and some reverse engineering.
post #509 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I got this in my mail a couple days ago (below). Looks like SW update is on the way that may include HW... let's cross fingers ;-)

"First of all, thank you again to all of the loyal people who have called Mazda about their issues with the NB1 Infotainment unit in our cars.
Whether you are from the USA, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Europe, Australia, Belgium, The Netherlands, or one of the many other nationalities who have taken part in this petition, I greatly appreciate your help.

*****I'm happy to report a bit of new information!*****

Recently I spoke with Mazda North American Operations, about the issues listed in the petition. Although I've been politely badgering them for months, I received official verbal and written confirmation that an update is in the works!

Now, the employee was unable to give an exact timeline for the update (not a surprise), but the update is "In the final stages of testing" over at Mazda Motor Corp in Japan, and is coming "soon". Although, again, I was told it could be weeks or months, we now have official confirmation of an upcoming update from a legitimate source!

Also interesting is the small tidbit of information the representative mentioned in passing (and had been rumored about around the forums beforehand): The update may include Hardware AND Software.

Take that information as you will, since it was said in passing, but we now officially have confirmation that an update is coming, and soon!

Once I hear an official confirmation the update is out, whether from my dealer or from the Mazda Customer Experience Center, I'll send a final burst message out to you supporters, and close the petition and mark it successful.

Without a doubt, this petition influenced Mazda's decision to try and resolve our issues.

Now let's just be patient! Hold on tight "
The Following User Says Thank You to sscielzo For This Useful Post:
joejdsn (04-15-2014)
post #510 of 1300 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
yeah but no offense, that is just heresay. Who knows when anything will ever happen if it does.

I got the same line of crap last May (we are aware of the problem and working on it)

2014 Mazda6 Touring w/ Tech pkg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page