Question about hooking up Ipod to 2014 Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question about hooking up Ipod to 2014 Mazda 6

Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this...anyhow.

I recently got a 2014 Mazda 6, and I must agree with everyone else...the car is pretty sweet. Though I ran across a small problem. Every time I hook up my ipod to the car through the USB it says scanning ipod, or connecting to ipod, something along those lines. The problem is that it takes a really long time to connect, and to be honest I've had the car for a couple of days and I've seen it connect to my ipod only once (cause I got tired of waiting the rest of the times).
I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem? I want to know if it is the ipod, my car, or the actual Mazda software they are using.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 695 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Thanked 3,792 Times in 2,642 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your recent purchase.

I've not yet tried the iPhone/iPod connection via USB so I'm not sure if it's on the Mazda end or on the iPod. What kind/year and software version is on the iPod?

I'll test mine on my way home today from work.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

post #3 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Learners License

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do older iPods have bluetooth? If so could you use that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
Do older iPods have bluetooth? If so could you use that?
iPod Touch 1st generation does, anything older than that would not. The problem with Bluetooth playback (on Apple's End) is that you CANNOT shuffle songs. It will shuffle to the first song, but will continue in whatever order the playlist is in after that.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...

post #5 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

I have an ipod classic 7th gen, I checked the software and is up to date.
post #6 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betito View Post
I have an ipod classic 7th gen, I checked the software and is up to date.
I'll check my iPhone 4 when I leave work today - unfortunately I think I'm going to report back and say it's something to do with the compatibility of your iPod and the car :\ even though your iPod is fairly new.

Let's hope it's just a software bug and it can be fixed with a patch.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

post #7 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
I also have to try this. I've been using he Bluetooth connectivity and prefer it since I do t have to hook the phone up to anything.
post #8 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Alright tried this on my way home.

Either:

1) You have very little patience while it's connecting.

or (more likely)

2) You have a TON of songs on the iPod.

From what I could see, the car pre-loads most of the songs (or at least the song information) into it's RAM so that playback is smoother and a little better - this also reduces strain on the Navi's CPU. I only have a couple thousand songs on my iPhone and it took about 2 minutes to fully load everything and start playing. Once playing it was fine.

Your iPod should be capable of bluetooth, and I'd suggest that's the best way to go with it. But like I mentioned earlier, Apple has a problem with their playback software that doesn't allow Shuffle to be used in playback through Bluetooth.

So either you wait for the songs to load each time, or you listen to your playlists without shuffle - your call

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

post #9 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Thank you for the feedback! Yes, for me since my ipod is almost full (about 120gb worth of music and videos) it takes about 10 minutes to load. I was very used to the Toyota I used to drive which would load the ipod in less than a minute and would remember where I left the songs at.
Anyhow, after much patience I realized that there is nothing wrong with either the car or the ipod. Maybe new software patches might make the loading a bit smoother, who knows.
Anyhow, thank you for the help!
post #10 of 324 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Learners License

Thumbs down IPOD Reading

I've got the same issue as Betito where my ipod is full and the stereo system is simply stuck at 'reading'. I'm a software developer and that's just plain poor software. I'm very surprised it made through any sort of usability tests that Mazda would subject it to. If we make enough noise, perhaps we'll get lucky enough that they update their software. That's a shame since so far, my 2014 Grand is awesome in just about every other way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spinelli For This Useful Post:
OregonMazda6Owner (10-16-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page