Mazda 6 Forums banner

All 3rd Generation Bulb #s

168K views 213 replies 77 participants last post by  Byakuya 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time we got a list of all the bulb #'s on the 3rd generation Mazda 6 so that we don't have a million threads asking "WUT SEYEZ BULBS DO I NEED?Z!!"

Best places that you can go to for *MOST* LED bulbs are:

Site Sponsor:
Diode Dynamics

Others:
Autolumination
SuperBrightLEDs
V-LEDs

HIDs:
DDMTuning
The Retrofit Source <-- Higher Quality, more $

I'll update this list as often as I can because I'm just as curious to know all the bulbs as you all are.

So far we know:

Headlights/Fogs:

• Halogen:
    • High Beam - 60watt HB3
    • Low Beam - 55watt H11
  • Xenon Fusion:
    • High/Low beam - 35watt D4S (D4S)
  • Fog Lights - 55watt H11

Daytime Running Lights:
  • Halogen:
    • 60watt HB3 (HB3)
  • Xenon Fusion:
    • LED*

Turn Signals/Parking Lights:
  • Front turn signal lights/Parking lights (Front side-marker lights) (Halogen Only)
    • 27/8watt ― (#7444NA)
  • Front turn signal lights/ Front side-marker lights (Xenon Fusion Only)
    • 27/8watt ― (#7444NA)
  • Others:
    • Parking Lights - LED*
    • Side Turn Signals - LED*
    • High-mount Brake Light - LED*
    • Rear Turn Signals - 21watt WY21W (22.3CP)
    • Rear Side Marker Light- 5watt W5W (194)
    • Taillights (Trunk Lid Side) - 5watt W5W (194)
    • Reverse Lights - 7440
    • License Plate Lights - 5watt W5W (194)

Interior Lights
  • Courtesy Lights - 194
  • Map/Dome Lights - 3175 "Festoon" 31mm
  • Glove Box Light - 194
  • Vanity Lights - 28mm "Festoon"
  • Trunk Light - 74

* - Do not know size or the LED is not serviceable separately as a part.

Please let me know any other bulbs you find out. I will be slowly gathering this information from my own car as well :)

DIYs

See less See more
#2 ·
Always a very useful thread. I put my deposit in on my new 6 last Friday. I should hopefully get it in a week or so. Then the tinkering can begin.

Sent from my SPH-M930BST using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
Yeah it's been below freezing here for quite some time - that and I don't get home from work until it's pitch black out, then leave in the morning when the sun isn't up. I'm hoping in the next week or so I can really start tinkering and getting the bulb numbers down.

But anyone who finds out numbers beforehand just let me know and I can update the OP :) - That's what this thread is all about.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Confirmed, the LEDs in the Dome/Map lights are 31mm "festoon" bulbs, or otherwise 3175.

***Note*** - The 31mm bulbs will fit in the front map lights, but the actual size of the OEM bulbs is a 29mm. Fit isn't really a problem, just a tighter squeeze. The back dome lights fit perfectly since they have a different harness.

I have taken pictures and will write up a short DIY on replacing the bulbs when I get a chance :)

#11 ·
Has anyone found a decent HB3 running light that's shines white instead of yellow?

#14 ·
So far I have switched out the following bulbs to LED's.

Rear Side Marker Light- 5watt W5W (194) Not that much of a change from OEM bulb
Reverse Lights - 21watt W21W (921) Will install today
License Plate Lights - 5watt W5W (194) Nice improvement over OEM

Interior Lights
Courtesy Lights - 194 Installed blue LED's love it.
Map/Dome Lights - 3175 "Festoon" My favorite change so far. Huge improvement over the OEM bulbs.

#15 ·
#16 ·
So just a heads up for anyone else having this issue,

I purchased the following to replace my Front turn signals
IG Tuning 27-SMD Amber/Yellow 7440 7441 7443 7444 992A T20 LED Replacement Bulbs Reverse Light, Backup Daytime Running Light (DRL), Turn Signal Light, Corner Light, Stop Light, Parking Light, Side Marker Light, Tail Light, and Backup Lights 12V : Ama

The issue with replacing these is that when you swap the stock incandescent bulb for LED, it triggers the hyper blinking signal which, if you can tolerate it, is fine but still a pain in the butt.

If you plan on replacing to LED's, you will most likely have to install the following to your hook up
50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) : Amazon.com : Automotive
They are load resistors to correct the wattage going from the car to the bulb. They get very hot so mount them properly and in a cleared space.

Just installed the lights today and read up on the load resistors once these hyper ticking went off. Just thought I would share.

Also, I did an install of some Kensun HID HB3's for my DRL's (yay acronyms) Theres another thread similar that I will post night time pics when I get the chance.
Happy Modding!

Reactions: Liquidsilver6
#17 · (Edited)
So just a heads up for anyone else having this issue,

I purchased the following to replace my Front turn signals
IG Tuning 27-SMD Amber/Yellow 7440 7441 7443 7444 992A T20 LED Replacement Bulbs Reverse Light, Backup Daytime Running Light (DRL), Turn Signal Light, Corner Light, Stop Light, Parking Light, Side Marker Light, Tail Light, and Backup Lights 12V : Ama

The issue with replacing these is that when you swap the stock incandescent bulb for LED, it triggers the hyper blinking signal which, if you can tolerate it, is fine but still a pain in the butt.

If you plan on replacing to LED's, you will most likely have to install the following to your hook up
50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) : Amazon.com : Automotive
They are load resistors to correct the wattage going from the car to the bulb. They get very hot so mount them properly and in a cleared space.

Just installed the lights today and read up on the load resistors once these hyper ticking went off. Just thought I would share.

Also, I did an install of some Kensun HID HB3's for my DRL's (yay acronyms) Theres another thread similar that I will post night time pics when I get the chance.
Happy Modding!
Hey thanks for the input. I agree on those led DRL's being really pricey so I found some cheaper (about half the price) alternatives on ebay. Do you know if we need the no error fix?

Here's what I'm looking at:

2 Pcs 9005 HB3 CREE LED Plasma Projector Bulbs 11W Daytime Running Light DRL | eBay

2X SMD 11W LED 9005 HB3 SMD High Power DRL Fog Lights Bulbs White Lamp w Cover | eBay

#18 ·
Guys nice finds. Just an FYI though - LED light doesn't cut through darkness/fog/rain/snow even close to as well as halogen or HID.

LED light isn't supposed to be projected, so if you still want 100% functionality out of your fogs then this isn't the way to go.

However, if you're going for just the look, then they look fantastic.

#25 ·
So the DRL is a 60W HB3. Is there a bulb out there like PIAA or Sylvania or something that gives out a whiter light than the current halogen without having to install LED's?

I can't stand the yellowish light on the DRL and I don't want to lose the DRL function by installing LED. Very annoying. I ordered the Morimoto set from Retrofit but need to do something with these DRL's.

#28 ·
I did some digging and came to the conclusion that any halogen bulb you replace the DRL with you're going to get yellow light since it's running on half the power. To reach the white level the bulb needs full power which means you woul need to have the high beams active at all times and disable DRL.

So in conclusion it would be a waste to get any other halogen bulb to replace the stock bulb unless you want brighter and whiter high beams. Going to have to live with the yellow during daytime driving and just enjoy the Morimoto white at night :)

#41 ·
31mm Festoon Dome Lights

Also would this fit the Reverse Lights?

I know it says its a 921, but the CrossReference says its good.

But I bought these for the tail lights on the trunk and after seeing both, the reverse lights look a lot bigger than these:

194 LED Bulb - 15 SMD LED Wedge Base Tower | Miniature Wedge Base LEDs | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Any Ideas?
Wedge will (usually) fit but aren't really meant for those spots. 921 is the real size you want to fit there and that's the bulb type that will work best.