Info display/radio not working, help. - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Electrical
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Info display/radio not working, help.

Hey guys, the problem is that the info display and the radio is not working. But where the radio connects to the car, the plug is different, so it looks like the radio was replaced and is not the right one. My question is: are all the 6 cd-players interchangable? (it has bose system) Or did they change them within the years? it is an 05 model. Thanks for yor help!!

Last edited by CCCP; 03-28-2010 at 10:31 PM.
CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

The LCD info display is definitely connected to the "radio". Actually there is a circuit board behind the trim panel for the radio/climate control stack that talks to the radio and climate control and then controls the info display.

There was a change in LCD displays in around 2005-2006. I believe the 2003-2005 models had an LCD display with a 16 pin connector and the 2006-2008 models have a 12 pin LCD display connector. Cosmetically the design of the trim panel and radios were changed in around 2005 as well... the older models have brushed aluminum finish panel and the newer models are gunmetal-color with chrome edges and piano black finish radio face.

I can't say for the newer models, but for at least the older models, the radio units were a "modular audio" design. The CD player unit could be swapped from NO unit to single CD to 6 CD changer to MP3 CD, and the tape unit could be swapped from NO tape to mini disc to cassette tape just by replacing the modules. So theoretically if you had the 6 CD changer with cassette tape, you could unbolt and remove the top CD changer module and the middle cassette tape module and you would still have a working radio with FM/AM.

The Bose "radios" and the non-Bose "radios" should have the same plug connectors but with different wiring pinouts. The Bose radio harness runs to an external amp whereas the non-Bose units drive the speakers directly. The Bose radio has line-level outputs where the non-Bose has amplified speaker-level outputs at the same wires. Otherwise the wiring at the back of the radio is almost the same.

I can't say for sure, but theoretically the CD and tape modules should be the same whether you had the Bose or non-Bose.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
The LCD info display is definitely connected to the "radio". Actually there is a circuit board behind the trim panel for the radio/climate control stack that talks to the radio and climate control and then controls the info display.

There was a change in LCD displays in around 2005-2006. I believe the 2003-2005 models had an LCD display with a 16 pin connector and the 2006-2008 models have a 12 pin LCD display connector. Cosmetically the design of the trim panel and radios were changed in around 2005 as well... the older models have brushed aluminum finish panel and the newer models are gunmetal-color with chrome edges and piano black finish radio face.

I can't say for the newer models, but for at least the older models, the radio units were a "modular audio" design. The CD player unit could be swapped from NO unit to single CD to 6 CD changer to MP3 CD, and the tape unit could be swapped from NO tape to mini disc to cassette tape just by replacing the modules. So theoretically if you had the 6 CD changer with cassette tape, you could unbolt and remove the top CD changer module and the middle cassette tape module and you would still have a working radio with FM/AM.

The Bose "radios" and the non-Bose "radios" should have the same plug connectors but with different wiring pinouts. The Bose radio harness runs to an external amp whereas the non-Bose units drive the speakers directly. The Bose radio has line-level outputs where the non-Bose has amplified speaker-level outputs at the same wires. Otherwise the wiring at the back of the radio is almost the same.

I can't say for sure, but theoretically the CD and tape modules should be the same whether you had the Bose or non-Bose.

Hope this helps.
Picture 1

ok, in this picture the connector circled in RED does not match the car, the car has all stock wiring, everything fits like a glove, except the circled part in red, is this why the information display does not work???
The radio, cd, climate control... everything on the dash board works, but the info display.

Picture 2

This is the back of the information display, the connector fits perfectly with the car at side A. Is there suppose to be something at side B? because it looks like an empty spot.

So is the info display not working because the part circled in RED does not fit?

Thank you guys!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Learners License

Does anyone maybe have a picture of a stock stereo from 2005???
Old 03-26-2010, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

The circled blue connector is suppose to connect to the stereo, but like i said it does not fit, only fits on the display, maybe it has a wrong connector?

Does anyone know what the connector circled in green is for???? maybe that is where the info display connects to?? or no??

Last edited by CCCP; 03-26-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

bump
Old 03-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Hi

The connector that you circled in RED at the top is supposed to be for an external CD disc changer that I believe mounts in the trunk. Some iPod adapters use that connector, so don't worry about that.

The back of the LCD that you labeled A and B... is supposed to be like that. It is not missing a connector, there is only supposed to be one connector on the back.

The LCD unit you have appears to have the 16 pin connector which I believe is the 2003-2005 model like mine. The 2006-2008 models I believe have a 12 pin connector.

The connector you circled in green... is connected to the LCD display. There is supposed to be a short cable with a long and flat rectangular end that plugs in to the circuit board, and then the other end is a short and stubby rectangular white male connector plug that your LCD display connector plugs into. It would mate up with the end of the LCD display cable that you have above.

Referring to the image above that you made the circle in red... there is supposed to be a bracket in the top left hand part of the image that this male plug clips onto just like that connector in the top right hand side of the image that sticks out diagonally. That piece of metal sticking out in the top left of the image is the bracket where that male connector clips onto. You can see that piece of metal bracket more clearly in the image where you have labeled "A" and "B"

Note that it also appears that you have a mismatch, I think you have a 2003-2005 type LCD display and a 2006-2008 type audio unit.

You are definitely missing a cable there, but I can't say for sure if you would need a different LCD display unit as well. Take it to the Mazda dealer and see if they can order the cable. You might need the 2003 type pigtail which has the 16 pin plug. But I can't say for sure if the 2003 pigtail will plug into the 2006 circuit board. At worst you would have to buy the 2006 pigtail and a 2006 LCD unit.

See here for a picture of the 2006-2008 LCD display unit with 12 pin connector:
Ebay 2006-2008 LCD

See here for the back of a 2003-2005 radio unit to get an idea where that "missing" connector is:
2003-2005 back of radio
CCCP (03-28-2010)
Old 03-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
Originally Posted by makk View Post
Hi

The connector that you circled in RED at the top is supposed to be for an external CD disc changer that I believe mounts in the trunk. Some iPod adapters use that connector, so don't worry about that.

The back of the LCD that you labeled A and B... is supposed to be like that. It is not missing a connector, there is only supposed to be one connector on the back.

The LCD unit you have appears to have the 16 pin connector which I believe is the 2003-2005 model like mine. The 2006-2008 models I believe have a 12 pin connector.

The connector you circled in green... is connected to the LCD display. There is supposed to be a short cable with a long and flat rectangular end that plugs in to the circuit board, and then the other end is a short and stubby rectangular white male connector plug that your LCD display connector plugs into. It would mate up with the end of the LCD display cable that you have above.

Referring to the image above that you made the circle in red... there is supposed to be a bracket in the top left hand part of the image that this male plug clips onto just like that connector in the top right hand side of the image that sticks out diagonally. That piece of metal sticking out in the top left of the image is the bracket where that male connector clips onto. You can see that piece of metal bracket more clearly in the image where you have labeled "A" and "B"

Note that it also appears that you have a mismatch, I think you have a 2003-2005 type LCD display and a 2006-2008 type audio unit.

You are definitely missing a cable there, but I can't say for sure if you would need a different LCD display unit as well. Take it to the Mazda dealer and see if they can order the cable. You might need the 2003 type pigtail which has the 16 pin plug. But I can't say for sure if the 2003 pigtail will plug into the 2006 circuit board. At worst you would have to buy the 2006 pigtail and a 2006 LCD unit.

See here for a picture of the 2006-2008 LCD display unit with 12 pin connector:
Ebay 2006-2008 LCD

See here for the back of a 2003-2005 radio unit to get an idea where that "missing" connector is:
2003-2005 back of radio

Yup, I realized this all, when I went to the dealer and they gave the whole assembly in pictures, Im in fact missing a cable that from one side connects to the dash and the other side sits on the metal part where LCD would plug in.... thank you!!! we figured it out.

I was also wondering if you might know where I can find the pin-out diagram for this stereo, for the connecter circled in red, like which is the aux, R+, L+, signal and ground, because I want to wire a 3.5mm connector... thank you!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Learners License

See below:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/mazdaspe...se-system.html
Pinout on page 4

CD Changer Pinout

Last edited by makk; 03-29-2010 at 12:54 PM.
makk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

I have a similar problem with my Infodisplay. But my show: _ _ _ - - - - - - - - _ _

Dunno why. I've checked all the cables and they are ok. So could it be the Base-unit or maybe the unit inside the trim? I guess it should be a faulty Base-unit. Because if it wasn't, it should at least show some information like ACC or Stereo. But it shows none. But any advice of what to do?
xenopsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.