License Plate Cover that has HI IR LED Bulbs! - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't find much on google. or any laws against this. Will fabbing up a plate that goes around the plate that has like 20+ IR bulbs flashing work against red light cameras and what not?

Also.. anyone know how to wire the brake light to a switch that turns it from regular. to off.. to flashing 4 times a second?

MazdaSpeed6 GT 07 Black Mica:
15% Tint - LI + V1 (+infinite saves, 1 ticket) - AEM UEGO, STRI Boost/Oil Pressure - Red Top
RPM Sport Springs - B/S, EGR Delete - CAR_LED Tails - Smoked Reflectors - TWM SS Stage 2
MrLilGuy's CDFP - ETS 3.25" TMIC+1G DSM BOV - CS DP/RP+ATP VES(Catless) - Cobb AP

GB FOR Laser Interceptor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting idea with the IR bulbs. It's possible it could glare the cameras but I don't know if it would obscure the plate number.

As far as the flashing brake I woudl think you need a 3 selection swith with 1 broken circuit, 1 regular circuit and one with a capacitor of some sort in line. Why 4 times a second?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to karlt10
QUOTE (ktan91 @ Jul 12 2008, 02:55 PM)
Quote:
I can't find much on google. or any laws against this. Will fabbing up a plate that goes around the plate that has like 20+ IR bulbs flashing work against red light cameras and what not?

Also.. anyone know how to wire the brake light to a switch that turns it from regular. to off.. to flashing 4 times a second?[/b]

a) You can't honestly believe that you're going to outwit a camera with LEDs..........

b) No point in going to effort- they sell them. I've noticed elderly with 3rd brake lights that flash at first application lately. Pretty stupid looking in reality. Makes it look like the bulb is shorting out or ready to die.

MazdaSpeed springs & bars / Bilstein / Steeda Adj FR links / Racing Beat RR links / GTSpec Rear Susp & Trailing Braces / Steeda shock tower brace
EBC Ultimax rotors & Redstuff pads / StopTech lines / Motul fluid
MSDS headers / Magnaflow cat / Racing Beat mufflers / Cork Sport urethane hangers / WeaponX coils / AER CAI / Fluidampr pulley
EGR mod / FilterMag / Street Unit engine mount /
B&M trans cooler / Amsoil fluid
Mazda iPod adapter
/ CX7 antenna
Continental Extreme DWS / Bridgestone Blizzak
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to doublebass120
QUOTE (KarlT10 @ Jul 20 2008, 08:11 AM)
Quote:
a) You can't honestly believe that you're going to outwit a camera with LEDs..........

b) No point in going to effort- they sell them. I've noticed elderly with 3rd brake lights that flash at first application lately. Pretty stupid looking in reality. Makes it look like the bulb is shorting out or ready to die.[/b]
A) The infrared LEDs are invisible to the human eye, but a camera will pick them up. I doubt the IR LEDs will be able to produce enough light for this application.

B) I agree, it doesn't look right, but their intention is to catch the driver's attention.

OEM Appearance Package | Black Headlights | CarPC | (soon) FX Projectors w/ revived Euro Headlight Motors
Registry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
QUOTE (ktan91 @ Jul 12 2008, 02:55 PM)
Quote:
I can't find much on google. or any laws against this. Will fabbing up a plate that goes around the plate that has like 20+ IR bulbs flashing work against red light cameras and what not?[/b]

Sounds like a job for the mythbusters. I'd like to see if this really works. And since it's IR, I doubt any laws are on the books prohibiting this, except perhaps the FCC may have an issue since it'd be designed to generate interference with another electrical device, (I don't know if this applies only to objects generating RF energy or not) but, it'd be no different than a laser jammer in essence.

2003 Performance White 6s MTX, CPE CAI MAF-CI, Xtec 5000K HIDs, Superwhite LEDs, TB bypass, EGR mod, Iridium NGKs, 25% tint, clear sidemarkers w/ turn signal mod, brakelight mod, SU MM, MazdaSpeed Short Throw Shifter, Custom Exhaust: 12" glass pak resonator and axle-back Str8s, Flat Black painted bezels, Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Fidanza Flywheel, ceramic pads, Redline MT-90, Mobil-1 0W-20 and Mobil-1 Mercon V PS fluid
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to GiftedPlacebo Send a message via MSN to GiftedPlacebo
QUOTE (ktan91 @ Jul 12 2008, 03:55 PM)
Quote:
Also.. anyone know how to wire the brake light to a switch that turns it from regular. to off.. to flashing 4 times a second?[/b]
I did this with an off the shelf (internet) flasher.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=78916
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 02:06 AM

QUOTE (GiftedPlacebo @ Jul 21 2008, 10:45 AM)
Quote:
I did this with an off the shelf (internet) flasher.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=78916[/b]
Cameras that are used at night, use IR light to see. I used to work at an alarm company. If the cameras couldn't see well, we would actually install an IR floodlight. Surrounding your plate with IR would only help the camera see it better.

I believe you are thinking about the IR blinding of cameras. This can work when the IR is directed right at the camera, and is more intense than surrounding light. Seems difficult to do when the cameras will be mounted in different places, and the car will likely be moving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page