How-To: Adjusting the headlights - Page 10 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Electrical
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 03:51 AM   #91 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

BUMP!??
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to kewlguy5

QUOTE (PerformanceRacing @ Oct 16 2008, 06:03 PM)
Quote:
I am having this same exact issue, it is annoying as hell and looks gay

Any new ideas here?

My pass side is too far to the right. I canno adjust anything horizontally. Vertical is fine.[/b]
I'm having problems with my horizontal positioning too... I'm going to open up my headlights soon and find out what the problem is.

Has anyone else have this problem?

2006 Tungsten Grey Vii6 S
kewlguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 05:40 AM   #93 (permalink)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In case anyone still wonders about the difference on newer models, its this:

There is no longer "A" adjuster". No longer vertical adjusting both low and high at the same time.

There is a new adjuster next to the E, which adjusts vertical of high beams.

Thats it.
mrQQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Has anyone experienced headlight adjustment reverting to what it was before? I had my passangers low pointing too low.. adjusted it to match drivers, then after some time, it's too low again. Is it adjustment screws jumping, or something else?
mrQQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #95 (permalink)
JML

If you try aftermarket bulbs and the beam pattern is wrong, or you have serious aiming issues, then it might be a because the bulb base does not fit the apparently non-standard Mazda housing and the bulbs won't stay in place (I couldn't use Narva bulbs, and had to revert to the OEM Mazda bulbs).

The 2008 and several earlier models lack the fog light adjustment, as noted. There is the noted vertical adjuster for BOTH hi & lo - it is the only easily accessible adjuster, and it's the one that has the white plastic right-angle clip attached. After you set the height of the entire assembly based on the high beams' adjustment, then you need to adjust the low beams' height afterwards. There is no independent high beam vertical adjuster, which drives mechanics nuts unless they know that. Most don't. Adjust left/right if necessary, and recheck up/down for each.

In other words, except for the missing fog light and the corresponding fog light adjuster, the assemblies and adjusters are EXACTLY THE SAME for all of the Mazda 6 first generation cars, up to and including the final 2008 model year. The only differences during the run, other than the fog lamp, were cosmetic: the color of the lens (not where the light goes through!) and the color of the visible "interior bottom," the ridged or corrugated plastic section under the reflectors (champagne to black). mrQQ, I think you didn't look at the right adjusters.

Here are my estimates of the measurements needed for determining proper aim, per Daniel Stern's webpage directions:

Height of lamps' center axis: 27" from ground.
Distance from centerpoint of car to center axis of high beams: 20" L/R of center (40" wide).
Distance from centerpoint of car to center axis of low beams: 30" L/R of center (60" wide).
Distance from high beam to low beam: 10".

If someone has better measurements, please note them!

I had to have one entire headlamp assembly replaced after it was damaged in a small collision. Make sure the body shop knows how to aim the beams, or you'll have serious problems. They need to aim them before they reassemble everything and they need to do them in the proper order! The headlamp assemblies do NOT come pre-set for even close to proper aiming. And many mechanics seem to avoid using the proper hex-keys, and can damage the adjustment screws by forcing a phillips driver into the teeth of the adjusters.

If you do need to replace a headlamp assembly, save the white plastic right-angle adjustment clip from the old unit if you can, and put it on the new lamp assembly to ease your aiming adventure. If you want to order more of the clips, they're Mazda part #GJ6A-51-0K4. About $20 each from Rosenthal Mazda or other online dealers, which is far cheaper than getting them over the counter from a local dealership. It is absurd that Mazda didn't put the little clip on every one of the adjuster screws. It probably costs them all of 10 cents, and a $550 lamp assembly should come with all the needed parts to allow the lights to be aimed correctly and easily. I now have these clips on all of the adjusters, except for the "B" for the horizontal aiming of the low beam (that's the adjuster that's hardest to reach, and the one you will have a hard time getting the clip onto). To adjust each setting, all you then need is a 6mm hex key (get a long one with a rounded end). To get to the under-fender "B" adjuster, onto which I couldn't get the clip to attach even after scraping my hand bloody on the inside mounts for the fender, I use the ratcheting bit wrench described below.

OK folks: here's the important news. There are many "bit ratchets" that will let you access the every single one of the adjusters. There are several versions available. This style of bit wrench will work for ALL of the adjusters, even the under-fender "B" adjuster, without any need to pull the bumper, fender liner, or remove ANYTHING in the engine bay.

The first one shown below is a Husky that's commonly available (and cheap) from Home Depot. Most of these bit ratchets are made in Taiwan; they're available from Geodore (shown next to the Husky), Gearwrench (shown is a set you can get from Amazon and Sears; the handle is about 1/2" longer than the Husky), and other companies like VIM. You can also find a far more expensive bit wrench from Wera, shown last. All of these are very small - usually under 5" long. You put a standard 1/4" insert bit, with a 6mm hex end, into the business end of the bitholder. Get a set of metric hex key insert bits (mine are from Wiha, #71397) and you're all ready to aim. I suggest adding a temporary wrist lanyard to the non-business end of such a tiny ratchet, so if you drop it in the engine bay you will be able to retrieve it easily.

Although Bondus ball-end hex keys are common, here's a great set of Wiha ball-end long hex keys, and another excellent set from Wera (the long key with a ball-end is what you want to use on the adjusters you can reach without needing the insert bit wrench):

And the easy way to make sure the car is centered on your measuring wall is to use a laser level. I sat this Bosch laser on the center of the dashboard - worked perfectly.

MODIFIED MARCH 2012.

Last edited by JML; 03-14-2012 at 07:30 AM.
JML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #96 (permalink)
ore
Learners License

Default How to: Adjusting the Headlights

Hey Pal! I like to know if it's possible to remove the glass (or give me your opinion about), because I broke the Hi/Low Vertical Adjuster, and I like to fix it...or glue it. Let me know your opinion! Great helpful was your post!
ore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #97 (permalink)
ore
Learners License

I broke the hi/low vertical adjuster, and I like to repair it. Any suggestions?
ore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #98 (permalink)
JML

Bump for new info added to post #95.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #99 (permalink)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 6
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to BigBens6

OK, so i had some body work done, and both head lights had ot be replaced.... both lights were pointed about 3 feet infront of the car... not high enough at all, drivers side adjustment went fine, pass side was coming up as planned thien i heard a pop, and now the adjustment is knob is unresponsive.... and i screwed, i guess im not screwed because that side never had a working high beam when i got the car back thursday so that entire assembly is sketchy, but it has me worried.... thoughts?
My Nikon Gallery
Quote:
I'd rather replace my brakes than my engine, so other than the occasional heel/toe downshift I don't put the stress on the engine of compression braking. It's not a diesel.
"I know right? Engine braking...thats crazy. Holy crap though...can you imagine engine acceleration? Jeezus. I'm glad I don't do that!"
- Crossbow -
BigBens6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #100 (permalink)
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBens6 View Post
OK, so i had some body work done, and both head lights had ot be replaced.... both lights were pointed about 3 feet infront of the car... not high enough at all, drivers side adjustment went fine, pass side was coming up as planned thien i heard a pop, and now the adjustment is knob is unresponsive.... and i screwed, i guess im not screwed because that side never had a working high beam when i got the car back thursday so that entire assembly is sketchy, but it has me worried.... thoughts?
If the repair work is guaranteed, take it back to the shop that did the work and simply tell them the headlamp unit is faulty. If the high beam isn't working, why not?

Injen SP Intake | Tinted Sidemarkers | H9 3000K Fogs | 6000K HighBeams | Triton V3 Switchbacks | Full LED Taillamps
"Then he takes out a cigar and enjoys the ride" - Byakuya
Mz6GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.