Mazda 6 Forums banner

How to install new headlight bulbs

590K views 169 replies 124 participants last post by  Faustinewhehos 
#1 ·
Can someone walk me through removing replacing the headlight bulbs. I don't wanna do it by trial and error and break something. can someone show me the way to do this. Much appreciated.

#5 ·
since mazda6tech has been down over the last week, i thought i'd take a few pics while installing my new low beams (H1 bulbs).

let me start by saying disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

the low beams are on the side of the headlight assembly closest to the side of the car. they are located behind a black plastic cover that is labeled with arrows and says top and open and close. twist it and set the cover to the side. make sure that the gasket is in place.

the third pic is what you'll see with the cover removed - the back of the bulb with a wire still attached. before unhooking the clip, i found it easier to disconnect the wire. just pull on it and it will come loose. it does not take much pressure at all.

the hardest part for me was figuring out the clip. couldn't see how it worked since the space was so tight. finally got a mirror and was able to see how to get the clip out (see the first picture). you'll notice at the bottom of the pic is a wire that has been bent like a square. push in on it (it takes a fair amount of pressure) and move it to the left. you'll feel a click and the clip should be released. the clip is on a hinge, so lift up from the bottom of the clip and rotate it up.

the second pic is the coolant container thing that needs to be unbolted if you want more room to access the passenger headlight. really easy; just 3 bolts (10 mm) and lift it out of the way. the hoses are very flexible so it's easy to put it aside. you will find some wires that impede moving things easily (the round cover for example can easily get caught up on these wires) but with some patience and effort to move the wires the little that they allow will get you the space you'll need. on the driver side, i found taking the cover off of the fuse box and taking off the cover of the air filter helped give me a bit more space.

once the clip is undone and you've lifted the clip up, the bulb will pull straight out (horizontally) toward the back of the car. you'll notice in the first picture that the bulb has a plate on it that is circular in shape except for one side that has flat edge to it. remember where that flat edge is; your replacement bulb will need to go in the same way.

really, changing these bulbs is pretty easy. it's just that you don't have a lot of space to get your hands into, but once you see what you have to do, it's not hard.

Attachments

#6 ·
I'd like to suggest that zzzzoom6's topic be stickied as a tutorial on how to replace the low beam headlights. All of the other stickys cover replacing the parking lights or fogs. None deal specifically with replacing the low beam headlights.

I plan of using these instructions later this afternoon to replace my headlight. PLEASE STICKY this THREAD or create a thread titled "DYI Replacing the Headlights".

The manual states the car must be taken to the dealer to replace headlights. this threads proves the manual false.

#7 ·
I'd like to suggest that zzzzoom6's topic be stickied as a tutorial on how to replace the low beam headlights. All of the other stickys cover replacing the parking lights or fogs. None deal specifically with replacing the low beam headlights.

I plan of using these instructions later this afternoon to replace my headlight. PLEASE STICKY this THREAD or create a thread titled "DYI Replacing the Headlights".

The manual states the car must be taken to the dealer to replace headlights. this threads proves the manual false.
[/b]

I agree

#8 ·
I agree
[/b]
I just wanted to let everyone know I followed those wonderful instructions this weekend and replaced my stock low beams with the Xtec 4000K kit from RPM. It couldn't have gone smoother, and the Xtec's are an amazing improvement over the stock halogens!

Thanks to zzzzoom6 for the great directions and thanks to RPM store for the $29.95 replacement halogens!!

#9 ·
installed new low beams last week and wanted to update how i'm liking the piaa bulbs. these seem to be quite a bit brighter; without doing any scientific measurements or anything, it seems like the throw is maybe 20% further. it's not a huge difference, but it's definately noticeable. and i'm liking the color temp a lot also; not nearly as yellow as stock. but now i have to change out the fogs so it matches....it's just money :sarc: but driving in the rain is much better and i'm glad i did it.

#10 ·
installed new low beams last week and wanted to update how i'm liking the piaa bulbs. these seem to be quite a bit brighter; without doing any scientific measurements or anything, it seems like the throw is maybe 20% further. it's not a huge difference, but it's definately noticeable. and i'm liking the color temp a lot also; not nearly as yellow as stock. but now i have to change out the fogs so it matches....it's just money :sarc: but driving in the rain is much better and i'm glad i did it.
[/b]
Be careful with the "How-to's"! You might be the labor at the next mini-meet! I know eveyone was talking lights just as I was leaving the meet. Glad you liked the PIAA's. I still have to swap out my high beams.

#11 ·
Be careful with the "How-to's"! You might be the labor at the next mini-meet! I know eveyone was talking lights just as I was leaving the meet. Glad you liked the PIAA's. I still have to swap out my high beams.
[/b]
HA!! Actually I wouldn't mind being able to help out...last time, I felt like I was just decoration anyway. But probably b4 our next meet (whenever that is), I hope to have the fog bulbs and parking light bulbs replaces so that they all match color wise.

#12 ·
HA!! Actually I wouldn't mind being able to help out...last time, I felt like I was just decoration anyway. But probably b4 our next meet (whenever that is), I hope to have the fog bulbs and parking light bulbs replaces so that they all match color wise.
[/b]
OOOH MIKE! Can you install my short shifter and light bulbs for me? :p

Just kidding. (I don't have a short shifter)

Sarah is gone now :( so we will need to figure out a new meetup place and talk someone else into buying food for us, lol.

Back on topic... I myself have been thinking about replacing the stock bulbs for ultra white, but I will likely wait for an HID Conversion instead. Great work on the write up Sir!

#13 ·
OOOH MIKE! Can you install my short shifter and light bulbs for me? :p

Just kidding. (I don't have a short shifter)

Sarah is gone now :( so we will need to figure out a new meetup place and talk someone else into buying food for us, lol.

Back on topic... I myself have been thinking about replacing the stock bulbs for ultra white, but I will likely wait for an HID Conversion instead. Great work on the write up Sir!
[/b]
yeah, i think it's time for a pdx install/bbq meet! I can install new light bulbs in your car, and you can install the HID's into mine...fair? I'll volunteer my place (crappy lit garage that will barely fit 2 cars) if someone else doesn't have a better place.

#14 ·
yeah, i think it's time for a pdx install/bbq meet! I can install new light bulbs in your car, and you can install the HID's into mine...fair? I'll volunteer my place (crappy lit garage that will barely fit 2 cars) if someone else doesn't have a better place.
[/b]
Yeah! Sarah spoiled us with her 650 car heated garage and subway! lol. Interesting trade on the install swap though... haha.

#15 ·

The manual states the car must be taken to the dealer to replace headlights. this threads proves the manual false.[/b]
I brought this question up to my dealer. He said their techs have managed to figure out how to change all the bulbs from the back of the housing but it is a pain. Obviously anything that requires removing the housing means the bumper has to come off, but even then its not that big of a job.
Remember, the manual is written for joe aveage who is completely car stupid. Him or the counter guy at the local AutoZone would be out of their league trying to change bulbs in those lights, hence the manual's recommendation that they take it back to their dealer.
Interestingly enough, the shop manual does NOT say the bumper has to come off just to replace bulbs.

#16 ·
yeah i have big hands and couldn't figure out that clip on the low beams so i just replaced the high beams with the 1 pair of PIAA spark 8000k's i had lol. i've got another set of piaa spark 8000k's on order for my low beams that'll be here tomorrow then the luminacs pure 6000k's for my fogs all this weekend:D. i'll post pics but thanks for those 3 pics.

#19 ·
:thumbup: :thumbup: :dmetal: :highfive: :highfive:

GOOD FOUND !!! sticky?

#22 ·
Also trying to find a Kelvin vs Lumen chart to show the amount of Lumens lost the higher you go in Kelvins.
[/b]
oh i believe, there's a lot of that kinda pics u can find on ebay... or even faqlight...

#23 ·
:excl: Just a warning to others--do not buy the Sylvania Silverstar H1 bulbs. I "upgraded" my low beams and they both blew out in less than 1 month. After the fact, I found out from other Mazda forums that the same thing has happened to others. I put my OEM H1's back in and will just have to live with the fact that they are not the pretty blue that I like on the Audi's.

For excellent information on automotive lights, and especially good articles on ultrawhite halogens and HID kits, see www.danielsternlighting.com. I might try the Plus 50 Ultra High Efficacy to get more lumens at a reasonable price. See the H1 comparisons on the above-mentioned website.

#24 ·
I'd just like to add my name to the list of people who found zzzzoom6's guide extremely helpful. It is quite a tight squeeze in there, but the pictures provided really gave me a good idea of what I needed to look for. I'm not a big enthusiast or anything, so I was just doing it to replace a burned out bulb on the driver's side, not to install fancy new bulbs or anything. $5.99 at my local car parts shop for a CarQuest 55W H1 bulb, but it seems to work just as well as the OEM one.

#25 ·
Woot!! Just completed the swap on the headlamps and I also found zzzzoom6's guide extremely helpful. Removed the coolant reservoir to free up room on the passenger side and the air filter / fuse box covers on the driver's side. The slickest little trick was to use the wife's little mirror. It's amazing how a little vision helps in those tight spaces :D

I replaced the originals with Sylvania XtraVision's, we'll see how long they last. The guy at AutoZone said to be careful not to touch the glass on the lamps. Something about the oil from your hands causing the lamps to burn out faster. :unsure:

Thanks again zzzzoom6.
:highfive:

#26 ·
Woot!! Just completed the swap on the headlamps and I also found zzzzoom6's guide extremely helpful. Removed the coolant reservoir to free up room on the passenger side and the air filter / fuse box covers on the driver's side. The slickest little trick was to use the wife's little mirror. It's amazing how a little vision helps in those tight spaces :D
I replaced the originals with Sylvania XtraVision's, we'll see how long they last. The guy at AutoZone said to be careful not to touch the glass on the lamps. Something about the oil from your hands causing the lamps to burn out faster. :unsure:

Thanks again zzzzoom6.
:highfive:[/b]

Yea he's right the oils in your skin will cause those bulbs to burn.

Why not save the hassle and go with HID'S?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.