How to install new headlight bulbs - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Electrical
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Can someone walk me through removing replacing the headlight bulbs. I don't wanna do it by trial and error and break something. can someone show me the way to do this. Much appreciated.
blendzol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 7 Times in 1 Post

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=18317
if you took like 2 sec to read, this sticky was right above where you started this thread...

Iluv2zmzm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say NO Thank You to Iluv2zmzm For This Un-useful Post:
apacheblue (11-30-2010), cardiackid24 (01-31-2011), darren2184 (11-05-2010), Jakeman4928 (05-06-2010), land836 (10-15-2013), MazdaJames6 (06-13-2011), Wardog (09-20-2010)
Old 10-17-2005, 01:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by Iluv2zmzm@Oct 17 2005, 03:44 PM
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=18317
if you took like 2 sec to read, this sticky was right above where you started this thread...
[snapback]535761[/snapback]
Thanks.
blendzol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to 2Funky4U

OOoo.sweet I was looking for that too.

Supporting the Graphic Artist Guild since 1996
DigitalHookerzSpace
The MazdaSEXci

......Coming Soon.

"Sir, are you classified as Human." " Negative, I am a meat popsicle."
2Funky4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says NO Thank You to 2Funky4U For This Un-useful Post:
dukerollz555 (11-05-2010)
Old 03-06-2006, 01:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

since mazda6tech has been down over the last week, i thought i'd take a few pics while installing my new low beams (H1 bulbs).

let me start by saying disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

the low beams are on the side of the headlight assembly closest to the side of the car. they are located behind a black plastic cover that is labeled with arrows and says top and open and close. twist it and set the cover to the side. make sure that the gasket is in place.

the third pic is what you'll see with the cover removed - the back of the bulb with a wire still attached. before unhooking the clip, i found it easier to disconnect the wire. just pull on it and it will come loose. it does not take much pressure at all.

the hardest part for me was figuring out the clip. couldn't see how it worked since the space was so tight. finally got a mirror and was able to see how to get the clip out (see the first picture). you'll notice at the bottom of the pic is a wire that has been bent like a square. push in on it (it takes a fair amount of pressure) and move it to the left. you'll feel a click and the clip should be released. the clip is on a hinge, so lift up from the bottom of the clip and rotate it up.

the second pic is the coolant container thing that needs to be unbolted if you want more room to access the passenger headlight. really easy; just 3 bolts (10 mm) and lift it out of the way. the hoses are very flexible so it's easy to put it aside. you will find some wires that impede moving things easily (the round cover for example can easily get caught up on these wires) but with some patience and effort to move the wires the little that they allow will get you the space you'll need. on the driver side, i found taking the cover off of the fuse box and taking off the cover of the air filter helped give me a bit more space.

once the clip is undone and you've lifted the clip up, the bulb will pull straight out (horizontally) toward the back of the car. you'll notice in the first picture that the bulb has a plate on it that is circular in shape except for one side that has flat edge to it. remember where that flat edge is; your replacement bulb will need to go in the same way.

really, changing these bulbs is pretty easy. it's just that you don't have a lot of space to get your hands into, but once you see what you have to do, it's not hard.
Attached Thumbnails
How to install new headlight bulbs-headlight_low_clip_med.jpg   How to install new headlight bulbs-coolant_headlight.jpg   How to install new headlight bulbs-assembly_with_wire.jpg  
mazdaspeed short shifter & springs, 30% tint, Wet Okole seat covers, air box mod, niteshaded tail-lights, side marker as turn signal mod, PIAA 1700x fog lamps mounted in lower grill, jdm style grill, stscs styled mesh inserts, clear sidemarkers painted black on inside, eyelids, auxmod, Apexcone 5k 35w HID w/ anitglare mod, 18" 5Zigen fn01r-c in bronze w/ Kumho Ecsta SPT's, Car-LED ring style blacked out tails, tein6i window visors, heronew fogs painted steel grey
vagrant10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to vagrant10 For This Useful Post:
12ballaholic (12-31-2010), bullring (11-14-2010), dbruce (06-18-2011), HailJess (01-05-2011), hhernand (05-18-2010), jeff1611 (12-16-2010), jencinc (07-27-2010), Joeyd3902 (06-14-2013), langy (02-15-2013), MazdaJames6 (06-13-2011), mias63071 (11-06-2010), nevinsrt (11-14-2011), nishul (09-21-2013), nivlack (06-13-2010), Opaque6 (09-27-2010), slopo (06-04-2010), smithrg101 (12-26-2012), sseaman (03-27-2011), stron (07-20-2011), tillahogan (10-11-2010), tn_redneck3 (01-05-2011), v.rock.22 (08-16-2010)
Old 03-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

I'd like to suggest that zzzzoom6's topic be stickied as a tutorial on how to replace the low beam headlights. All of the other stickys cover replacing the parking lights or fogs. None deal specifically with replacing the low beam headlights.

I plan of using these instructions later this afternoon to replace my headlight. PLEASE STICKY this THREAD or create a thread titled "DYI Replacing the Headlights".

The manual states the car must be taken to the dealer to replace headlights. this threads proves the manual false.

Previous Mazdas
2008 Mazdaspeed3 GT
Sunlight Silver

2006 Mazdaspeed6 GT
Velocity Red

2003 Mazda6 Sport V6
Silver

1996 Mazda MX-6 V6
Emerald Green
mazda6guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
I'd like to suggest that zzzzoom6's topic be stickied as a tutorial on how to replace the low beam headlights. All of the other stickys cover replacing the parking lights or fogs. None deal specifically with replacing the low beam headlights.

I plan of using these instructions later this afternoon to replace my headlight. PLEASE STICKY this THREAD or create a thread titled "DYI Replacing the Headlights".

The manual states the car must be taken to the dealer to replace headlights. this threads proves the manual false.
[/b]

I agree
maguirej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to maguirej For This Useful Post:
jencinc (07-27-2010)
Old 03-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Learners License

Quote:
I agree
[/b]
I just wanted to let everyone know I followed those wonderful instructions this weekend and replaced my stock low beams with the Xtec 4000K kit from RPM. It couldn't have gone smoother, and the Xtec's are an amazing improvement over the stock halogens!

Thanks to zzzzoom6 for the great directions and thanks to RPM store for the $29.95 replacement halogens!!
armelwani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

installed new low beams last week and wanted to update how i'm liking the piaa bulbs. these seem to be quite a bit brighter; without doing any scientific measurements or anything, it seems like the throw is maybe 20% further. it's not a huge difference, but it's definately noticeable. and i'm liking the color temp a lot also; not nearly as yellow as stock. but now i have to change out the fogs so it matches....it's just money but driving in the rain is much better and i'm glad i did it.
mazdaspeed short shifter & springs, 30% tint, Wet Okole seat covers, air box mod, niteshaded tail-lights, side marker as turn signal mod, PIAA 1700x fog lamps mounted in lower grill, jdm style grill, stscs styled mesh inserts, clear sidemarkers painted black on inside, eyelids, auxmod, Apexcone 5k 35w HID w/ anitglare mod, 18" 5Zigen fn01r-c in bronze w/ Kumho Ecsta SPT's, Car-LED ring style blacked out tails, tein6i window visors, heronew fogs painted steel grey
vagrant10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
installed new low beams last week and wanted to update how i'm liking the piaa bulbs. these seem to be quite a bit brighter; without doing any scientific measurements or anything, it seems like the throw is maybe 20% further. it's not a huge difference, but it's definately noticeable. and i'm liking the color temp a lot also; not nearly as yellow as stock. but now i have to change out the fogs so it matches....it's just money but driving in the rain is much better and i'm glad i did it.
[/b]
Be careful with the "How-to's"! You might be the labor at the next mini-meet! I know eveyone was talking lights just as I was leaving the meet. Glad you liked the PIAA's. I still have to swap out my high beams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.