How to install new headlight bulbs - Page 12 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
QUOTE (zzzzoom6 @ Mar 6 2006, 01:47 AM)
Quote:
since mazda6tech has been down over the last week, i thought i'd take a few pics while installing my new low beams (H1 bulbs).

let me start by saying disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

the low beams are on the side of the headlight assembly closest to the side of the car. they are located behind a black plastic cover that is labeled with arrows and says top and open and close. twist it and set the cover to the side. make sure that the gasket is in place.

the third pic is what you'll see with the cover removed - the back of the bulb with a wire still attached. before unhooking the clip, i found it easier to disconnect the wire. just pull on it and it will come loose. it does not take much pressure at all.

the hardest part for me was figuring out the clip. couldn't see how it worked since the space was so tight. finally got a mirror and was able to see how to get the clip out (see the first picture). you'll notice at the bottom of the pic is a wire that has been bent like a square. push in on it (it takes a fair amount of pressure) and move it to the left. you'll feel a click and the clip should be released. the clip is on a hinge, so lift up from the bottom of the clip and rotate it up.

the second pic is the coolant container thing that needs to be unbolted if you want more room to access the passenger headlight. really easy; just 3 bolts (10 mm) and lift it out of the way. the hoses are very flexible so it's easy to put it aside. you will find some wires that impede moving things easily (the round cover for example can easily get caught up on these wires) but with some patience and effort to move the wires the little that they allow will get you the space you'll need. on the driver side, i found taking the cover off of the fuse box and taking off the cover of the air filter helped give me a bit more space.

once the clip is undone and you've lifted the clip up, the bulb will pull straight out (horizontally) toward the back of the car. you'll notice in the first picture that the bulb has a plate on it that is circular in shape except for one side that has flat edge to it. remember where that flat edge is; your replacement bulb will need to go in the same way.

really, changing these bulbs is pretty easy. it's just that you don't have a lot of space to get your hands into, but once you see what you have to do, it's not hard.[/b]
A big thank you for these directions. I just changed both bulbs and these directions saved me a lot of time and aggrivation. God Bless you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 159 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Learners License

Send a message via AIM to edubbz
hey guys, new to the forum so bear with me.

So, my passenger side low beam bulb apparently died. Went to Autozone to get a new bulb but all they had were the recommended Sylvania Xtravision H1XV which were $18 and the regular ones H155W for about $7. And, the most popular one amongst this topic, the Sylvania SilverStar H1ST (which many have reported the poor life-line). About an hr ago I didn't know a hair about headlights but now after much research I feel like its become an area of expertise (well not quite yet since ill be asking for your help at the end) lol

Anywho, now just to ask for some help on which bulb to get. Obviously the Sylvania SilverStar is out of the question since i dont feel like buying new bulbs 6 weeks from now. I haven't read or found any reviews on the other recommended bulb, XtraVision H1XV, so im curious about how well these work. I dont really want to go with the regular $7 ones simply because im more of a quality type of person; therefore, i prefer something illuminative, long-lasting, and reasonably priced (when i mean reasonably, that excludes the PIAA's because I dont see myself paying $60 for headlights).

I checked that autolumination.com site which seems like gold but makes me skeptical- $3.99 for each H1 bulb?? makes me feel like im purchasing a $3 shirt that will be useless after wearing it 4x. Another person mentioned danielsternlighting.com which the H1 bulbs go for $15- sounds good to me but how legit is the site since i have to email my query info and stuff? Are there any other more H1 low-beam options other then the ones ive mentioned?

Lastly, keep in consideration im looking for a crisp white illumination whatever K factor that may be (6k or 8k?).

MUCH THANKS APPRECIATED!!!!

edit: k so i went with the xtravision and this how-to couldnt have gone any smoother; thanks a mil to the poster for the help and saving me $$$ for sucha measly job!!
The Following User Says Thank You to edubbz For This Useful Post:
matchbox42 (06-03-2010)
post #113 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM
Learners License

So I followed these instructions and it wasn't too hard to change the bulbs myself. As everyone says, the passenger side is easier than the driver's side. I made a big mistake and dropped the driver's side black Open/Close/Top cover when I was trying to re-fasten it, and it fell somewhere into the depths of the vehicle and I no longer can find it. I don't know what panels or fender stuff I'd need to remove to find it. Anyone have any suggestions, or where I can order a replacement?
post #114 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 03:10 AM
Learners License

I'm no mechanic however like some of you I like to get things done myself, zoom6's walk through is nice however the best way to access the low's for me was from the wheel wells. Those who have no modifications such as an intake for example will have much more trouble as there is very little space to work. I removed my wheels and was able to remove the panels which only have 4 screws under front side bumper and about 5 plastic bolts/screws in well (gives you almost perfect positioning for removal of your h1 (low) bulbs) **WARNING take care in how you remove them (plastic bolts/screws) because they can break easily**

Once the panel was nearly completly removed I was able to see the open/top/close access cover which comes off with a slight turn and voilą!! You can now see your h1 bulb fixture, I removed the connecting wire with a small pull and released the clamp and switched out my bulbs. Easy as 1 2 3... I have long fingers and a steady hand so replacing wasn't very difficult however you should exercise caution as scratches or quick bumps to the bulb can reduce longevity or burst the bulbs.

Hope that helps anyone cause I had to figure it out myself :s

Have fun!!
post #115 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to kpjimmy Send a message via Skype™ to kpjimmy
QUOTE (schuck @ Feb 15 2010, 06:19 PM)
Quote:
So I followed these instructions and it wasn't too hard to change the bulbs myself. As everyone says, the passenger side is easier than the driver's side. I made a big mistake and dropped the driver's side black Open/Close/Top cover when I was trying to re-fasten it, and it fell somewhere into the depths of the vehicle and I no longer can find it. I don't know what panels or fender stuff I'd need to remove to find it. Anyone have any suggestions, or where I can order a replacement?[/b]

You will need to remove the plastic piece under the front bumper of the car to see if you can find it there. I have removed the middle piece many times replacing my fogs, or wiring up stuff from time to time. Just get under the bumper remove the screws and pull down the piece and peer in on each side.
post #116 of 159 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Learners License

Hi, all.

I'm new to the club, but not new to the Mazda 6. Great forum and glad I found it.

Anyway, I have a 2007 sedan and I need to replace the driver side parking light. I got the light assembly cover off all right, but it's right in front of the air filter assembly and there's less than two inches to work with...I can't even get the light cover to lay back enough to see inside it. I'm assuming I need to take out the air filter assembly but have no idea how to do that. Any help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have photos if anyone needs to see them for reference.
post #117 of 159 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Learners License

I replaced one low beam with the Osram Silverstar made in Germany a couple of years ago. They claim 50% more light on the road. Since it didn't look any brighter than the stock bulb on the other side, I quit while I was ahead. The Osram blew out recently, and I couldn't even remember how to change it. The clip referred to in the tutorial rotates upward, not to the left in my 2004 6s. I could only figure it out using a bicycle helmet rear view mirror and a flashlight.
post #118 of 159 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Learners License

An old post but still very helpful.
At first when I looked under the hood i thought "what am I getting myself into"
But it only took about 30 minutes to replace both low beams and both fog light bulbs to brighter hid version bulbs.
you guys rock.
Thanks

chefkrick
post #119 of 159 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Learners License

Very helpful, and thanks for the tip on retrieving the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant10 View Post
since mazda6tech has been down over the last week, i thought i'd take a few pics while installing my new low beams (H1 bulbs).

let me start by saying disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.

the low beams are on the side of the headlight assembly closest to the side of the car. they are located behind a black plastic cover that is labeled with arrows and says top and open and close. twist it and set the cover to the side. make sure that the gasket is in place.

the third pic is what you'll see with the cover removed - the back of the bulb with a wire still attached. before unhooking the clip, i found it easier to disconnect the wire. just pull on it and it will come loose. it does not take much pressure at all.

the hardest part for me was figuring out the clip. couldn't see how it worked since the space was so tight. finally got a mirror and was able to see how to get the clip out (see the first picture). you'll notice at the bottom of the pic is a wire that has been bent like a square. push in on it (it takes a fair amount of pressure) and move it to the left. you'll feel a click and the clip should be released. the clip is on a hinge, so lift up from the bottom of the clip and rotate it up.

the second pic is the coolant container thing that needs to be unbolted if you want more room to access the passenger headlight. really easy; just 3 bolts (10 mm) and lift it out of the way. the hoses are very flexible so it's easy to put it aside. you will find some wires that impede moving things easily (the round cover for example can easily get caught up on these wires) but with some patience and effort to move the wires the little that they allow will get you the space you'll need. on the driver side, i found taking the cover off of the fuse box and taking off the cover of the air filter helped give me a bit more space.

once the clip is undone and you've lifted the clip up, the bulb will pull straight out (horizontally) toward the back of the car. you'll notice in the first picture that the bulb has a plate on it that is circular in shape except for one side that has flat edge to it. remember where that flat edge is; your replacement bulb will need to go in the same way.

really, changing these bulbs is pretty easy. it's just that you don't have a lot of space to get your hands into, but once you see what you have to do, it's not hard.
post #120 of 159 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Learners License

What's the Best bulb? I tried to install silverstars, ran into tryin to figure out how to install them, found this forum. Now that I do know, keep the silverstars or just get somethin else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page