How do I replace the lowbeam headlight bulbs? - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Electrical
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default How do I replace the lowbeam headlight bulbs?

I got a pair of SilverStar H1's, but I had no idea how to install them after looking under the hood. Can somebody tell me how to do it?
Also, does anyone know if it is safe and legal to use the SilverStar H1's?
seanliang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2003, 05:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Replying to Topic 'How do I replace the lowbeam headlight bulbs?'

Ok, some on here will tell you that you dont have to remove the bumper to replace the bulbs, and I'd like to see how. You do have to remove the bumper to gain enough access to the locking cap on the back of the headlamp assembly that has to be removed to change the low beams. Removing the bumper is simple, and you really dont have to take it all the way off. Just remove the 2 screws at the top of each side of the grill (under the hood), remove the phillips screw under each outer side of the headlights (where lens comes to a point by the fender) (youll have to pull down the fender lining to get to this), unclip the clips that are next to those screws, take out the plastic screw/plugs in the wheel wells (3 on each side), go underneath the bumper and unbolt the 2 10mm bolts that are towards the center and rear area of the bumper. That should be all you need to remove the bumper enough to gain access to the headlamp bolts. To get the lamps out remove little plastic plug on the top outer side of each lamp, then remove the two 10mm bolts on top, the one on the outer side (where the lamp meets the fender), and the two 10mm bolts underneath the lamp (one is brass). Now the light should slide right out (dont forget to undo the harness). You'll see the circular door that locks into place. Open that and there is the low beam. I'm sure you know what to do from there. Good Luck! Yes, silverstars are legal too.

~Kyle
1sexy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2003, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
SC3

Send a message via AIM to SC3

You don't have to take off the bumper. If you have good hands you can remove them without taking anything off. If you still need an easier way, try accessing the low beams from the rear by removing the wheel well lining, which will require jacking up the car the removing the wheel, for easy access.

Anyways the cap is removed by spinning it counter clockwise. You will see the back of the lowbeam H1 bulb. The beige wire is the positive and the housing is grounded by the black wire.

There is a metal retaining clip holding on to the bulb. The clip is latched on at the bottom and the hinges are at the top. Push the clip handle toward the front of the car and counter clockwise. You will feel it release. Next, swing the entire assembly upward as far as you can so that removal will be unobstructed. Slowly easy the bulb out and pull out the positive wire at the back of the bulb.

As far as SilverStars being legal, I believe it is technically illegal since any deviation away from OEM, which in this case is the brightness, is illegal.

-SC3
Old 08-10-2003, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

just an FYI, i changed the low beams, and fogs with ONLY removing the coolant reservoir. didn't even have to remove the airbox. only took about 20 minutes. if you have never done it before get yourself a small mirror so you can take a peek inside the housing after you remove the cap to see how the bulb is latched in place. HUGE help! and when installing the bulbs, i kept them in their packaging, with their wires hanging out, while i fiddled with getting them plugged in to the wiring harness. once they were plugged in i took them out of the box and put them in the socket. was not too difficult at all!
SVTour98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2003, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
SC3

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTour98

* * * * * * just an FYI, i changed the low beams, and fogs with ONLY removing the coolant reservoir. *didn't even have to remove the airbox. *only took about 20 minutes. *if you have never done it before get yourself a small mirror so you can take a peek inside the housing after you remove the cap to see how the bulb is latched in place. *HUGE help! *and when installing the bulbs, i kept them in their packaging, with their wires hanging out, while i fiddled with getting them plugged in to the wiring harness. *once they were plugged in i took them out of the box and put them in the socket. *was not too difficult at all![/b]
My bad. I forgot about coolant reservoir.

-SC3
Old 08-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I actually replaced them without taking off anything! It took a while since there is indeed little room at the back of the headlight assembly. Thanks for the useful info guys!
Old 08-18-2003, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
SC3

Default Reading Topic: How do I replace the lowbeam headlight bulbs?

How did you take out the right lowbeam bulb without removing anything?

-SC3
Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

As far as the silverstars being legal or not they should be marked as DOT compliant, if they are then they should be legal. Always check your local/state laws as backup.
Punter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

On my 6i, replacement of the low beam bulbs or any of the cluster bulbs is failry simple. No bumper removal necessary, all you have to do is pop off the back cover on the light assembly and remove either bulb as needed, make sure to note how the bulb came out as they can only go in a certain way. Maybe the 6s have a hard time changing out due to limited space in the motor bay due to engine size vs. the 6i. This should be covered in LIGHTING for more info.
Punter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2003, 08:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by SC3

* * * * * * How did you take out the right lowbeam bulb without removing anything?

-SC3[/b]
Maybe I have small hands. Taking out the bulbs is actually quite easy, it is putting in new bulbs that causes me trouble. Fixing the bulb and pressing the latch down at the same time with only one hand is more difficult than I thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.