Mazda 6 Forums banner

M6 2016 MTX: Is it possible to change the stereo?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  rjhornsby 
#1 ·
Hello!
I have a 2016 M6 Manual and the media system is pretty basic, i would like to install at least a touch screen stereo but i noticed that the current media system is oddly placed. There's any way to swap it with another media system?
Thanks!

#2 ·
To my knowledge, no, atleast not easily. Anything can be done if you have the money though. This was one of the main reasons I went with the 15 6 instead of the 3...I knew I would want to change it and its not easily done with the floating screen vs the 6 that fits any double DIN unit.

There is a company making replacements for the 3, which may be the same as the one used on the 16 6, but Im not too sure. Its also some offname chinese brand that Ive never heard of before that makes the replacement.

Im sure there will be aftermarkets available in some time, but as far as I recall, the stock stereo has a lot of the main functions of the car in it, and you will lose them without it.

#5 · (Edited)
There are presently no known aftermarket head units for the 2016. I've seen examples of aftermarket units that have a vaguely similar form factor for a 2014[1] which provides a small amount of hope someone will come up with something, but so far nothing for our 2016s. I'd guess it's around 99% certain that we're never going to get anything from a mainstream vendor (Pioneer, JVC, etc). There's simply not enough volume to avoid losing craptons of money developing what is really a proprietary product that only fits in a couple of cars.

There's been occasional rumblings that Mazda would release a software update with CarPlay support (and possible whatever the Android equivalent is?), but I'm not sure how likely that is. If it happened, it would probably come in the form of software intended for a later model year that we would be able to use.

[Edit] Correction: the 2014 aftermarket unit I referenced is basically nothing like ours. It appears to be a double DIN. The outer shape is vaguely similar to our screens that sit above the dash, but that seems to be it.

[1] http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical/373737-here-example-top-notch-m6-android-hu.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.