HOW TO: Install a backup camera with a Bose navigation system - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
HOW TO: Install a backup camera with a Bose navigation system

If anyone who owns a 2009-2010 Mazda 6 has ever wondered if that big Nav screen they have can do a reverse camera image even though the car never came with one; wonder no more! Here I have outlinned the way I installed one in my 2010 Mazda 6 GT. And in a pretty close to OEM way. Hopefully it helps someone.

First there are two types of OEM radios that will accept this. From 2009-2010, Mazda did not include any wiring into the car for this option; even though the radio's could accept one. The two types are "Radio Type B" and "Radio Type C/Navigation" which come with its own whole users manual. I have displayed the two types I happen to have on hand in my garage as parts radios in the photo's included here.

First thing obviously is to pull the radio. Not too difficult. There are step-by step instructions in a lot of you-tube clips you can find. It really takes but ten minutes. I have illustrated my Bose Nav radio here but the smaller screen Bose radio uses a different plug for the cam. I believe a more detailed form of how you can get this plug is in the forum archive in the 2nd gen section. The harness plug you can find on ebay or online and it will tie into the camera wires that come with the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2432.JPG
Views:	2193
Size:	937.7 KB
ID:	175906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2437.JPG
Views:	2270
Size:	932.2 KB
ID:	175914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2438.JPG
Views:	2481
Size:	751.7 KB
ID:	175922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.JPG
Views:	2579
Size:	812.0 KB
ID:	176098   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798.JPG
Views:	5643
Size:	911.8 KB
ID:	176106  

Name:	IMG_1801.JPG
Views:	1185
Size:	656.4 KB
ID:	176114   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1802.JPG
Views:	1269
Size:	762.9 KB
ID:	176138  

2010 Mazda 6s GT Kona Blue Mica
2013 Mazda 6s GT Fireglow Red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Garage
My apologies. I did not take photos of every step I made because at the time I was not on this forum. The pics were more for my records and I understood what I did.

But the next step is to locate rear garnish plate from ebay. (or a junkyard). I found one in my color which was for a 2011. Since my car is flawless; I really didn't want a junked plate. So I paid a bit to get it. That's the last year I think they stopped using my color. This is important because the new plate is thicker than the ones for Mazda 6's 2009-2010. This allows room for the camera to clear the liscense plate frame. It also relocated the trunk request switch to the left so the cam can be more centered with the plate. While you do not have to go this route, I did, as it was more stock. I suppose you could try to drill a hole for an aftermarket camera somewhere to the right or the left of the request switch for 2009-2010. You just may have plate interference problems.

Anyway, this garnish plate did NOT come pre-cut for the trunk request switch! I repeat that, NOT cut. It had a slightly raised plastic notch where the factory would have put it, but it was not perforated. I used that outline though to drill me four holes in the corners, then used a dremel tool to cut into the plastic, following the lines. As you see in the photo's i was planning on installing the factory cam, but they wanted $350 bucks for it, and it was not as good as a good aftermarket cam in my opinion. So after thinking about it after the fact, I fabbed a pice of plastic to cover it up and drilled a hole through THAT. I also had my cam painted to match the factory paint just like Mazda had done in 2011. After that year, they stopped the paint-to-match cams and roof antenna's. A cheap cost cutting measure if you ask me. I like that my cam melds in with the car and you don't even notice it's there.

I located and used the wire that turns on the backup lights in the trunk harness. A multi meter is a good way to figure this out before splicing into anything. That way the only wire I HAD to run to the radio was the RCA video plug. Now keep in mind I believe the factory radio requires a 6v source for the factory cam. My aftermarket cam used a typical 12v. So I ran 12v and the turn on lead from the reverse backup wire in the rear trunk harness to activate the cam.

Next I ran the video feed to the radio. You can pass the wiring through the existing boot in the trunk and along the door paneling. The plug part that is compatible with OUR radios can be bought off ebay or online relatively inexpensively. It should have the radio harness at one end, and an RCA end on the other. Buy which ever is the opposite end that is on your cam wiring. You will not need the rest of the wires on that adapter harness as you already hooked those leads up in the trunk.

As far as the trunk request switch now goes, I had to buy a new one from a dealer. I'm sure you can get one off a junker tho. I located the two wires in that harness you see in these photos that control the trunk solenoid. Just used a multi-meter and my key fob to remotely send a signal here. I ignored the other wires in this harness as they are for the factory cam.

Note where I wrote which harness for the cam and which was for the trunk switch. It's only two blue wires, but Mazda bundles this harness all together and I didn't want myself confused!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1718.JPG
Views:	977
Size:	793.3 KB
ID:	175986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1716.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	785.8 KB
ID:	175994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1717.JPG
Views:	868
Size:	770.2 KB
ID:	176002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	865.5 KB
ID:	176010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1713.JPG
Views:	824
Size:	843.0 KB
ID:	176018  

Name:	IMG_1714.JPG
Views:	921
Size:	819.5 KB
ID:	176026   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1710.JPG
Views:	812
Size:	737.8 KB
ID:	176034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2498.JPG
Views:	826
Size:	458.6 KB
ID:	176154   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.JPG
Views:	762
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	176162  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Garage
In MY case, I have the Nav radio. So the photo's here represent that. Final step was to test the cam worked. I went into the service menu to make sure it was activated. On this radio, you can get into it by pressing and holding the two top knobs for a few seconds. This will bring up a diagnosis menu. Typing in the code 83 will get you the blue screen here that you can press to make sure its activated. There are other codes that you can use to test gamma, color etc, as shown here, but I won't get into that in this topic. This can really mess with the display if you don't know what your doing and then you wont be able to change it back because you may not remember what the original settings were. So I don't recommend it. The various codes are covered in many other sections on this forum.

Last, back up the car and keep your foot on the brake. While the car is engaged in reverse, you can adjust the image quality as shown below by pressing the "DISP" button on the radio.

And that's it for this upgrade!

If you want specific instructions for the smaller screen radio, look in the Mazda 6 2nd gen part of the forums. There I believe someone did a write-up of how to do it for that radio. Between these two write-ups, it should be a relatively simple project. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1694.JPG
Views:	901
Size:	807.1 KB
ID:	176042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1693.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	176050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1821.JPG
Views:	807
Size:	512.9 KB
ID:	176058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0185.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	176066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0184.JPG
Views:	805
Size:	765.3 KB
ID:	176074  

Name:	IMG_0180.JPG
Views:	725
Size:	838.2 KB
ID:	176090  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Great write up I have actually put aftermarket camera with smaller bose radio and it works but is off center so I wanted details regarding trunk and how it looks. However have to find new center vent as I damaged edge of plastic while removing it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pin out

Hello,
Do you have the pin out of the connector?
Where did you get the harness?
Thank you
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Can you post a link to the harness you purchased for your backup camera? I see two items on eBay that might work, only difference being one harness has two wires, the other has three.

Thanks...
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Drivers License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhill1977 View Post
Can you post a link to the harness you purchased for your backup camera? I see two items on eBay that might work, only difference being one harness has two wires, the other has three.

Thanks...
It was one of the first projects I did, and I can't seem to find the link in my archive. I believe it was from ebay I purchased it. I tried to find a photo of what I used though and it was something like this from autotoys.com. Beatsonic makes it. The camera itself comes with the male RCA end. One wire is 6v trigger, one ground, and third is the video feed wire. I didn't use the 6v wire of course because my aftermarket cam was 12v.

Apologies for the single and bad photo. ipad restrictions and all. My PC where I usually post good photo's is being occupied at the moment. I'll try to get better photo's later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	180386  

post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggscreed View Post
It was one of the first projects I did, and I can't seem to find the link in my archive. I believe it was from ebay I purchased it. I tried to find a photo of what I used though and it was something like this from autotoys.com. Beatsonic makes it. The camera itself comes with the male RCA end. One wire is 6v trigger, one ground, and third is the video feed wire. I didn't use the 6v wire of course because my aftermarket cam was 12v.

Apologies for the single and bad photo. ipad restrictions and all. My PC where I usually post good photo's is being occupied at the moment. I'll try to get better photo's later.

Thanks for the image. Would you be able to post a link to the part you bought?

I managed to snag a 2009 Mazda6 factory navigation head unit for $75 shipped on eBay. It's in GREAT shape, and it even included the factory map DVD, which was a major bonus.

After looking through the wiring manual, it appears I need to ground a pin, just as I did for the Bose display audio camera mod i did. Sadly, I bought a harness with only the 2 RCA pins, and I'm having trouble finding the proper pin for the plug. Thanks in advance.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbe View Post
Hello,
Do you have the pin out of the connector?
Where did you get the harness?
Thank you
Here's the pinout:

PIN 5A outputs 6V DC
PIN 5B needs to be grounded/camera detect
PIN 5C (outer ring on RCA cable)
PIN 5D (center post on RCA cable)
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggscreed View Post

Well I found a link for the necessary harness here:

This eBay item should also work:

Rear View Backup Camera Input Plug for Toyota Lexus E7001 E7035 Factory | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page