Just over a week before the start of the next round of the American Le Mans Series B-K Motorsports has released the first picture of its brand new Lola B08/86 Mazda MZR-R COUPE. The car had its shaked down at Road America and will be making its debut at Petit Le Mans, where it will be the first coupe to race in the ALMS LMP2 class.
Here is what the team has to say about the car and the future:
- Car to debut at Petit Le Mans and will also race at the season finale at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.
- Outnumbered by the Porsche & Acura forces by eight to one, Mazda has stepped up their program on the chassis side. While the Mazda AER developed MZR-R has shown great speed, the results to date have not reflected that potential.
- Aerodynamically the coupe is expected to have approximately 10% more downforce and 7% less drag. The air restrictor size will be increased to 45.6mm, but all coupes are required to run AC so power increase will be negated.
- The car will also feature a faster refueling mechanism and improved fuel collector to reduce pit stop time.
- The BP sponsored car remains on Dunlop tires with drivers Ben Devlin & Gerardo Bonilla. MAZDASPEED ladder poster boy, and former Skip Barber/Star Mazda/Atlantic and current Indy Lights champion Raphael Matos will rejoin the team for the Petit race.
John Doonan, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Team Development Manager: “This is the top rung of the MAZDASPEED Motorsports program and we needed to raise our efforts. The B-K team has already invested over 1200 hours into the assembly of the new car and we are optimistic about the final two races of 2008 and are already looking forward to the 2009 Sebring race.”