18 months with my 2016 6 iGT - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaRex View Post
Manual GT - but station wagon with nice turbodiesel! (or, as Ocramida wrote, 200-240 hp like so much of the competition.)
Ok, bend my arm on a manual GT diesel sedan or wagon!

2016 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35% 3M Ceramic film|OEM NAVI, cargo tray, F&R splash guards|TPI C726445F Wheel Locks|Interior & BKup LEDs|iJDMTOY Fogs yellow Lamin-x & H9s Mazda stalk|H9 headlights
A119 dashcam w/GPS & Lexar microSDXC 128GB|Polk Audio DB351s/100V 47uF caps in dash|DXI 651s rear doors|Kenwood KSC-SW11 subwoofer|Thermoquiet acoustic insulation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. Took a while to pull all the details together, but I figured it was worth it if I could persuade more people to look at the 6 (and other Mazda Skyactiv models) and/or any Mazda Corp onlookers to benefit from some of my constructive criticisms. There is sooooo much potential in Mazda right now to really give the Germans a run for their money. But based on all the Dave Coleman video's I've watched much of the changes we ask for are really driven by the product planners. I get the sense that Dave, being the car guy he is, would agree with most of our asks- especially the requests for more "power" (I mean the guy admitted that he'd love to drop the 2.5 turbo in a CX3, so he hassss to sympathize with us. FWIW

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav

Last edited by ocramida; 01-06-2017 at 11:36 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before the M6, I owned a modestly priced mid-sized German sedan, recently revised to appeal to the American market. While that car had many virtues, I found it's vehicle dynamics and handling to be less than I had hoped for. (That car also resisted all my attempts to revise this deficit using the usual aftermarket parts.) I finally realized that while I had hoped for a "poor man's Audi," I had ended up with a " German 'Camry.'" (And I actually mean no disrespect to the Toyota product because the Camry has improved tremendously in terms of handling in the last few years.)

I feel like this makes Mazda's design choices with the 6 even more laudatory. As the midsize car market contracts, most manufacturers seem to be choosing to take fewer risks and to design towards the typical car buyer's indifferent attitude to vehicle dynamics and handling. Nice work Mazda! Hope you continue to "fight the good fight."

2016 Mazda 6 Touring (w/6-speed manual transmission)
OE fog lights/navigation card/auto-dimming mirror/
Tanabe front strut bar/
Orange Virus 91-octane tune/Racing Beat rear muffler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 12 Times in 4 Posts
An update to my original review.

I'm over 2 years in and I have to say, I'm a believer in Mazda's approach!
- Engine loves to be wrung out.
- Shift paddles and Xuji wheel wrap are great upgrades. Make me feel more connected and engaged with the car. Now using manual mode 95% of time. Mazda should offer better paddles like the Kenstyle or what's currently available on Alfa Giulia. Paddles really made a difference in how I drive the car and ultimately what unlocked the magic of this car. Driving this car in full auto really doesn't do it justice. I only use auto in traffic or on highway and with the excellent intelligent cruise system. Makes for a great highway cruiser.
- Fuel economy be damned (I'm averaging 25mpg but don't care), this car wants to be beaten and it rewards you. I put 93 in it during summer months and 87 once it gets cold. I believe 93 makes a difference when its warm to hot out. Still an annoying hesitation around 2K rpm, but when you keep it between 2.8 and 5.8K it's a freaking blast.
- Gearing in manual mode is perfectly suited for this engine. And the transmission is quick and knows when to slip just enough to make a shift jarring and exciting.
- Exhaust maybe quiet but induction noise is intoxicating when your in the 2.8-5.8K sweet spot.
- This chassis is wonderful. Really, really freaking wonderful. Between the very willing engine and agile chassis, the 6 sticks to Mazda's philosophy of the fun of Driving, and not just smashing the throttle in a straight line. It's been said countless times before, this is not a car you buy for horsepower but BALANCE!!
- New Yokohama Advan S-Drive are a perfect match to the 6. Tried Michelin Pilot AS3s but they were too stiff-riding. Felt every pothole. The Michelins also wore out within 15K miles. Yokos really complement the 6 chassis with excellent road holding, steering response, along with a quiet and a supple ride over less than perfect roads.
- Interior continues to impress me. Even more since I figured out how to disable ADD (i.e. HUD). Without that cheap sail sticking up, the lines of the dashboard really pop. And the majority of plastics feel good.
- This continues to be the most comfortable and ergonomically satisfying car I've owned. Seats are fantastic after they break in. Thigh support is excellent for my 6'2", 205lb frame.
- And after 25K there are zero rattles and creaks across temperature extremes in New England.

My gripes still hold from my initial review.
- Cheap feeling doors and handles.
- Cost cutting in areas that you interact with like steering wheel and paddles (which I fixed)
- HUD which I fixed.
- Inability to vent hot car by lowering windows with key fob.
- Poor attention to some details. For instance car allows windows to close 30 seconds after ignition is off, however sunroof doesn't follow this rule. Have to turn car on again if you forget to close sunroof.
- "Leaving Home" doesn't work when lights are in "Auto" mode (which I believe was fixed with 2017).
- Give me back the super cool sensor on the door handle instead of that cheap black button for keyless entry! This is your flagship sedan!
- Black headliner option (fixed with 2017)
- Better NVH (improved for 2017)

I'm no longer going to complain about power or lack of AWD. Like I said, I've grown into a big believer in what the 6 is and this car just gets better as the miles increase. Over 25K miles and everything about the steering/engine/performance has improved. Mazda's focus on real world performance like throttle response and chassis dynamics really come together to make this a extremely fun daily driver. Keeping the engine in its sweet spot and hearing the intake noise along with the crisp and fast tranny is incredibly involving. But you got to drive the snot out of it to appreciate the brilliant sum of the 6's parts. In hindsight, the 6's character Isn't surprising in light of what I experienced with every other Mazda I've owned. All of those cars had the same dual personality: competent daily that felt underpowered and a little meh until you whipped it. The difference now is that the Skyactiv architecture has laser focus on Mazda DNA while smoothing out all the rough edges that were a side-effect of Ford parts and their partnership.

Bottom line I'll probably get a 2017.5 Machine Gray/black interior with Premium when my current lease is up early next year. That will give me just enough time until the redesigned 6 comes out and has a couple of years of bug-fixing and refinement.

I also recently test drove an Acura TLX A-spec. It was a nice car. Solidly built with nice tech and a lot of the features I always wanted in the 6 (e.g. 6 cylinder and AWD). Arguably Acura also paid attention to more of the details like higher quality door handles with capacitive touch in the handle for keyless entry and controlling windows from the key fob to vent a hot car.

But Acura also got some things wrong in the context of a sports sedan that is suppose to be engaging to drive. The new push button tranny is something I could get used to if Acura didn't cheap out on the shift paddles. They no longer use the EXCELLENT column mounted aluminum paddles but cheap plastic parts that come across as an afterthought. The car also doesn't feel as tossable or (believe it or not) as quick as the 6. I think the quickness is more related to throttle response and overall engagement. You get into a car like the TLX and you realize why Mazda chooses to build cars the way they do. The TLX may have better NVH and "feel" more solidly built. But this characteristic as executed by Acura makes the car feel bloated and uninvolving. Oh and for all their adjustability, the seats aren't as comfortable and supportive as the 6. Interior also feels cramped. Jumping back in my 6 I felt at home. Comfortable, supported and behind the wheel of a subjectively more engaging-to-drive car.
If Mazda can get a bit more "premium" into the 6 without killing the feel, they will give Acura a run for its money from enthusiasts point of view. Especially when the TLX is over 10K more.

Overall I'm a happy camper and feel like Mazda really has a package that will steal premium brand sales. I can't wait until the new design, but won't mind waiting with a 2017.5. And if I find that I can't rationalize buying the new design. I'll be happy driving the wheels off the 2017.5.

END
SubiGT likes this.

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ocramida For This Useful Post:
Jaggrey (09-13-2017), SubiGT (09-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page