Mazda 6 Forums banner

2014 - An Ongoing Review

73K views 146 replies 48 participants last post by  2ndName 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone.

I went for my test drive in the 2014 yesterday. The dealership only had the showroom model for me to drive (no complaints since it's the fully-loaded GT model).

I also test drove a fully-loaded 2012 GT V6 the same day, and I currently own a V6 GT 2004 - so I saw all ends of the spectrum.

Initial Test Drive:
Interior:
We all know how the car looks (amazing), but how does it feel? Sitting in the driver's seat, the first thing I notice is that they don't quite hug you as much as the 1st gen, but at the same time are more comfortable. I felt that both the 2nd and 3rd gens offered the same comfort but the quality of the leather in the 3rd gen is slightly superior to that of the 2nd gen.

Although the 2nd gen offers slightly more headroom, the 3rd gen feels much roomier around you as you drive.

The push start button in the 2nd gen seemed to be in a bit of an awkward spot, right under the head unit/navi area - while the 3rd gen relocated the push start to to a more appropriate spot just behind the wheel.

The 3rd gens interior meshes very well and flows a bit better than both the 1st and 2nd generation. The 3rd gen still has that random little compartment to the bottom left of the wheel, right above the pull-tab for the hood latch. I still have no idea what it's used for :)

All 3 cars have fully adjustable seats and it's very easy to find your perfect spot.

From your seat in the 2014, you are greeted with a much more state-of-the art dash. The color scheme is no longer the red on black, but a very light grey with some blues mixed in here and there. Most information aside from the Tach and Odometer is displayed in digital form. Warning codes and errors also appear in easy-to-understand messages that pop up now and then as friendly reminders. For example, the car I drove was low on windshield washer fluid, and I only knew because of the message that popped up during the test drive.

The navigation system is equipped with a touch screen, but you are also able to use a simple nob/dial located just below the gear switch. The dial is a simple round button that clicks into place much like most mouse wheels. This helps choose specific options in the menu, without accidentally going too far and having to go back. The whole dial presses down to act like a "Select" button, making easy use of the Navi. Certainly a big upgrade from the 2012.

Power/Shifting:
Now, it's tough to compare the power when I'm reviewing two V6 models VS the new 2.5L 2014, but I will evaluate how it feels in respect to those. For a 2.5L the 2014 feels a bit underpowered. Now my test drive I was also accompanied by my girlfriend and brother-in-law, making that 4 people total in the car with the saleswoman, but nonetheless I could tell that the car has been made more for the fuel economy than it is for throwing you into your seat.

This being said, when switched to manual mode, I could certainly feel a difference in power, and that the power band is a tad lower than the V6. This is probably thanks to that added torque and slightly different gearing. I had no problem with the slightly wet ground to scrub out a tiny bit when I went 85% throttle from a stop. I was actually shocked that I had scrubbed out a bit and was not expecting it.

Manual mode from both the 2012 and 2014 felt about the same. The shifts are incredibly clean, but somewhat laggy. I assume I can attest some of this delay to the newness of the transmissions and them not being broken in yet. Having driven a Manual car my entire life, it seemed awkward to me that I was able to keep my foot on the gas while shifting. When accelerating quickly, you must remind yourself to take into account the slight delay on the shift, and that you'll be increasing RPMs for that half a second longer. So when I gave it the gas a bit, I would shift for say 4500RPMs, but due to the lag I would be around 4600-4700 by the time the car actually shifted. Again, I can see this getting less and less as the car is broken in and it becomes more fluid.

Handling/Stability/Road Noise:
As expected with all 3 models, the cars handle very well. I got going at a good clip on Rt.9 and must have been scaring the other drivers a tad with my bobbing and weaving, but I didn't want to be testing the stability/cornering on side roads.

All 3 cars are very responsive and feel great while cornering at speed. It could have just been me, but the elongated front of the 2014 made it feel as though it's weight wasn't as centered as the 2012, but rather more like my 2004. This is not a complaint as the cars all handle great, just an observation.

Stability over rough roads has certainly been improved since the 2012. The 2014 felt much more tight, much more "put together" than the 2012 when on bumpy/uneven road surfaces. I cannot attest to how they feel versus my 2004 since I am in desperate need of suspension work.

Overall road noise has been decreased noticeably. The 2004 model being the loudest no question, the 2012 improved upon that and reduced noise a good amount, but the 2014 trumped all of them. I cannot say which tires were on the 2012, but they certainly weren't winter tires, so the comparison should have been relatively equal. The 2014 dampened much more of the noise, offering for a much more enjoyable ride.

Overall:
Overall, the 2014 impresses me on all fronts. It is certainly an upgrade from both pervious models, in both looks and feel. Although it lacks the power that many of us crave in new cars, it makes up for it in drivability and comfort. It is a sporty car with many improvements both inside and out, and is certainly worth the price tag.

I plan on purchasing one of these cars in the near future, and I will be sharing all my experiences with you all here.

Thank you for reading, and I hope this was helpful :)

- Stephen

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2014, driven as a daily driver:

So I've driven the car now for a little while, and wanted to share a few things I've picked up on:

I can't speak much on behalf of the power since I've been driving like a grandma, but here are a couple things that I've noticed (both good and bad):

• Paddle shifters are a tad too short (low?). If you want to hold the wheel 10 and 2, they're situated where your ring and pinky fingers are, rather than middle and ring (which would be more comfortable).

And if you want to hold the wheel properly (at 9 and 3), the wheel isn't nearly as comfortable and there's no place to rest your thumbs aside from on the dash controls (not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't ALWAYS want my thumbs in that position). Also at 9 and 3, my small French Canadian hands can't be both comfortable, AND reach the paddle shifters - they're a bit too close to the wheel, but then again I'm probably just too short lol)

• The vents, and vent positions are superb. The old car I had a tough time warming my hands up without blasting hot air into my face. (First world problems). But my eyes dry out very easily and that's a problem if you have to pick between frozen hands and blindness lol.

The vents locations/angles on this car are great for any warming needs, and DAMN does it feel good to have my seat warmers back and working. I missed those, but for the life of me I can't see why anyone would need 3 settings! On the first setting, my a$$ is NICE and toasty, who needs it to be warmer? :lol:

• The transmission, now that I've put some miles on her, is smooth, crisp, and amazing :) Shifts are extremely clean (both up and down) and have become slightly quicker when using manual mode. I just read a motor trend article in a magazine, and they couldn't praise the transmission on the 2014 enough. They said it FAR exceeds the hesitant and unreliable Altima, the Accord, and certainly the Fusion, and I couldn't agree more.

• It's the little things, really. The gas cap is on a rubber line (like most cars have now), but the best part is that there's a little metal clip that you can hang the cap on while filling up. This way, the cap doesn't have to dangle on the side of the car. I don't know if that hinge was there on purpose for this reason or not, but damnit it's great that it's there!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3,000 Miles of Daily Driving (like an old lady):

• As many of you might know, I can be considered what some people call an "extreme commuter." I drive 64 miles EACH way to and from work 5 days a week. In lay-man's terms, I drive a hell-of-a-lot.

I'm up around 3200 miles since buying the car 1 month ago, and figured I'd weigh in on a few more things for those possibly aspiring to purchase this vehicle. I hope this information can be helpful to those who read it. I know I talk a lot, but if it can even help one person make a decision to buy the car, it's worth it :)

Pros:
  • The car certainly handles like the original 6's, perhaps even better. It bites at the turns and keeps begging for more speed. Unless on very sharp turns, the paddle shifters offer a great means to change gears while keeping a firm grip on the wheel. I was not a fan of these at first, but I am getting used to them and prefer them over the shift knob.

• The transmission has worked itself in a bit and shifts are super clean and very quick. I can't say enough about how cleanly the car changes gears, even 1st into 2nd are noticeably better than the 6's competitors (Altima, Accord, etc).

• Heated side mirrors kick ass when you live in New England, especially when my city (Worcester) has had the most snow of any city this year, and it's 5th snowiest winter in recorded (Worcester) history :)

• Auto-dimming side mirror and rear view mirrors work quickly and efficiently. I am still getting used to the green hue/tint that they cause all headlights to get, but aside from that they work very well and it's much nicer than having to get the reflection of my headliner in my rear view. (See: Old crappy mirror dimming techniques).

• Back-up camera is a godsend while parking in Boston. At first I couldn't stand the fish-eye lens look, but I knew in time I would learn to love it, and boy do I ever. I feel like I can park anywhere with that thing, as long as there's enough space lol. Doesn't phase me, although I do still prefer to double check with my side mirrors JUST to be sure.

• Blind Spot monitoring is also very handy, and comes into use more often than I would have imagined. I typically fiddle with my side mirrors until there is virtually no blind spot, but with that added confidence that the car doesn't put that little light on, I can change lanes without hesitation or worry (for the most part, MA drivers still suck).

• Triple-blink option for your directionals is a wonderful new way to be lazy. I wasn't aware of it's functionality until it was pointed it out to me. Now I don't have to worry about turning the turn signals off once I'm done changing lanes - another calorie saved by American ingenuity! - But seriously, they're very nice when you don't want to be worrying about your turn signals while changing lanes.

Cons:
  • Perhaps I'm still not used to owning an automatic (since I never have), but the lag time when punching it kills me. I want the power, and I want it NAO! It was actually a bit scary one time when I went to change lanes and needed to get up on it to avoid the jack-wagon flying up in the lane with blatant disregard, but for a split-second the car didn't move at all, and my heart stopped, but then she kicked in and got going. Don't know about you, but I'm not typically a fan of heart-stopping near-misses.

• Again with the auto-transmission. I find myself driving very carefully while trying to get the most out of my mpgs. But I also find myself often saying: "Damnit! SHIFT Already!" - The ATX, when trying to get up to speed AND going up a hill (no matter the size) takes its sweet-ass time shifting to the next gear. Even on tiny little hills, I swear the car will wait until I throw it into Manual mode before it shifts. Kind of like: "Oh, driver had to put into manual mode, must be time to shift."

• Apple needs to get their act together and fix the freaking Bluetooth Shuffle playback problem already! (Not a 2014 problem), just want my shuffle working!

• The "Centerpoint" option works great, but only for the driver. That's it's job, really, but that means I have to turn it off with passengers in the car if they are to really enjoy the music. The "AudioPilot" option doesn't seem to make a difference whether it's On or Off - maybe I'm not doing something right, but it doesn't change anything for me.

• The Navigation color settings for nighttime are terrible. I'll rephrase, if it's not pitch black out, or damn near close, the default color settings are NOT visible at all. All secondary options for colors are ugly. Let me pick my own colors, dammit! :D EDIT: I've found a way to "hack" the colors and make your own custom ones! Go here for instructions: http://forum.mazda6club.com/electri...240-diy-customizing-your-2014-navigation.html

• The center shift knob, when put into manual mode, is backwards (to me). I know that Because:Racecar the setup is how it is, but it doesn't make sense in my brain. In Manual Mode, if you want to Shift UP (IE: From 1st gear into 2nd), you press the knob DOWN. Likewise, if you want to shift DOWN (IE: From 3rd into 2nd), you press the knob UP. My brain just doesn't understand this, maybe I need to find someone with a Forza steering setup...... EDIT: After about 2 weeks of getting used to it, I like this setup a LOT. Don't let the above deter you, it's set up correctly, my brain just needed to get adjusted.

10,000 Miles:

• Wait.....10,000 miles, already!? Where did the time go? Wow it's really been that many miles already.

• This will most likely be my last entry into this since at this point I've reviewed and written my opinions on just about everything that there is on this car, both appealing and not.

• 10,000 miles, and it only feels like 100. This car is brand new every time I step into it. It's brand new every time i walk away from it. The car looks, feels, and (to a point) even still smells new. Every time I walk away or see the car from a distance, it amazes me. The body lines and overall appeal of the car is unparalleled.

• The transmission, if possible, got even smoother than my last post. I don't feel shifts at all. I've gotten used to the shifting scheme and I'm more acquainted with the paddle shifters. The car shows a bit more grunt than it used to, either that or I'm forgetting what my V6 felt like - either way I enjoy driving it and the smaller engine still allows for a great drive. After 10k miles I've not once reset my Avg. MPG calculator - it's sitting comfortably at 35.5mpgs with roughly 80% highway and 20% city.

• The bluetooth seems to have (somewhat) fixed itself. I updated the TomTom software and now it actually prompts me to read SMS messages when I receive them, but it refuses to load them on the screen - odd. The shuffle playback is doing much better, but I still have to use the audio command to "Shuffle All" each time I start the car.

• Leaving this short and sweet. The car is amazing and I'd never regret purchasing it even for a second.

22,500 miles

The car is still as solid as a rock. The most fun I have is dropping into 4th gear while cruising on the highway to quickly get around people, this thing has a surprising amount of torque when doing 60, I love it. Still nothing like the V6, but very good considering I'm getting double the gas milage.

I've noticed a slightly rough idle recently, so I'm going to check it out soon. Nothing bad, but I notice absolutely everything with my cars and like knowing what's going on.

I unfortunately hit some terrible potholes during the winter, one really bad on in particular one night when it was raining and I couldn't see anything :( Roads are ridiculous to drive on after that winter we had. I think I may have damaged/loosened a control arm or something because I notice a very slight increase in rough ride coming from the front passenger side wheel. I'll check it out when I have time.

I've got a few chips in the hood, on the bumper, and even a couple on the roof :confused: - This paint is rather thin and it would have been wise to get the paint protectant. *Sigh* but nothing a little touchup paint can't fix :)

But enough complaining about the minor bad things. This car is phenomenal, and I turn heads everywhere I go. I constantly have people asking me about the car, how do I like it, etc. When it's clean, it's blinding and I love it. The leather is still pristine, the interior still (relatively) flawless, accidents happen but nothing bad so far *knocks on wood* and overall I still wouldn't trade this car for anything.

With the summer tires back on and the cold starts gone, I'm up around 35.5mpgs again with 80% city driving - can't beat that. I'm still strictly using Shell gasoline, and as of February I started my 6 month cleanses. Every 6 months, I run a full tank of Shell V-Power to clean everything out. Next time I'll do it is end of July/August.

60,000 Miles

Wow, 60k miles on this car already, how the time has flown. I figure I'll keep writing in here regardless if anyone reads because I want to keep a record of my ownership of this car, if it helps even a single person.

I think I'll sum up my pros and cons briefly for this milestone.

Cons:
  • Until recently, I was still using the OEM Dunlop tires for summer. I upgraded to some Falkens, and even though they're a thinner 35mm sidewall on a larger 20" rim, they're MUCH quieter than the OEMs. I'm happy to say I'll never willingly buy Dunlops again unless they change their whole model.
  • OEM rotors, though I rarely brake hard, were beginning to warp around 30k miles. They didn't get any worse, but didn't get any better either.
  • I've got a rattle above the visor that annoys the crap out of me.
  • On cold mornings, the rear window sounds like it's going to break into a thousand pieces because of how much it rattles. (Until it warms up).
  • I've had a couple Mazda O-rings start to leak oil from the drain plug, no big deal, but annoying if you don't catch it.
  • The paint and clear coat are perhaps the thinnest I've ever seen on a car. I strongly suggest getting OEM touch-up paint from Mazda.
  • The way that rain runs down the rear fenders makes a dirty car look like it has terrible tiger stripes.
  • I miss my MTX more every day.
  • The sunglasses holder seems to need to be slightly deeper - some pairs don't fit at all.
  • Since the update, the navigation has become usable once more, but it's still a very outdated system.
  • Something about this car drives my tinnitus crazy at times. Must be a pressure thing.
  • Voice-commands are useless.
  • The turning radius is mediocre at best.
  • Partially my fault, but my passenger-side bearing is showing a little wear. Pouring rain, late night, unfamiliar area, I hit a bad pothole and since then I've had a slight hum.

Pros:
  • The handling with this car is exception for a sedan. Far exceeds any Honda or Toyota counterpart.
  • Acceleration like this car has for a 2.5L 4-cylinder is quite remarkable if you think about it.
  • Did I mention that I'm averaging 34.5mpgs with city driving and a roof rack?
  • I replaced the pads and rotors at 55k miles, but could easily have gone another 20k miles. Was shocked to see how well they hung on despite the rotors being slightly warped.
  • The Bi-xenons look excellent at night, do a wonderful job lighting up the road, and the high-beams are insane. I feel bad if there's anyone within a quarter mile in front of me on a highway so I don't turn them on.
  • The directional headlights didn't seem like a necessary addition, but boy do I love having them on desolate NH roads at night.
  • The leather seats are super comfy and have just the right amount of support.
  • The leather steering wheel is holding up well and despite someone accidentally putting a couple scratches on the bottom of mine, it's doing perfect.
  • The trunk is MASSIVE. I love being able to fit so much stuff in my car, it's wonderful.
  • I get looks of admiration and wonder all the time, this car stands out so much.
  • The heat gets REALLY hot, and the AC gets REALLY cold.
  • I haven't put my heated seats past setting 1 because I can't imaging what making it hotter would do to my clothes haha.
  • Super easy oil changes. Quick access and easy to reach.
  • Tap-to-pass might be my favorite thing ever.
  • Combine tap-to-pass with paddle-shifters? I'm quite happy when I decide to drive a little more seriously.
  • Having a gas cap that I can hang on the gas door hinge is a simple but great addition.
  • Almost 3 years and 4 New England winters and my OEM windshield wipers are still streak-free! *knocks on wood*

Well, that's all I can ramble off for now that I can think of. I love this car and I hope to have it for another 10 years if she can make it that long :)

75,000 Miles:

Well, here I am again at another mile-marker for owning this car start-to-finish. 75k miles up and down the east coast, down to South Carolina's beautiful beaches, up into the wilderness of up-state Maine, NH and Vermont, as far west as Niagara Falls, and 1.5 hours to and from work 5 days a week..... I love this car more with every second I spend in it.

The biggest "repairs" thus far have been a chattering heat shield and a very slightly wobbly radiator; beyond this, the car has been stellar.

Heads still turn everywhere I go, people always looking curiously at what (not a Honda or Toyota) just drove past them. I even caught a Maseratti owner staring this car down while we were in traffic, only to notice me watching him and quickly avert his glance. I drive as spiritedly as I need to, in and out of heavy Boston traffic each day, and I'm still getting an average of 34mpgs and almost 600 miles per tank.

This car is unreal, and I don't dare think of the day I need to put it away for good - Let's hope I'm writing these into the hundreds of thousands :)

4 Years; 100,000 Miles:

Honestly, I purchased this car originally because I needed something to replace the gas-guzzling, oil-eating monster that my 2004 V6 Mazda6 had become. I know cars aren't investments, and I certainly know getting a new car is essentially throwing away thousands - but I didn't care because the 3rd generation Mazda 6 is just too good to pass up.

Looking back, the only thing I'd do differently is get the MTX, not the ATX GT.

-------------------------------

I got the car while I was still commuting 132 miles per day (~40,000/year), expecting to drive it into the ground. I knew this would be my first and last brand new car, so why not use it for what it was made?

A job relocation, a new job, marriage, vacations, founding a car club and hosting events all across New England, and 4 years later: here I am.

I still turn around and look at this car every single time I get out of it. I still push it hard into corners when I need a smile on my face, and I still get excited to take it on long trips and show it off.

The Avg. MPG hasn't been reset for over 70k miles and it's stayed above 34mph the entire time. Real-world MPGs with a very heavy traffic commute are easily over 32. I can get 37+mpg any time I need to, but it's hard to not want to just cruise around in this thing.

Below are the records I've been keeping of the car. I'm sure I've missed a few things, but hopefully this helps at least one person: which is why I do it :)

These images are fairly large, so feel free to right-click and "open in new tab" for the full size.

See less See more
#3 ·
That compartment you speak of, that I seem to always use for holding random screws I remove from my car ie license plate screws. Have found myself in that habit for my past 2 6's. Oddly enough it's my immediate thought of a good place to set them lol

Sent from my dial up phone

#4 ·
Yeah well the 2014 has something in there that the other models do not, but I couldn't figure out what it was, and the saleswoman had no idea either lol. It almost looked like an infrared sensor but I didn't have time to really study it. I'm assuming it might have something to do with the keyless entry and push start. But honestly I have no idea.

#9 ·
Hello everyone.

Power/Shifting:
Now, it's tough to compare the power when I'm reviewing two V6 models VS the new 2.5L 2014, but I will evaluate how it feels in respect to those. For a 2.5L the 2014 feels a bit underpowered. Now my test drive I was also accompanied by my girlfriend and brother-in-law, making that 4 people total in the car with the saleswoman, but nonetheless I could tell that the car has been made more for the fuel economy than it is for throwing you into your seat.
I felt the complete opposite. I drove one yesterday as well. A loaded GT model. I felt it was more spirited than the 3.0L V6 from the 1st gen, especially when compared to an atx in the 1st gen V6. Also, the motor is far more refined and the transmission is light years a head of what both 1st and second gen tranny's were. The 2nd gen V6 had the luxury of using an Asian sourced transmission, while the 4 cyl used an in-house unit. IMO, the SKYACTIV-D is much better, especially when it comes to down-shifts and up-shifts. It's quicker and smoother. The Asian unit was good, no doubt, but the SKYACTIV-D is better.

The up shifts while under acceleration are phenomenal and rev-matching down shifts are precise. It really feels like a DCT. IMHO.

When comparing the power of the 2.5L to the 3.0L, we see there is not a huge difference...

2.5L : 184hp @5,700 RPM
3.0L : 212hp @6,000 RPM

2.5L : 185ft-lbs @3,250 RPM
3.0L : 197ft-lbs @5,000 RPM

This would explain why I felt the 2014 felt more spirited than a 1st gen V6 because peak torque is available early in the power band. Not to mention the 2.5L will demolish the 3.0L in fuel efficiency, as it to be expected with 10 years of advanced engineering on its side :)

As a previous 1st gen owner (2005 2.3L 5-speed), I felt this is by far the best Mazda6 yet. I'm sure if it had a V6, there would be absolutely nothing to complain about, but perhaps the 2.2L diesel will solve those looking to quench their thirst for power.

#14 ·
As a previous 1st gen owner (2005 2.3L 5-speed), I felt this is by far the best Mazda6 yet. I'm sure if it had a V6, there would be absolutely nothing to complain about, but perhaps the 2.2L diesel will solve those looking to quench their thirst for power.
Or maybe there will end up being a couple simple bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, header, springs/shocks) that could really liven up the 2.5G? That is what I am hoping for. All I want is the "quick" that comes with a well designed engine with a wide/usable powerband and high quality transmission, and a great suspension, not an overload of flywheel HP.

#10 ·
^^ Yes like I said, the car had 4 people in it, and to be perfectly honest I was literally the first person to take it off the lot. It had 10 miles on it. I didn't want to push the engine too hard and ruin it during the test drive.

I could certainly tell that once I got in the power band it really pulled, but I still feel like the V6 clearly pulls harder for longer.

I certainly hope that the diesel fulfills the speed-heads' desire for moar power, because I don't see it coming from this model.

I do agree though, and I noticed that down shifting was very clean and rev-matching was excellent. Again, the transmission might have just had to been broken in more than what it was.

I can't agree more that this is certainly the best overall Mazda 6 made to date. The savings in fuel that I would make in comparison to my current V6 would literally pay for the extra monthly costs.

#12 ·
MazdaUSA gave the green light for test drives, yes - but only to specific dealers. One dealer near my house doesn't even have a 2014 in their shop yet.

I tested bost the 2nd and 3rd gen in manual mode. They seemed about the same. The 3rd gen was much smoother but it still had a bit of delay.

#15 ·
Excellent write-up, Steve.

I know you didn't want to compare the power of the V6 versus the I-4 of the '14, but ya gotta admit that the V6 power of the 2nd-gen was just intoxicating.

That's honestly the only reason why I haven't ordered a '14 yet, but I'm hoping the diesel helps that out a little...

#16 ·
Thanks, sir. I know, the V6 is just like my own. It's freaking intoxicating. Like mentioned though, the '14 has a much different power band so I'm not in the 5000+ RPM range when I finally really start to feel it pulling me, this is a big plus.

I can certainly imagine that the diesel will give you that power you're looking for. With a redline of 5200 and a much broader power band, you're really going to feel the pull all the way through.

#17 · (Edited)
I just wanted to give everyone my experience as well. I normally drive a 2006 MTX 6i. We had 3 people in the car during the test drive(GT model fully loaded). The exterior of the car is beautiful. I think it is the best looking 6 yet - kind of reminds me of a Lexus IS250. The shifting is not as fast as my manual but can be quick at times. There were a couple downshifts that had some lag so I guess its a toss up depending on when/how you shift. It is definitely an improvement over the 1st gen atx.

Handling was not as good as the 1st gen but seemed better then the 2nd gen. I think the 1st gen was more "tight" with less body roll but I was only weaving at 40mph so that may not be totally acurate. Point is - it does feel like you are driving a bigger car.

Overall its a great car and offers a lot to the table. I will wait 2-3 years and maybe I will find a base model mtx for 18k. I paid 16500 out the door with no down payment for my mtx 1st gen 6(base model) and my 2009 mazda3(ATX Touring). My local dealership is selling the 2nd gen for 16k just to get them off the lot to make room for the new model. However I think the 2014 will hold its value better like the 3 because its 95% japanese.

#19 ·
How does the transmission compare to the Aisin 6-speed used in the 05-08's? I've never thought it was a paragon of overall smoothness (it feels mechanical, which I am partial to), nor does it shift particularly fast in manual mode (give your 1-2 shift a 500+ RPM buffer, the 2-3 200+ at WOT), but it is very direct feeling, shifts are clean with no perceivable slip, and dare I say it is sporty overall. I drove the 5-speed JATCO from the earlier V6's because they put it in the 6i for 2006, and thought that transmission was noticeably less smooth, and slippery while being clunkier.

How was the power compared to the 1st gen 6s? I'm sure above 5k it feels softer, but I figured the new engine would feel as strong or stronger.

And with the handling, does the 3rd gen feel smaller? Driving the 2nd vs the 1st made the newer model seem much larger, and given relative wear on suspension components, the 2nd gen was never as buttoned down and ''ready to go''.

At some point I am going to test drive the new one and really thrash it, I just have to know how the ride-handling trade off compares to my '05 6s with Koni FSD's in hard transitions at speed.

#20 ·
How does the transmission compare to the Aisin 6-speed used in the 05-08's? I've never thought it was a paragon of overall smoothness (it feels mechanical, which I am partial to), nor does it shift particularly fast in manual mode (give your 1-2 shift a 500+ RPM buffer, the 2-3 200+ at WOT), but it is very direct feeling, shifts are clean with no perceivable slip, and dare I say it is sporty overall. I drove the 5-speed JATCO from the earlier V6's because they put it in the 6i for 2006, and thought that transmission was noticeably less smooth, and slippery while being clunkier.
Transmission is very smooth. I've only ever driven the Manual 1st generation, so I can't speak on behalf of the auto, but the 3rd gen's trans was smoother than the 2nd, but only minimally. It felt a tad more refined in the 3rd gen.

How was the power compared to the 1st gen 6s? I'm sure above 5k it feels softer, but I figured the new engine would feel as strong or stronger.
Because the power band is located in a different spot than the V6, it's tough to compare. But to compare how each car feels in it's power band, I'd still say the 1st gen pulls you harder. Again though, my test was done with 4 people in the car as opposed to my daily driving with just me. I would like to think that if I were in the 3rd gen alone, I would have less to complain about in the power department.

And with the handling, does the 3rd gen feel smaller? Driving the 2nd vs the 1st made the newer model seem much larger, and given relative wear on suspension components, the 2nd gen was never as buttoned down and ''ready to go''.
The 3rd gen feels even bigger than the 2nd gen, which certainly feels bigger than the 1st gen. That being said, the 3rd gen felt much more "buttoned down" than the 2nd gen, even being a tad larger. It handles very well and was very fluid.

At some point I am going to test drive the new one and really thrash it, I just have to know how the ride-handling trade off compares to my '05 6s with Koni FSD's in hard transitions at speed.
I would have loved to thrash it, but I was literally the first person outside the dude who got it in the showroom to drive this car. You could still smell the fresh oil burning for the first time. I didn't push it nearly as hard as I could have, but just enough to get the "data" I needed to for this review and a good comparison.

#22 ·
Thanks!

If my dealer had an MTX I would have driven that for sure. But I did put the ATX in manual mode and you can definitely get more power out of it like that - obviously since automatic-mode tries to be fuel efficient.

I've read that the twin turbo diesel is supposed to be offered in both ATX and MTX - now THAT is something that will probably get people excited who are looking for moat power.

#26 ·
I got an email from Mazda stating that the Touring MTX will be available at all dealers sometime mid/late February. They said it was because of the last minute decision to put a MTX in the Touring trim. But I haven't noticed anyone talk about a Sport MTX either. Isn't March/April early spring? lol. Hopefully the email I got from Mazda is accurate cuz I am ready to buy one! So I will wait until they come out.

#29 ·
I got an email from Mazda stating that the Touring MTX will be available at all dealers sometime mid/late February. They said it was because of the last minute decision to put a MTX in the Touring trim. But I haven't noticed anyone talk about a Sport MTX either. Isn't March/April early spring? lol. Hopefully the email I got from Mazda is accurate cuz I am ready to buy one! So I will wait until they come out.
That is incorrect. The Sport might show up then, but not a Touring MT.

#31 ·
Just called Jose the Mazda guy that emailed me. He confirmed the Touring getting a MT and confirmed all the info as far as release and dealer stock he gave me is correct. He said it will likely be late February until the Touring MT is stocked at dealers unless something happens to delay them. But they are committed to bring a Touring MT to the USA. He also said until late Jan/ early Feb we won't know pricing or pkg info. He guessed the Touring MT will be about $700-1000 cheaper than the AT Touring but he cannot confirm or deny the tech pkg coming with the Touring MT, or if it and what would be changed until Mazda releases the info. So we have another 3 weeks or so until we have that info.

#39 ·
Once again, im glad i live in Canada and the MTX will be offered on ALL trim levels :)

Maybe down the road i will get my hands on a GT MTX :D
I wonder if Mazda's selling the wagon up there as well? I'm not sure (plus it's late and I'm being a lazy ass) but didn't 1st gen 4cyl wagon get sold in Canada?

#43 ·
Alright, alright.

So there MAY or MAY NOT be a MTX Touring Model. IF it were to come out, it would MOST Likely be Mid February.

For all we know, Mazda plans on making a Speed6 and importing the Wagon from Europe.

We're just going to have to wait and find out. As of right now, the only available options are MTX/ATX Sport, and ATX-only Touring and GT. Mazda's website claims that the Touring comes with MTX but besides some documents online and a single rep, we don't have any hard evidence.

You seem quite emphatic about owning an MTX Touring Max, I sure hope they come out with one buddy - I'd like to see one too :)

#45 ·
Alright, alright.

So there MAY or MAY NOT be a MTX Touring Model. IF it were to come out, it would MOST Likely be Mid February.

For all we know, Mazda plans on making a Speed6 and importing the Wagon from Europe.

We're just going to have to wait and find out. As of right now, the only available options are MTX/ATX Sport, and ATX-only Touring and GT. Mazda's website claims that the Touring comes with MTX but besides some documents online and a single rep, we don't have any hard evidence.

I'd say a printed brochure is as close to "hard evidence" as there can be outside of physically touching the car itself.

#44 ·
I'm going with Aviboy on this one. His past info about Mazda products has been relatively spot-on. Other reps can (and usually) say anything to please the current or future customer, then blame Mazda for the change of dates.

Right now, I won't believe that a Touring MTX will exist here in the States until I see one sitting on a dealer lot with a window sticker on it.

#46 ·
Here's my brief submission to this topic.
Last Friday, I called my local Mazda Dealership to see if they were TD'ing the 2014 and the woman on the phone said yes. I got there promptly as I couldn't sit very still thinking about getting some road time. When I spoke to the guy who approached me, he was unsure if the vehicle was able for TD. Fortunately, I was able to sit myself in the beautiful red 2014 GT.
I really couldn't have picked a worse time to go since it was pouring rain and rush hour on the highway but with 0.2 on the odo, I couldn't resist. We had to get gas which was a fun experience for me to toy with the touch screen and also use the commander knob feature which is seen in many higher end vehicles these days. Its a learn to love option that I'm sure will find handy when changing stations or answering a phone call with the blue tooth feature. Also included is a USB and AUX port which is a very nice feature to add.
Coming from a 2005 6i, I definitely fell in love with the exterior and sporty/fierce look of the front grille (Charger-ish) and the lines on the body are unique and make it stand out on the road. The interior was a black leather(ette?) with red threading which is what I want and was very roomy compared to the 1st gen.
In the rain, the wipers accelerated when more moisture was present which is a nice feature to have. Also, I took some tight turns at speed (50) on the highway on the wet surface and the car had no issues holding the curves. Cabin noise was almost non existent and non noticeable with the premium 11 speaker sound system going.

The next day, my buddy wanted to TD some cars (Kia Optima SXL [274 hp]) so while in the area of dealership-land. I took him to Mazda and we TD'ed the 2014 again. This time, I took some steep mountain back roads and gave the paddle shifters a good workout. Unfortunately, I was stuck behind a few cars but enjoyed the ride none the less. My buddy then swapped spots mid-drive and brought it back to the dealership. He liked the ride overall but wanted more power out of it. I understand this fact but for the 2.5L with the Skyactive-D and boasting an impressive 38 mpg highway, I feel that 186 hp is plenty for my driving ways and will be hella fun to zip around town lookin like a boss.

Overall, I really don't see too many flaws on this vehicle yet. I find it very good looking on both the outie and innie and the spec are right up my range. I have no desire to wait out for a MTX or a diesel (just not my style) so I think once more cars come on the lot, I will be looking to retire my 2005 6i (105k miles) to another owner and try and get my hands on a new 2014 Touring 6 Jet Black Mica (JBM) and black leatherette interior.
Just hoping my bank account agrees with my dreams. (24.5k MSRP for Touring)

#48 ·
MaxCarnage-

I'm not trying to flex muscle and tell you that you are incorrect, that is not my intent. I understand your passion to own a Touring MT and you will get one, in due time. I understand your hesitation in believing what I am saying but if I could offer concrete evidence without putting my job in jeopardy, I would. I hold a very important position with a preferred Mazda dealer and I take Mazda's rules on dealer confidentiality seriously, especially when clearly expressed by the manufacturer.

I understand your passion for the car as I share it with you. I'm so excited about this car and I am envious of those who have already purchased or intend to in the near future.

As you know, we are getting a Touring MT. Wish it were here now so you could buy one!! But, don't fret...before you know it, you will have one sitting in your garage and I can't wait to hear your impressions.

#49 ·
I get that you aren't trying to flex your muscle I just like to verify info and make sure it's not just a rumor like many things on the Internet just separating fact from fiction. Since you hold a high position with a preffered dealer I'm sure your info is pretty spot on. I appreciate it cuz now I won't get annoyed when I don't see the touring MT until march/April. If there is any extra info you can give us that will not jepordize your job please let us know. :) April is a good ways away so I sure hope its March instead!

#54 ·
test drive

I just test drove the 2014 sport model. I currently own a 2004 S V6. I was very impressed with the 4 cyl. In my opinion it felt a lot like my V6. It may be a bit slower 0-60 but I was the first to drive this particular car. The Skyactiv motor is very strong and the transmission shifts are matched very well to the engine. I drove it in stop and go traffic, so curvy back roads, and the interstate. The car felt and steered a little lighter than my 04, the braking was good and the turning radius has improved. The electric steering has the on center connected feel of the first gen 6. I thought that the engine responded very well without hesitation and didn't feel underpowered at all. On the highway the rpms where just over 2000 at 75mph. I tested the manual shift mode on the off ramp and it shifted very well. I had it up to 100 in 4th gear before I merged back on to the highway and it still was pulling. The engine sounds similar to the Miata at high rpm's. I also felt the kickdown button when you press the accelerator the floor. I really don't know if it did anything because I was in manual mode and going 100 already. The way that this engine runs you shouldn't have to floor it anyway. Overall I thought the build quality of the car was good and I enjoyed driving it but I will drive the diesel before I make my decision on buying the new 6.

#55 ·
I just test drove the 2014 sport model. I currently own a 2004 S V6. I was very impressed with the 4 cyl. In my opinion it felt a lot like my V6. It may be a bit slower 0-60 but I was the first to drive this particular car. The Skyactiv motor is very strong and the transmission shifts are matched very well to the engine. I drove it in stop and go traffic, so curvy back roads, and the interstate. The car felt and steered a little lighter than my 04, the braking was good and the turning radius has improved. The electric steering has the on center connected feel of the first gen 6. I thought that the engine responded very well without hesitation and didn't feel underpowered at all. On the highway the rpms where just over 2000 at 75mph. I tested the manual shift mode on the off ramp and it shifted very well. I had it up to 100 in 4th gear before I merged back on to the highway and it still was pulling. The engine sounds similar to the Miata at high rpm's. I also felt the kickdown button when you press the accelerator the floor. I really don't know if it did anything because I was in manual mode and going 100 already. The way that this engine runs you shouldn't have to floor it anyway. Overall I thought the build quality of the car was good and I enjoyed driving it but I will drive the diesel before I make my decision on buying the new 6.
Thanks for review. Good to know dealers are getting Sport models for test drive too. How was the ride on those 17" (softness, road noise etc)? How was the body roll?
I am comparing between Sport trim and Touring trim but not so sure about leatherette. How good are those cloth seats qualitywise?

#58 ·
The pictures look soooo nice! I can't wait to see it in person next weekend at the car show. I will admit I miss the sporty spirit of my 2006 6 ever since I traded it in, so I'm very curious about the new one.

#59 ·
For those who have driven the car, how would you classify the ride quality - stiff, taut, harsh, spongy? How about interior/engine noise?

Considering the 4cyl for my folks who are retired and really just need a decent vehicle for around town purposes. An altima is a contender, but seems there some issues with the cvt/roughness/harshness. Also, there is what 'd I'd consider excessive NVH with the 4 cyl. We test drove a similar accord, which had even more nvh when giving it throttle. Does the 6 exhibit similar noises, or is the cabin better/well insulated from engine noise?

Thanks

#60 ·
I drove a 2014 Mazda 6 Sport (17" tires). The ride quality was taut and composed. Interior noise was much less than my 2009 Nissan Altima SE V6 (87,000 miles, Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires due to be replaced) but nowhere near as quiet as the new 2013 Altima SL V6 and the new 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 or even the new Accord I4 CVT when it's not being pushed hard. If your folks prefer a plush, Lexus-like ride then the 2013 Altima V6 or something like it is a better choice.

#64 ·
We'll definitely be checking out the mazda. On paper, the sport model looks as good as the altima S/SV, and the price point is better (lets hope quality is too). We're really trying to focus on 4cyl's as for in town driving, a 6 cyl for an elderly couple is just over kill for local travels. Dad doesn't really care what he drives so long as it drives well and is reliable (10 yrs with the grand prix with no service needed other than maintenance items).

We're not looking for something that has lexus/mercedes like interior isolation, but at least something similar/comparable to what hes driving now. To be honest, I was shocked at how loud the honda was when getting on the throttle. The car did have only 1 mile on the odo, but still.

Thanks for the replies..

#65 ·
Yeah I would give the Mazda a shot. An auto Sport with 17s rides great to me, just depends on the person and what they want. I would try a few different cars to get a comparison. I know the Mazda is right for me and it was the last car I test drove out of 4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.