2014 - An Ongoing Review - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List
Aviboy97

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
my stupid dealership wouldn't let me drive it last time. Said "the key was locked in a box somewhere".

Did mazda HQ give the green light for test drives now?

I'm interested in how fast the transmission upshifts in manual mode. Is it as slow as the last generation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,788 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdburger View Post
my stupid dealership wouldn't let me drive it last time. Said "the key was locked in a box somewhere".

Did mazda HQ give the green light for test drives now?

I'm interested in how fast the transmission upshifts in manual mode. Is it as slow as the last generation?
MazdaUSA gave the green light for test drives, yes - but only to specific dealers. One dealer near my house doesn't even have a 2014 in their shop yet.

I tested bost the 2nd and 3rd gen in manual mode. They seemed about the same. The 3rd gen was much smoother but it still had a bit of delay.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #13 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Yeah well the 2014 has something in there that the other models do not, but I couldn't figure out what it was, and the saleswoman had no idea either lol. It almost looked like an infrared sensor but I didn't have time to really study it. I'm assuming it might have something to do with the keyless entry and push start. But honestly I have no idea.
The guy at the dealership told me it was for the GPS,software/memory card...iirc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide App

K&N CAI,Magnaflow exhaust,HID driving & fog lights,DoubleDin stereo with NAV,VIS carbon fiber hood,Autoexe grill & lip,Motegui 18' rims with Hankook tires,speed6 brakes,Steel braided lines,TB coolant bipass,TB grounded,PKE alarm system,Mazdaspeed short shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Groans: 20
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviboy97 View Post
As a previous 1st gen owner (2005 2.3L 5-speed), I felt this is by far the best Mazda6 yet. I'm sure if it had a V6, there would be absolutely nothing to complain about, but perhaps the 2.2L diesel will solve those looking to quench their thirst for power.
Or maybe there will end up being a couple simple bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, header, springs/shocks) that could really liven up the 2.5G? That is what I am hoping for. All I want is the "quick" that comes with a well designed engine with a wide/usable powerband and high quality transmission, and a great suspension, not an overload of flywheel HP.
post #15 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Excellent write-up, Steve.

I know you didn't want to compare the power of the V6 versus the I-4 of the '14, but ya gotta admit that the V6 power of the 2nd-gen was just intoxicating.

That's honestly the only reason why I haven't ordered a '14 yet, but I'm hoping the diesel helps that out a little...

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mz6GreyGhost For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (01-14-2013), tommyz23 (01-14-2013)
post #16 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz6GreyGhost View Post
Excellent write-up, Steve.

I know you didn't want to compare the power of the V6 versus the I-4 of the '14, but ya gotta admit that the V6 power of the 2nd-gen was just intoxicating.

That's honestly the only reason why I haven't ordered a '14 yet, but I'm hoping the diesel helps that out a little...
Thanks, sir. I know, the V6 is just like my own. It's freaking intoxicating. Like mentioned though, the '14 has a much different power band so I'm not in the 5000+ RPM range when I finally really start to feel it pulling me, this is a big plus.

I can certainly imagine that the diesel will give you that power you're looking for. With a redline of 5200 and a much broader power band, you're really going to feel the pull all the way through.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.

post #17 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to zoomzoomz6
I just wanted to give everyone my experience as well. I normally drive a 2006 MTX 6i. We had 3 people in the car during the test drive(GT model fully loaded). The exterior of the car is beautiful. I think it is the best looking 6 yet - kind of reminds me of a Lexus IS250. The shifting is not as fast as my manual but can be quick at times. There were a couple downshifts that had some lag so I guess its a toss up depending on when/how you shift. It is definitely an improvement over the 1st gen atx.

Handling was not as good as the 1st gen but seemed better then the 2nd gen. I think the 1st gen was more "tight" with less body roll but I was only weaving at 40mph so that may not be totally acurate. Point is - it does feel like you are driving a bigger car.

Overall its a great car and offers a lot to the table. I will wait 2-3 years and maybe I will find a base model mtx for 18k. I paid 16500 out the door with no down payment for my mtx 1st gen 6(base model) and my 2009 mazda3(ATX Touring). My local dealership is selling the 2nd gen for 16k just to get them off the lot to make room for the new model. However I think the 2014 will hold its value better like the 3 because its 95% japanese.

2006 Mazda 6i, MTX(5-spd), Interior Mods: Mazda 3 blue shift knob, window tint, audiolink ipod kit, steel pedals. Outside is completely stock.

Last edited by zoomzoomz6; 01-14-2013 at 08:23 AM.
post #18 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavintech View Post
Or maybe there will end up being a couple simple bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, header, springs/shocks) that could really liven up the 2.5G? That is what I am hoping for. All I want is the "quick" that comes with a well designed engine with a wide/usable powerband and high quality transmission, and a great suspension, not an overload of flywheel HP.
Considering the car already has a 4-2-1 exhaust header, I'm not so sure an aftermarket one would help. It gets tricky there because the OEM one is engineered to help the car run at a 13:1 compression ratio without knock.

Once you drive one, let us know if you think it is "quick". I think it is, especially compared to gen 1. The only ones who will not agree are 2nd gen V6 owners. 272hp/270ft-lbs is hard to get over, as I suspect greyghost might feel, and I can't say that I would disagree with their thoughts.

post #19 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
How does the transmission compare to the Aisin 6-speed used in the 05-08's? I've never thought it was a paragon of overall smoothness (it feels mechanical, which I am partial to), nor does it shift particularly fast in manual mode (give your 1-2 shift a 500+ RPM buffer, the 2-3 200+ at WOT), but it is very direct feeling, shifts are clean with no perceivable slip, and dare I say it is sporty overall. I drove the 5-speed JATCO from the earlier V6's because they put it in the 6i for 2006, and thought that transmission was noticeably less smooth, and slippery while being clunkier.

How was the power compared to the 1st gen 6s? I'm sure above 5k it feels softer, but I figured the new engine would feel as strong or stronger.

And with the handling, does the 3rd gen feel smaller? Driving the 2nd vs the 1st made the newer model seem much larger, and given relative wear on suspension components, the 2nd gen was never as buttoned down and ''ready to go''.

At some point I am going to test drive the new one and really thrash it, I just have to know how the ride-handling trade off compares to my '05 6s with Koni FSD's in hard transitions at speed.

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD new DD to me, no mods yet.
post #20 of 142 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Shiro Shinobi

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydtron View Post
How does the transmission compare to the Aisin 6-speed used in the 05-08's? I've never thought it was a paragon of overall smoothness (it feels mechanical, which I am partial to), nor does it shift particularly fast in manual mode (give your 1-2 shift a 500+ RPM buffer, the 2-3 200+ at WOT), but it is very direct feeling, shifts are clean with no perceivable slip, and dare I say it is sporty overall. I drove the 5-speed JATCO from the earlier V6's because they put it in the 6i for 2006, and thought that transmission was noticeably less smooth, and slippery while being clunkier.
Transmission is very smooth. I've only ever driven the Manual 1st generation, so I can't speak on behalf of the auto, but the 3rd gen's trans was smoother than the 2nd, but only minimally. It felt a tad more refined in the 3rd gen.

Quote:
How was the power compared to the 1st gen 6s? I'm sure above 5k it feels softer, but I figured the new engine would feel as strong or stronger.
Because the power band is located in a different spot than the V6, it's tough to compare. But to compare how each car feels in it's power band, I'd still say the 1st gen pulls you harder. Again though, my test was done with 4 people in the car as opposed to my daily driving with just me. I would like to think that if I were in the 3rd gen alone, I would have less to complain about in the power department.

Quote:
And with the handling, does the 3rd gen feel smaller? Driving the 2nd vs the 1st made the newer model seem much larger, and given relative wear on suspension components, the 2nd gen was never as buttoned down and ''ready to go''.
The 3rd gen feels even bigger than the 2nd gen, which certainly feels bigger than the 1st gen. That being said, the 3rd gen felt much more "buttoned down" than the 2nd gen, even being a tad larger. It handles very well and was very fluid.

Quote:
At some point I am going to test drive the new one and really thrash it, I just have to know how the ride-handling trade off compares to my '05 6s with Koni FSD's in hard transitions at speed.
I would have loved to thrash it, but I was literally the first person outside the dude who got it in the showroom to drive this car. You could still smell the fresh oil burning for the first time. I didn't push it nearly as hard as I could have, but just enough to get the "data" I needed to for this review and a good comparison.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page