post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Infotainment Hacks

Anyone aware of any infotainment hacks for the 2016 Mazda 6? Similar to mazda3hacks.com? Looking to disable to speed restriction.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Thanked 3,821 Times in 2,668 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Speed restriction, as far as TomTom is concerned, was built in by Mazda and hard-wired.

There was ONE member who joined here claiming he snipped a certain wire and removed that restriction, but he never proved it and we haven't heard from him since.

For the available mods you can see my rantings here:

DIY: Customizing Your 2014 Navigation Scheme

and here

NB1 Navigation System Safety Lock

But that pertains to the 2014 models - The 2016 I do not know how to customize, sorry.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
All Infotainment with V27.x are the same. You can apply the exact same hacks to it.

There is nothing "hard wired".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like this thread is mislabeled. It should be called TomTom/Navigation hacks - not Infotainment hacks.

Byakuya, great tips on modifying the Navigation system. I'll definitely be playing around with those.

However, what I am interested in is hacking the Infotainment system. Changing themes to the default Mazda Radio/Phone/messages etc screen as it looks like it's made by a blind 5 year old. [attached image]

Currently investigating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip20150807_3.jpg
Views:	2379
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	159705  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Speed restriction, as far as TomTom is concerned, was built in by Mazda and hard-wired.

There was ONE member who joined here claiming he snipped a certain wire and removed that restriction, but he never proved it and we haven't heard from him since.

For the available mods you can see my rantings here:

DIY: Customizing Your 2014 Navigation Scheme

and here

NB1 Navigation System Safety Lock

But that pertains to the 2014 models - The 2016 I do not know how to customize, sorry.
Hi all! I successfully disabled the safety lock for the TomTom navigation unit on my 2014 Touring. It is as simple as cutting one wire. Here is the original thread that discusses it:

Navi safety lock disable

If anyone has any questions about it, I would be glad to answer. I'm not on here every day, so I might not get back to you immediately.

Current: 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 6 Touring, 2012 Mazda 3 Touring Sold: 2004 Mazda 6s V6 5-door
The Following User Says Thank You to jskywalker For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (08-07-2015)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Thanked 3,821 Times in 2,668 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskywalker View Post
Hi all! I successfully disabled the safety lock for the TomTom navigation unit on my 2014 Touring. It is as simple as cutting one wire. Here is the original thread that discusses it:

Navi safety lock disable

If anyone has any questions about it, I would be glad to answer. I'm not on here every day, so I might not get back to you immediately.
Thank you for confirming it. I was hesitant because only a single person in that thread claimed to have done it. This is big news for all of us if it's confirmed. Maybe I'll try my hand at cutting this wire and be the final confirmation. I'm not worried about messing with electronics

@NickA - I've done a bit of research into hacking the TomTom and it's not going to be easy. As far as any GPS hacking websites are concerned, no one has bothered with the NB1 because it's so few and far between. I wanted to tear into one a bit and do some digging around, but I didn't have a spare around to brick and I didn't want to rip mine out to experiment on. Let us know if you find out anything useful

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Thank you for confirming it. I was hesitant because only a single person in that thread claimed to have done it. This is big news for all of us if it's confirmed. Maybe I'll try my hand at cutting this wire and be the final confirmation. I'm not worried about messing with electronics
There were a few things that helped me. The OP from the link above spurred me on to do it. I checked the wiring diagram for the 2014 Mazda 6, and everything he described seemed to check out. I found a Youtube video which showed me exactly how to pull the navi unit from the dash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoncFAELsDQ

You do NOT have to remove the glove box as this video shows. Just use a plastic pry tool and you can pry that dash trim off starting at the right corner and working from right to left. I saw a different video where a guy did it this way and it is faster.

Once the head unit is pulled out, you have to do a little more investigative work to find the correct wire in the harness because it is tightly wrapped with loom. You have to cut that loom back a little bit to gain access to the correct wire. There are some other wires that look similar, so be careful to make sure you cut the correct one.

I'm sorry that I didn't take any pictures. I was in a hurry to get it done before leaving town for a trip.

Boy it is sweet to have that safety lock disabled!

Current: 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 6 Touring, 2012 Mazda 3 Touring Sold: 2004 Mazda 6s V6 5-door
The Following User Says Thank You to jskywalker For This Useful Post:
Byakuya (09-14-2015)
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
> @NickA - I've done a bit of research into hacking the TomTom

The 2016 (at least, my 2016) doesn't have TomTom, it has some generic(?) Navteq thing that's kind of a pain to use. I guess I got spoiled with my (portable) Garmin Nuvi. Among other issues, the Navteq UI doesn't make logical sense, the live traffic doesn't seem be integrated into the routes or show up on the normal navigation map, and it has no idea what the voice command "Navigate home" means.

Love the new car, hate the integrated nav system -- and it was one the things I was really looking forward to coming from the portable nav on the windshield. Now all I can think is about ways I could replace the nav unit.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 02:52 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
2016 Mazda6 GT owner, and software developer here. You absolutely do not need to snip any wires to disable the speed restrictions on a 2016 Mazda6. What you do need is a way to SSH into the computer. The items needed to gain access are as follows:

- USB ethernet adaptor
- cat5/6 cable
- network router
- laptop with ssh (PuTTY if you're on windows)
- recommended: power inverter car capable of supplying power to router

Quick Steps:
1. plug usb ethernet adaptor into car's usb
2. run ethernet cable from usb adaptor to router
3. plug router into power inverter
4. plug power inverter into the slot in center console (it continues to supply power after engine is turned off)
5. turn on car
6. connect laptop to router (wireless is fine)
7. confirm that the car is establishing a connection with the router.
8. obtain ip address of car.
9. ssh into car with username of root.
10. password should be jci
11. once in, mount drive in write mode with "mount -o rw,remount /"
12. edit /jci/scripts/set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh with vi
13. comment out the line that calls enable_speed_restriction (for me its line 19)
14. save file
15. edit /jci/scripts/set_speed_restriction_config.sh with vi
16. comment out the line that calls enable_speed_restriction (for me its line 19)
17. save file
18. reboot infotainment (command is literally "reboot")

Expanding:

7. confirm that the car is establishing a connection with the router.
Usually a light on the router that represents the port the cable is plugged into will be on. I did this while sitting in the parking lot at nearest best buy, ended up exchanging twice, third one (and cheapest) worked.

8. obtain ip address of car.
There are a few different ways this can be done. Most common methods are either ip scans, logging into the router via web browser and checking dhcp tables, or even simply trying to guess by ping. IIRC the dhcp tables will have a blank name for the car. Chances are the car will have an ip address of 192.168.1.X where X is 100 or slightly higher.

9. ssh into car with username of root.
With car ip of 192.168.1.101, on mac and linux, command would be "ssh root@192.168.1.101". I don't remember how PuTTY does it, but I think you provide username and ip address in separate fields.

12 & 15 editing
vi (yes, that is the name of the program) is the only editor on the disk. It's not as easy to use as vim (vi improved). A real simplified description of vi would be: it has two modes; command, and edit. vi starts off by default in command mode.

- To exit command mode, and enter edit mode, hit i.
- To exit edit mode and return to command mode, hit escape.

The following can be performed from command mode:
- To undo, hit u.
- To save, type :w<enter>
- To quit without saving, type :q!
- To quit with saving, type :wq

Use google for vi tutorials if you need more info.

In order to disable speed restrictions, still need to comment out the line that enables it. In the files, you should see something along the lines of

File set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh:
if [ "$1" == "enable" ]; then
echo "Setting Speed Restriction Configuration to 'enable'"
enable_speed_restriction

and

File set_speed_restriction_config.sh:
echo "Setting BUS_BCM Speed Restriction Configuration to 'enable'"
enable_speed_restriction

Those need to changed into

File set_lvds_speed_restriction_config.sh:
echo "Setting Speed Restriction Configuration to 'enable'"
# enable_speed_restriction

and

File set_speed_restriction_config.sh:
echo "Setting BUS_BCM Speed Restriction Configuration to 'enable'"
# enable_speed_restriction

The only difference is the # before enable_speed_restriction. Make sure to save (from command line, type :wq<enter>).

At this point, any calls that the computer attempts to enable speed restrictions will be disabled. Might need to reboot infotainment (or turn car on/off) if not.
OCTOGONPC and avalx like this.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chemisus For This Useful Post:
avalx (12-13-2016), Badbenz94 (09-18-2015), Byakuya (09-18-2015), ethanhom (11-11-2015), hoorah (04-11-2016), JayinMI (04-05-2017), koenick (09-27-2015), OCTOGONPC (04-05-2017), rjhornsby (09-17-2015)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Garage
> What you do need is a way to SSH into the computer.

If true, holy crap that's awesome and kind of terrifying

> - USB ethernet adaptor

What brand/chipset is the adapter you have? Traditionally, those types of devices only work with a certain subset of chipsets without additional drivers. Adding hardware drivers to the vehicle OS obviously is out.

> - network router

It sounds like you're describing the car looking for a DHCP server to get an IP address.

The router isn't necessary if you're using a Mac (or a Linux box and you fire up a DHCP server). When you set up Internet Sharing on a Mac, it automatically starts a DHCP server on the port you shared your internet connection "to computers using" (usually the "Wired Connection"). I can't reproduce the exact instructions from memory.
JayinMI likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page