post #72 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:18 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thread revival and my first post here in a VERY long time.

Finally bought myself a double din headunit (Kenwood DNX693S) and scooped up one of these ebay kits (used of course) locally from a friend. Of course, he had a single din installed and cant find the double din brackets or trim ring. Looks like I may have to get crafty and make some brackets from steel.

Im sure some of the posts in this thread about the wiring will be a huge help.

Cant wait to get this thing installed!!
post #73 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I would actually like to know is if I actually need the brackets from my old oem radio to mount it to my HU and what size to use for the screws that will hold the HU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 99 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Wink Double Din Project WIP

Glad to see this thread seeing some life again. Its been one of those I've come across and read again and again to plan for my stereo upgrade in my 2007 Mazda 6 GY. Last year i upgraded the door speakers, and this year I've gotten the double din kit and took out all the coloured plastic trimmings and had it all painted.

So over the next few months I'll be getting things setup and ready to go based on not at least the wirering post in here from jcf6288.

As for head unit I've gone with Xtrons Octacore TB706APL which is one of the few Chinese models that allows for RCA out for rear screens.

I'm going to have to splice some cables onto the CANbus ISO adapter I got for steering wheel controls but once done it should end up pretty epic.

Here is a couple of pics of the painted double din.

Double Din Full:

Double Din Closeup:

Hope this can help inspire others to go down this path.
post #75 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:01 AM
Learners License

Garage
Wink Double Din Project WIP - Update

Update coming later today.

Head unit arrived and so did other parts.

Last edited by ziggimon; 04-04-2017 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Adding more info.
post #76 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:02 AM
Learners License

Garage
Wink Double Din Project WIP - Part #2

So as I mentioned parts arrived. And I’m starting to feel like a little kid again.

The head unit arrived:

And its looking great. The Xtrons Octacore TB706APL is a fair bit longer than the 108mm as the docs say, its more like 143mm like the other Chinese units. But it should still fit.

Among other parts I ordered is a DAB+ USB dongle with antenna. I also had to order an external mic as the Xtrons ship without them. And I had previously ordered a ISO CANbus adapter harness to get the steering wheel controls over to the head unit. The one I ordered even came with a cable from the control box to the Chinese models so it should be an easy fit.

My focus at the moment is the cabling and splicing of cables to make sure all connections are correct and working. I’ve found out that I have to splice around 15-17 cables to get all things working right.

Cables and stuff can be seen here:

The current plan is to use some 40cm Arduino cables (They are quite similar to the PC bezel kit linked to earlier in this thread but much easier to come by) to splice into the ISO harness and I have a box of misc housings for the Arduino cables to click into. I’m hoping the 10 pin one I have just slides right into the LED display once done.

Furthermore I’m going to use the Double Din kit’s universal harness as a donor for the cables I need to feed into the Double Din circuit boards. So cutting off the Molex and CANbus wires and splicing them into the ISO CANbus adapter for easy fitting when I actually fit the unit into the car.

In the ISO CANbus kit I ordered the illumination pin was missing from the car end of the cable, so I’ve unclipped the pin in the Double Din kits universal harness and fed that into my primary harness. That will allow me to pull the illumination controls over to both the top LED display and the head unit (Yeah the head unit has an illumination in wire).

To make this all come together I’ll be using my trusty Weller temp controlled soldering iron and a fair bit of wire shrink wrap. So once done it should end up nice and robust.

I also wanted to get a quick feel of how the head unit will look in the dash. So I added a little felt tape to the headunit and fixed it to the dash kit. Looks really nice:

So over the next few nights or early next week I’ll probably be fixing wires and testing their connections etc. Should be fun
post #77 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:09 AM
Learners License

Garage
One more thing I forgot to mention, is that the spacer frame that comes with the Double Din kit doesn't work on the Chinese double din head units, its way to small. That also means that if one isn't using the spacer the fastening of the brackets for the head unit don't lign up right.

There are small raised pins from the kit to ensure the spacer frame locks in place right. I'll have to cut those off and also cut a tiny bit off the screw points that extrude from the Dash kit to fasten the brackets on. I'm thinking the best solution may be to use one screw in each bracket to make it sit reasonably firm to the kit, and then use some sort of super glue to make the brackets fit perfectly tight.

I'll add pictures of what I mean when I'm back home with the kit.
post #78 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:07 PM
Learners License

Garage
Red face Double Din Project WIP - The Mounts

So as I was mentioning before the actual mounts for the Double Din unit is not fully on par with the Chinese units. To make things fit I need to cut off/back some of the plastic to make room for actually gluing/mounting the brackets on to fit the unit.

These are the points I'm planning to cut back:

And just to show how the brackets don't fit see this image:

I think cutting them down and using superglue may be the best option. As the plastic pins for the screws is quite frail and seems to be splitting when using the screws that came with the kit.

Ofc if others have any good ideas I'm all open for it. I won't be cutting it off/back until next week anyways as my focus this week is to get the cable sorted.
post #79 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:14 PM
100% CANUCK

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,205 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggimon View Post
One more thing I forgot to mention, is that the spacer frame that comes with the Double Din kit doesn't work on the Chinese double din head units, its way to small. That also means that if one isn't using the spacer the fastening of the brackets for the head unit don't lign up right.

There are small raised pins from the kit to ensure the spacer frame locks in place right. I'll have to cut those off and also cut a tiny bit off the screw points that extrude from the Dash kit to fasten the brackets on. I'm thinking the best solution may be to use one screw in each bracket to make it sit reasonably firm to the kit, and then use some sort of super glue to make the brackets fit perfectly tight.

I'll add pictures of what I mean when I'm back home with the kit.
@ziggimon am I understanding that you arent using the included double din brackets? Would you be willing to sell them to me?

The used kit I bought had a single din in previously and the seller is having trouble locating the double din brackets for me.

Please let me know if you can help me out.
post #80 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Learners License

Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smoke View Post
@ziggimon am I understanding that you arent using the included double din brackets? Would you be willing to sell them to me?

The used kit I bought had a single din in previously and the seller is having trouble locating the double din brackets for me.

Please let me know if you can help me out.
Hey Mr.Smoke,

I wish I could, but I won't be able to help out there. I mounted the brackets with superglue this evening. As I wrote I was going to cut the plastic mounts on the dash kit to fit the brackets. As you can see here:

and

So based on the mounts on the dash kit the brackets that came along with the double din radio where metal and didn't have wholes that fit the mount. So I opted to glue + one large screw per bracket and see if that along with the unit being a tight fit to keep it all in place.

I hope you can find brackets. Feeling your struggle there! It was quite a trip just to get my dash kit, I had to have it muled to me in Europe from the US (Seller didn't ship to EU).

Tomorrow I'm planning to complete the ISO cable splicing and if that goes well I should have time to mount the unit tomorrow (if the brackets hold up ofc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page