jerking at 40 mph - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
you say its when you accelerate... at 3k rpm... may it be the VVT "kicks in"? really donno the simptoms of a bad vvt salenoid but ... just a sugestion...

2004 mazda 6s wagon/ nautilus headers/mf cat back/tb bypass/tb spacer/ k&n CAI/red painted callipers+mazda sticker/ AWR lower engine mount 70duro/b&m tranny cooler/magnetic tranny filter/v-power ngk plugs/55w HID/7k angel eyes/ all interior white LED bulbs/EGR reroute mod/DD metra kit-Clarion NX602 HU/ back up camera /IM spacer/M Milan engine swap/grounding kit
The Following User Says Thank You to MaKeH For This Useful Post:
gray03 (05-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Internal to the torque converter is a lock-up clutch. **Usually** it is applied in the upper gears to effectively stall the converter so there is no slippage and increase fuel efficiency and reduce heat. Historically its not used in lower gears as its to jarring to the occupants when on and off the gas (feels like a manual trans). To reduce the jarring when it is engaged it must be able to drop out of LU during gear change so the T/C can slip. Also when braking it must unlock or the car will shudder. Brake pedal application drops it out of lock up (LU). My suggestion to you is to take off and get into 3rd gear and very very very lightly apply the brakes so the ECM keeps it out of LU. If doing this makes a noticeable change, (try it several times), this may be it.
One could try to find other ways to diagnose Torque converter lockup issues but often times these are terminal and lend themselves towards tranny removal.

Was there clutch material in the oil you drained? Small black particles? The test is easy. Also you may be able to lock it in 4th for example and cruise on a very slight up hill grade at 40+ mph and just tap the brake. Can you feel it nudge into LU moments after letting off the brakes? Note up hill is easier to feel than down hill or level ground.

Also a typical shift pattern would be:
1>2,2>3, 3 to lockup (3LU), 3LU>4,4>4LU,4LU>5. . . etc

Something to think about and try.
DrFeelGood likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Final Impact For This Useful Post:
gray03 (05-02-2013)
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally, the culprit is out. It was a darn EGR valve, it wasn't not giving me a CEL for almost a year, that it was stuck (so i guess it was occasionally getting stuck). So lately CEL came up that its stuck, so i took it apart and gave it a good clean. But unfortunately it did not help (probably solenoid), end up buying a new one and now car works like a champ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For anyone still trying to fix this problem, mine was ignition coils rather than the EGR. Seems anything leading to a misfire could cause these symptoms (?). I wasn't getting a CEL either and tried a bunch of things before changing the coils worked.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did your dash lights go out ? That’s whats happening to my 05 6i. The light indicating the gear the car is in goes dark and then flickers and car lurches or jerks (almost like the car doesn’t know what gear it’s in)
Need help
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwng78 View Post
Did your dash lights go out ? Thatís whats happening to my 05 6i. The light indicating the gear the car is in goes dark and then flickers and car lurches or jerks (almost like the car doesnít know what gear itís in)
Need help
In the early models there were issues with the throttle body and a similar issue to what you describe. I do not know if it applied to the 4cyl but it may be worth looking into. Search throttle body dash lights shuddering/jerking.

A salvage yard replacement my be a cheapish test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Did someone already make an immature masturbation joke?? Because if not.. I'd like to field this one!

2017 Mazda 6 GT ATX w/ Premium Pkg - Stock
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Track Racer

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timer View Post
Did someone already make an immature masturbation joke?? [...snip]
yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Y MAZDA View Post
dude, quit jerking it in your car!

Too slow McGraw

2004 6s Wagon 3.0, 5-speed ATX, Performance White (A2N)
Modifications:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page