Hard shift from 1st to 2nd :( - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > ATX Transmission Discussion
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hard shift from 1st to 2nd :(

Hi I have a 2004 Mazda 6 with a 4 cyl. I just noticed today that it shifting hard from 1st to 2nd not all the time but at least half the time. I haven't noticed it downshifting hard at all. Any ideas? Time for a service from a tranny shop I guess! Oh ya it's got 170,000 kms on it.
Metricscaler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learners License

My son has a 2005 Mazda 6I with same problem. I notice his tranny fluid is a light brown color so I'm going to drain the tranny fluid from the drain plug under the car. I've learned from this forum you either do a complete tranny flush at a tranny shop or dealership or do the drain and refill.

My question is, what type of fluid do we use? The tranny dipstick on my son's car is rad at the top and says M -V Is that Mercon V?
hkycards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

Groans: 4
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a 2004 6i that has the same issue. When I got my trans fluid flushed it helped a little but it still has hard shifts from 1st to 2nd every once and a while (worse during winter months). From what I have read, our tranny is crap and there isn't much you can do except replace fluid (flush or drain and fill), put in a tranny cooler or replace.

It's a common problem in the first generation mazda 6. 2007 models have an issue with hard shifts from 3rd to 4th. Mazda wont admit there is a problem, which seems to be their M.O.
6i Mazda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
banana boat.

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 50 Times in 46 Posts

M-V is mazda M-V.... though I have used mercon V for ages, they say it isn't the same.

for those who have changed the fluid, you should look at the transmission mount itself and verify that it is good shape. having a torn mount will create a similar feeling.
flipper66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

Send a message via Skype™ to slarkins

There's a lot of people that have similar problems with their Mazda shifting hard... I have an 07 and it shifts hard from 3rd to 4th. Someone told me that if enough people file a complaint at safercar.gov then they will have to look into it and may file a recall... It only takes a few minutes to file the complaint. It's worth a shot.
slarkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Learners License

This is what I found while surfing internet for the answer. It is mazda bulletin for the problem. If someone did this already, please advise on the outcome.

TSB: 05-009/06
2003 - 2005 MAZDA6 2.3L - 1 - 2 SHIFT SHOCK - (TRANS RELEARN PROCEDURE DELETED)
NOTE: This bulletin replaces 05-009/05. Please update your records accordingly. BULLETIN NOTE This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 05-009/05, issued on 07/29/05. The REPAIR PROCEDURE and WARRANTY INFORMATION have been revised. APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2003 - 2005 Mazda6 2.3L vehicles with automatic transmission
DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit 1st - 2nd shift shock under light to medium acceleration when engine temperature is cold or during warm-up. The TCM logic has been revised to correct this concern.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Reboot the PDS/IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.
2. Using PDS/IDS B37.3 P5 or later software, reprogram the TCM to the latest calibration (refer to "Calibration Information" table) by following the "Module Reprogramming" procedure.
parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Learners License

that seems a work to be done only on advanced shops... where should i get the software to reprogram the TCM?
darkideon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Cold start and winter weather shift shock has been a plaguing problem for the first gen 6. Although it can be disconcerting and uncomfortable, it doesn't really hurt anything mechanical-wise.
Not to say that that's the case in all posts here but it has been posted many times....search shift shock.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

mine is doing it from 3rd to 4th I have an 08... but only when I got past 3k
flipster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

I have an '08 model and have experienced the hard shifting from 1st to 2nd and occasionally (but to a much lesser degree) 2nd to 3rd.

I've flushed the transmission fluid when I got my 50,000 mile tune-up but after a while the issue resurfaced.

Since then I've done some driving and experimenting during my trips back from work (I only drive using the sport shifter) and I've found two decent (though not perfect) workarounds for the situation... Of course, none of this is scientifically based and your mileage may vary (I take no responsibility if you try out what I said, but it would be cool if you did so I can verify it's not my own imagination) but this is just an account of what worked for me. :P

I originally noticed the severity of this issue was heavily dependent on the timing of the reapplication of the accelerator upon release of the gas pedal prior to shifting. I've had some extremely hard shifts because I had applied the gas too early. I don't know if it's just my car but the engine tends to hang for a 1/4-1/2 second or so before the next gear kicks in, especially on the low gears. What I originally did to mitigate this issue was to leave my foot on the gas at a constant pressure when I shifted from 1st to 2nd and then shift as I normally did after that. This worked reasonably well, but I felt that there had to be a better way to get around this issue so I kept experimenting.

What I found worked even better was right before changing gears, to let go of the gas, upshift and then immediately reapply pressure to the accelerator (the same amount of pressure to the accelerator before you had lifted off your foot). I found that the faster you do it, the shifts tend to be a lot smoother. Likewise, the longer the delay, the shift tends to crunch harder. Because of this tendency, execution of this method seems easier when you want to accelerate quickly because you're focused on making quick shifts but when you're just normally accelerating (e.g. moving along in bumper-to-bumper traffic) it's harder only because you're at a much relaxed level and the car requires a quick shift (in other words, it seems like too much effort on the part of the driver to continually make quick shifts when you're just cruising along). In any case, to help with the timing, I usually tap the dead pedal with my left foot as if it were some sort of clutch and match my upshift at the same time as the tap. The downside to this is, it works better when you have room to accelerate as you'll be hitting the gas pedal twice. If you're in traffic, it might save you more gas to just wait for the next gear to engage without leaving your foot on the gas.

On a side note, the smoothest shifts I've had were a variation of the above method where you smoothly ease up on the gas until it's almost off and then smoothly reapply it. I've done it accidentally a few times but you feel only a very subtle nudge because of the weight of the car but you don't hear nor feel anything from the gearbox. It's very rewarding feeling but my pedalwork isn't good so I usually just stick to the above method. :P
kyungjin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.