Transmission Fluid Flush/Oil Pan Question - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > ATX Transmission Discussion
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hello, guys and gals.
So I bought this 2005 Automatic mazda 6i hatchback that had about 72,000 miles about 2 months ago.
When I drove it more often, I started to feel really "slight jerking" of the car when gears are changing to 1st to 2nd and 3rd.
It also seems like it is having a hard to shifting by itself. But when I used the tiptronic, there is no jerk or whatsoever.

so yesterday, when I took my car into service for oil change. I've noticed a filthy oil filter and knew the previous owner haven't changed oil in awhile. He overtorqued the bolt, where it goes in the oil pan to stop the oil from leaking, and now the thread on the bolt and the oil pan were stirpped off. The serive people were able to put something in there to stop the leak. (It looks like i have to get a new oil pan from what they said.... ;; really?)

I also told them to check the transmission fluid because I thought that was the reason why there was "slight jerk" and my car having hard time to shift by itself. With no surprise, the transmission fluid color was light brown, compared to how pink or light red it should be. The service people refused to do a Trasmission fluid Flush because they told me that the car can stop shifting. (something that has to do with all the dirt and dirty fluid i've had for awhile in my car...)

So what should I do?

I was going to take into the dealer but before I do that, I wanted to ask you guys/gals for more info.
I dont want to get ripped off at a stealership

thanks

sam
samjcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Although I dont personally know of any cases.I have heard of poorly maintained trannys going bad after a flush.
That being said,with the fliud being burnt, it's definately time for a fluid and filter change.
Should you flush it?
Thats a hard question w/o knowing if the fluid was ever changed.If it was, I'd say that you should be ok doing a flush.As most the contaminants were removed when the fluid was changed or are trapped in the filter. GL
Old 12-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Learners License

thanks for the reply!

I want to clarify something. I got the oil change from the service shop already but I just couldn't get the transmission fluid replaced. What the serivice man told me was exactly what you said. If trannys are poorly maintained and driven hard then there is possibility that my tranny will die on me after the flush. hmm. anyothers?

thank you

sam
samjcg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats nonsense. I got my 6 used, with transmission fluid that was far from optimal. The Mazda service center I use, looked at it and recommended a flush, which they did. It performed better after that. Just to be sure, after 10k miles, I had another flush with Redline D4. Tranny shifts smoothly, and I am hard on it sometimes.

While they may not want to be responsible for damage resulting from a flush, the fact that a Mazda service center changed mine w/o saying what you mentioned makes me suspicious. You can always take it to an AAMCO. However, if you are going to have it flushed, I recommend using a more durable fluid like Redline or Amsoil, or any synthetic, it can be expensive, but I think its totally worth it considering how critical the transmission is.
<span style="color:#000080">SOLD: 2003 Lapis 6s, ATX: Racing Beat - KYB - Enkei - CP-E - Moog - AWR - Hawk - EBC - Redline - K&N - Stant - NGK - CWest - TW</span>
akhilleus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Learners License

QUOTE (Sapphire6s @ Jan 22 2009, 03:18 PM)
Quote:
Thats nonsense. I got my 6 used, with transmission fluid that was far from optimal. The Mazda service center I use, looked at it and recommended a flush, which they did. It performed better after that. Just to be sure, after 10k miles, I had another flush with Redline D4. Tranny shifts smoothly, and I am hard on it sometimes.

While they may not want to be responsible for damage resulting from a flush, the fact that a Mazda service center changed mine w/o saying what you mentioned makes me suspicious. You can always take it to an AAMCO. However, if you are going to have it flushed, I recommend using a more durable fluid like Redline or Amsoil, or any synthetic, it can be expensive, but I think its totally worth it considering how critical the transmission is.[/b]
I'm curious, do you know if the service center simply back flushed and filled your tranny or did they do it correctly by dropping the pan and replacing the filter and cleaning the magnet (assuming it has a magnet)?

I just got hosed by my dealer where I just purchased my 06s. I specifically instructed the advisor no less than three times I wanted the pan dropped and the filter changed. I knew it would be a bit more in price but I wanted it done correctly.

As I suspected, they did not. Now I have to go chew on ankles. Would you change your oil and not the filter?? It's cheap protection for the transmission.

Larry Eck
97 SHO Award Winner - tboned
96 SHO Bone Stock
06 6s DD
webmaster, www.v8sho.com
sowhat9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

The jatco 5speed does not have an oil pan and the filter is internal. Only way to clean/replace filter is with rebuild. That's why they didn't drop pan and replace filter.
<span style="color:#000080">SOLD: 2003 Lapis 6s, ATX: Racing Beat - KYB - Enkei - CP-E - Moog - AWR - Hawk - EBC - Redline - K&N - Stant - NGK - CWest - TW</span>
akhilleus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't know if you had your transmission flushed yet, but I work at the local autozone, and have had many customers come in and ask questions about their transmission not working right after it was flushed. I agree with the early posts that you can have problems with flushing the fluid. I would just drain it and fill. Do it more often and I've seen it work good without destroying your transmission.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I feel that you need to get the tranny flushed with a push/pull machine. My dealership charged 149.00 to do the work. If that kills your transmission than its junk to begin with. The main cause of atx failures is the lack of fluid service. Run not walk to the dealership. Jiffylube does a good job for 109.00. You just need to make sure they place the correct fluid for your model. Thats where they lack at times depending on the skillset of the technicians. If you have the cash go to the dealership and ask questions........Thats my nickle..........good luck
Old 09-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry to bring back a bit of an old thread.

First off, i have a 2006 6s with v6 and the 6spd ATX. I had a tranny flush done at ez lube at about 30000 miles. I have no idea what fluid they used. I have about 49000 miles on it and it is shifting somewhat hard. I want to put Amsoil in it, but you guys kind of have me worried about doing another flush. Can I do a drain and fill when I am mixing fluids, or should I do a flush and fill with Amsoil and then just do a drain and fill from now on.

I drive it pretty hard and I drive all streets to work every day.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Learners License

QUOTE (slayerfan86 @ Sep 2 2009, 11:17 PM)
Quote:
Sorry to bring back a bit of an old thread.

First off, i have a 2006 6s with v6 and the 6spd ATX. I had a tranny flush done at ez lube at about 30000 miles. I have no idea what fluid they used. I have about 49000 miles on it and it is shifting somewhat hard. I want to put Amsoil in it, but you guys kind of have me worried about doing another flush. Can I do a drain and fill when I am mixing fluids, or should I do a flush and fill with Amsoil and then just do a drain and fill from now on.

I drive it pretty hard and I drive all streets to work every day.[/b]

If you have a 2006 with 49,000 miles on it and it feels like its shifting hard I would take it to the dealership. Your car has a 50,000 mile warranty and if it feels like somethings wrong or its not driving the way it used to drive I would go in and see if there's a problem and get it all fixed for free.
brianhellno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.