Mazda 6 Forums banner

Reliability

37K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  TurboMazdarati 
#1 ·
How is reliability? I am in market for mazda, my current car is not very reliable and it is a 2010.

2014 mazda 6

What are all the problems? Please list all of them, ex. transmission fails all the time etc. small stuff too please!
Is it ok to own after warranty is up? Likely will not have warranty.

Thank you so much I am in a rush so the sooner I get this info the better. Thank you.

#2 ·
@Elite6, first: Welcome to the forum!

I wouldn't worry about reliability with these cars. The 3rd Generation 6 (2014+) is using Mazda's Skyactive engines and transmissions, and they're just wonderful. Unfortunately, there's only maybe 1 or 2 people that I'm aware of who have more miles on their cars than I do, and I'm "only" hitting 100k within the next month or so. That being said, the car has been absolutely flawless for both myself, and those who have about the same milage.

So far, I've yet to hear a single story on here about failing engines or transmissions. Maybe 1 or two quirky ones, but nothing short of excellent reviews. Try looking at a Mazda forum with Cx5 owners on it also, as they are basically the exact same vehicle as the 6, but came out a couple years sooner, so there will be more people with high milage.

Don't worry about warranty, they're mostly all talk anyways. Most warranties won't cover things unless it's blatantly the dealership or manufacturer's fault.

For any gripes or complaints about small issues, go do some reading here: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3rd-gen/386122-consolidated-thread-3rd-gen-mazda-6-pet-peeves.html

For all other discussions, go to the "Discussions" section of this thread: http://forum.mazda6club.com/3rd-gen/307129-3rd-gen-one-stop-shop.html

#3 ·
51,000 miles on mine daily driven with no issues. Maintenance has been inexpensive and simple, and the car is easy to work on. I would feel confident at this point recommending a 2014 to you even if it's in the 40-60k mile range. They're great vehicles. If I had one gripe, the leather seats can wear quickly. Also, the only troublesome area is the stock infotainment system has its quirks but most cars do. Using bluetooth, sirius, pandora and the radio are all fine and work if used gently, and I have no rattles or squeaks. Mazda was even really nice to me and with one phone call resurfaced my 19" wheels when they peeled at 45,000 miles for free (outside warranty!). Find a really good dealer, a clean car, and enjoy. Goodluck!

#9 ·
Yes gets better with age

I echo this sentiment. My 2016 has been great and the supposedly anemic engine is just getting better with age. It loves to rev and the car is just a joy to drive. I would try to find a 2016, since it has the new redesigned interior and excellent Mazda connect infotainment system. The Tom Tom system that people complain about on the 2014 and 15's was a stop gap solution. MZ connect is in a different class.

#6 ·
Great to hear guys. Yeah my 2016 seems to be getting better with age as well. Although I only have 18K. Still good to know it'll take care of you if you take care of it...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I am just approaching 10,000 miles on a car I bought used with only 3,500 on the clock. It's a 2014 Sport and it has been outstanding. I get 32-33 mpg in city and suburban driving and have had nary a hiccup. The original infotainment head unit sucks, but other than that I think it's a wonderful car.

#8 ·
My 2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T that the Mazda is replacing has actually been pretty reliable, except for when the cylinder head was cracked I went through a few months of hell with the cooling system and an expensive repair. Other than that its been solid. Really looking forward to seeing how this M6 turns out!

#11 ·
I will add to the factor. I just bought a 2014 6 GT... 42,081mi when i bought it at the beginning of the month. I logged over 3,000 miles on it somehow :D. The only things I've done was amsoil coolant flush, replaced all transmission fluid with the proper FZ, and changed my oil to Amsoil as well with the 0w20 SS.. Only thing so far ive had to get my Freon topped off.. It was 4oz low.

14' REFLEX 6 GT

#12 ·
21500 miles on my '16. The car has been flawless with the only exception being the OEM tires.

It is a Japanese made car, built by an engineering/enthusiast oriented car company. I expect that I will put ten times the miles that I currently have before I replace this car.

#13 ·
I have an 2006 with 209000 miles and I have done tires, brakes, headlight bulbs and should've done wheel bearings but did not. Yes it has rust on the fenders soooo what.Buying a 2014 gt w/19000 miles on saturday. I am trading my 06 but would love to keep it to see how far it will go. at 209000 the motor is smooth, very quiet, and still gets the same 27 mpg's it did at 20000 miles. the 06 was my first mazda and now looking for a replacement car I just keep coming back to Mazda 6. I research the hell out of things and usually go too far and talk myself out of things. Not this time, saturday a 2014 gt will be in the driveway.

#14 ·
My 2006 6s auto was a great car, with the exception of the trans, had it replaced 3 times, and when I traded it with 140+k for my 15 touring it was acting up in the same way that lead to the transmission replacements.
My 2015 touring manual was dead reliable in 60k, didn't care at all for the manual, too crunchy for my liking, otherwise would still have it.
Recently traded the 2015 for a 2017 auto as they have had few complaints regarding reliability compared to my 06 which had a TSB published for the shift shock issue which was due to issues with the valve body.

#18 ·
So I am in the Market for a Mazda6 can anyone tell me if an I Touring has a Sunroof and a Spoiler is there any difference between than and the I Grand Touring? Also am I reading this right and I should do my best to try to get at least 2016 even if I find a great deal on a 2014 or 2015 Grand Touring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.