Mazda 6 Forums banner

Little boost in exhaust sound?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  FyuraTheMazda 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve done almost everything I want to do to my 6 (2015 Mazda 6 V4 touring) but I’m curious as to what I can do to get a little bit more sound coming from my exhaust. I’m not really in the market for a cat-back. Maybe one day I’ll add an axle-back on her but as of right now I just want a little more of a rumble than stock. Should I switch mufflers? I don’t think a muffler delete or resonator delete sounds good on a V4. Any tips? Suggestions? Everything is welcome and appreciated. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I had this same issue since the day I bought mine, I looked up swapping to custom muffler, muffler/resonator delete etc. If you delete either muffler or resonator it doesn't sound very good IMO, enough videos on YouTube to validate that. Always remember this key statement especially for cars/car parts, "You get what you pay for", so if you want to play you got to pay just saying. I ended up buy a slightly used Axle-back for mine (Racing Beat) for $250 only few months old. It did take me a few months of daily checks to finally run across that deal but was worth it!

Reactions: FyuraTheMazda
#4 ·
I went the same route as mitchapalooza and sourced a lightly used Racing Beat exhaust. Took a few months of hawking the classifieds here and on FB, but I ended up with a <3000 mile example also for about $250 + shipping.

The exhaust note is quite a bit deeper and does not drone in the cabin. Initially the exhaust was really quiet, almost too quiet. The only time it sounded different than stock was on startup or when on the gas. Since then I've put about 10,000 miles on it and it has a bit more character now. Still not loud or obtrusive, just different. I guess now the packing has really gotten itself sorted.

Fwiw, I had the same exact experience on a 2000 Miata with a Racing Beat exhaust. Started out super quiet, but eventually got a better sounding with some mileage.

I know it's superficial, but those 4" exhaust tips look so much better compared to stock. Imo, it really finishes the rear of the car visually. There's little to no performance gain, although I've never dyno'd it. It does weigh a few pounds less and there may be a touch more HP at higher rpm, but you're not buying this by itself for the HP and torque gains.

#6 ·
Haha, I meant to say something about that too. You'll only find V4 engines in Aprilia, Ducati, some Hondas and a lot of MotoGP motorcycles. I've got my eye on a Aprilia RSV4 in the near future too, with an aftermarket exhaust those things sound absolutely amazing.

Our 6's have the classic inline-4 arrangement = big difference.

#7 ·
Yeah I'm kind of new to internal vehicle mechanics and what not. Still learning. I just got my girl and used to drive a little Chevy Sonic that i only added a CAI to. Sorry if i sound mechanically challenged.. but thanks for the advice so far guys! i guess I'm going to save up for a cat-back or axle-back and just keep it stock until then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.