2018 Mazda6 gets Apple CarPlay, Android Auto upgrade - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 Mazda6 gets Apple CarPlay, Android Auto upgrade

Just saw an article from CNET Road Show stating that 2018 Mazda6 owners will have access to a free upgrade which will add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, previous reports said there was likely to be a charge to add this new functionality.
Sorry that I'm currently unable to provide a link to the article, so instead here's the content for your reference:

The refreshed 2018 Mazda6 went on sale last month, minus one key ingredient: smartphone integration. Starting in July, however, folks who have already purchased Mazda's fun-to-drive sedan in the Touring trim level or above will be able to add Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for free.

Customers will have to go to the dealership for a hardware and software upgrade. Mazda said it should be a quick affair, no need to leave the car overnight.

The Mazda6 will be available with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto from the factory in December. Again, it's standard on Touring and above, optional on lower trim lines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Thanked 3,970 Times in 2,788 Posts
Groaned at 15 Times in 15 Posts
Garage
Sorry about the no link thing - the site's database should auto-update that within 24 hours for you.

Yet another feature us TomTom owners won't get to enjoy haha.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

A gov't big enough to give you anything you want is big enough to take all you have.
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Mazda Guru

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Thanked 1,101 Times in 805 Posts
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Garage
Click me

Mazda made a big deal about this announcement back at the NY Auto Show in March. It was quite anti-climatic, actually.

2018 MAZDA 6 GRAND TOURING RESERVE - Deep Crystal Blue
"The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Garage
It should be noted that those who bought 2018 Mazda 6 sport models will NOT get the Apple/Android update. Only those with Touring and above. Not sure why they left out Sport models, but it's a bit disappointing. It's not like Sport models have a different head unit.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
My interpretation from various announcements and social media interactions (Mazda Canada is much more active than Mazda USA) is that it's a free upgrade for 2018 non-Sport owners, but that in theory the hardware can be retrofitted to any other model/year that has Connect, for a price. The hardware allegedly consists of a replacement USB hub and a new microphone, not sure why the mic is needed unless perhaps the original does not meet some sensitivity or always-on requirement of either AA or CP. When Ford made a similar retrofit available recently, their replacement USB hub was around $100 for the part, or $300 or so installed.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
It would be nice if they upgrade to USB 3.0/3.1 on the front port in the center console if they aren't already. Anyone know what version they've got in there now? I know the rear seat ports output 2.1A (that's what they're labeled anyway), but I think the front ports are probably still only USB 1.1/2.0. I don't know what the host controller in the head unit is capable of supporting, but maybe it's part of the upgrade? Faster data speeds would be nice for speeding up reads from large music collections.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
It would be nice if they upgrade to USB 3.0/3.1 on the front port in the center console if they aren't already. Anyone know what version they've got in there now? I know the rear seat ports output 2.1A (that's what they're labeled anyway), but I think the front ports are probably still only USB 1.1/2.0. I don't know what the host controller in the head unit is capable of supporting, but maybe it's part of the upgrade? Faster data speeds would be nice for speeding up reads from large music collections.
I’m not sure about the USB version, but I’m pretty sure it’s not 2.1A. I’ve got an iPhone 8 and get just about 10-12% charge on a 30 min drive to work.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Vipre77 Send a message via Yahoo to Vipre77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjshaikh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipre77 View Post
I’m not sure about the USB version, but I’m pretty sure it’s not 2.1A. I’ve got an iPhone 8 and get just about 10-12% charge on a 30 min drive to work.
Yeah, same with my iPhone 7+. It was same in my 2016 CX-3 and the wife’s 2016 CX-5. The ports in the rear seat arm rests are clearly marked 2.1A, but they are power only. USB 1.1 and 2.0 is limited to 0.5A for normal ports. USB 2.0 Power Delivery (PD) ports can deliver up to 5A (3A for micro-USB connectors).

So, I’m pretty sure the ports are all USB 2.0.

His: 2018 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, Machine Grey
Hers: 2016 CX-5 Sport FWD, Reflex Blue
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Here's another article from Automobile detailing the implementation of this update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page