Learners License

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Keyless Ignition Issue

A couple of times now, with the engine running and the key in my pocket, if either of the front doors close with force the red key light on the dash flashes and the car beeps a few times. The light continues to flash for a mile or two after this happens. If I turn the car off, the red key light changes back to green and the car will start normally.

Today when I went to start it, nothing happened. I didn't notice the key light so it must not have been red, but I pushed the button with the clutch all the way down and it didn't do anything. I pushed the button a couple more times, continuing to have the clutch all the way down, then suddenly the car started a few seconds after my last button push.

Is it possible the wireless receiver module has a loose connection? Anyone know where it is on a '14?

“Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” - Theodore Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Have you ever replaced the battery in your key fob?

From the owner's manual pg 7-32, here are the descriptions for the causes of a red flashing key warning light:

The key battery is dead.
Replace the key battery (page 6‑38).
--------
The key is not within the operation range.
The key is placed in areas inside the
cabin where it is difficult for the key to be
detected.

Bring the key into the operation range
(page 3‑8).
--------
A key from another manufacturer similar to
the key is in the operation range.

Take the key from another manufacturer
similar to the key out of the operation
range.
--------
Without the ignition switched off, the key is
taken out of the cabin, and then all the doors
are closed.

Bring the key back into the cabin.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Battery is fine. It can lock/unlock the doors from a long distance. I also don't know how the front doors being closed would cause the issue if the FOB battery was low.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Got something (like a cell phone) plugged into the center console aux outlet?

If there's a reactive load on that outlet the very small parasitic current that's on it when the car is off can grossly confuse the start module. This is very easily reproduced on my car as I leave a cell charger plugged into there all the time -- if I plug in the PHONE and then hit the clutch I will either get a pulsating start light, no start light at all, the accessories might come on and off (e.g. radio, etc) or similar.

Don't plug the phone in before starting, no problem -- even with the charger plugged in. DO load it and there's trouble.

I thought I had an electrical gremlin in my car (very bad if it happens!) but as it turns out, nope -- it's interference from user-supplied electronics, and once I figured out what was going on it was easy to avoid the scenario that caused it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Thanked 3,821 Times in 2,668 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
Got something (like a cell phone) plugged into the center console aux outlet?

If there's a reactive load on that outlet the very small parasitic current that's on it when the car is off can grossly confuse the start module. This is very easily reproduced on my car as I leave a cell charger plugged into there all the time -- if I plug in the PHONE and then hit the clutch I will either get a pulsating start light, no start light at all, the accessories might come on and off (e.g. radio, etc) or similar.

Don't plug the phone in before starting, no problem -- even with the charger plugged in. DO load it and there's trouble.

I thought I had an electrical gremlin in my car (very bad if it happens!) but as it turns out, nope -- it's interference from user-supplied electronics, and once I figured out what was going on it was easy to avoid the scenario that caused it.
Wow, that's a VERY specific and odd problem....Can't say I've ever tried starting the car with the phone plugged into AUX though....Something to test out on the ATX.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yep. Note that the forward acc socket is OFF when the ignition is off normally. The (tiny) amount of current available there due to what appears to be electronic switching of that socket is what causes it. The phone does not charge when the ignition is off, but if it's plugged in the freak-out of the start system happens 100% of the time. Unplug it, all is normal. Plug in the phone after starting the car or with the ignition on (that is, acc jack is powered), no problem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Nothing plugged in anywhere. To rule out a key issue, I'm using my spare for a few days to see if the problem comes back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page