Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
What is your RPM at idle?

After driving around with the car engine hot what is your RPMs at and is it stable? Mine seems to dip down to 530 rpms and then back up to 750 rpms back and fourth. Seems to move with the compressor turning on and off.

Is that normal to have the RPMs that low? My car is a 14 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled993 View Post
After driving around with the car engine hot what is your RPMs at and is it stable? Mine seems to dip down to 530 rpms and then back up to 750 rpms back and fourth. Seems to move with the compressor turning on and off.

Is that normal to have the RPMs that low? My car is a 14 GT
Normal. Ac compressor engages putting load on the engine.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:45 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Thanked 3,821 Times in 2,668 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveitsmike View Post
Normal. Ac compressor engages putting load on the engine.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
What Mike said. AC will take upwards of 20% off your engine while running on most cars.

If it's jumping around that much without the AC changing state, then you might have an issue - need new plugs, vac leak, dirty MAF, etc.

Current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Sold:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
What Mike said. AC will take upwards of 20% off your engine while running on most cars.

If it's jumping around that much without the AC changing state, then you might have an issue - need new plugs, vac leak, dirty MAF, etc.
I see. Hm i have never noticed it drop that much in other cars. I will try with out the AC and see if it still does it.

Only reason i am concerned because my car seems to give a slight rough idle, not smooth how I would think a newish car should.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Shiro Shinobi

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Thanked 3,821 Times in 2,668 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircooled993 View Post
I see. Hm i have never noticed it drop that much in other cars. I will try with out the AC and see if it still does it.

Only reason i am concerned because my car seems to give a slight rough idle, not smooth how I would think a newish car should.
Yeah I noticed with these cares the compressor really takes a toll also - I make an effort to use the AC as little as possible because I hate seeing my MPGs drop.....but I'm weird.

If you're worried that it's jumping too much then it won't hurt to look into what I mentioned above. How many miles are on the car? Plugs could be in need of a change, your air filter could need replacing, etc. All relatively simple things to look into.

Current:
, Sold:
, 3rd Generation

Who would have thought a businessman would be good at running a giant business?...
"Camry: For Drivers Without a Soul." - Mz6GreyGhost
For your 'will these tires fit' needs:

Need a Part Number? Find it

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakuya View Post
Yeah I noticed with these cares the compressor really takes a toll also - I make an effort to use the AC as little as possible because I hate seeing my MPGs drop.....but I'm weird.

If you're worried that it's jumping too much then it won't hurt to look into what I mentioned above. How many miles are on the car? Plugs could be in need of a change, your air filter could need replacing, etc. All relatively simple things to look into.
Lol ya the thing is I need the AC on always in hot, humid Florida. The car has 24k miles on it, just bought it last week as a certified preowned. I know the filter is new. No trouble codes. I will probably get use to it.

I know they put castrol oil 0w-20 in it. I may change to the mazda synthetic oil with molly in it, maybe that will help.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Not to change the topic, but...

Do you have an air cooled 993? I have a 997 and daily drive a 2015 Mazda 6. Just wondering.....

Current cars:
2005 Porsche 911
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

former Mazda's:
2015 Mazda 6 Touring (totaled in accident)
2004 Mazda 6 S Sport Wagon (sold after 11 years)
2006 Mazda 6 i sedan (sold after 2 years)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine63impala View Post
Do you have an air cooled 993? I have a 997 and daily drive a 2015 Mazda 6. Just wondering.....
Nice!! And yes i have one. A 1997 P C2S in zenith metallic blue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1236828_10152453361531274_4766998376648123298_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	202770  
babyluv2 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, that is a nice ride! Attached is a picture of my 997.1 C2. I just got it from Florida in December. Here are some pics right off the delivery truck. Since then I powder coated the exhausts gloss black and ordered a gloss black "Carrera" rear emblem from bumperplugs.com. All records since new, all work done at dealers since new, and a 2006 3.6L (with the larger IMS bearing) installed in 2008 by Porsche.

I'm interested to see what led you to buy a 6 for a daily driver. I have owned two first gen 6's (a wagon and a 4 banger manual car) in the past and loved them. I liked that they were light and undersized for their class, plus dead nuts reliable. I bought 2 2015 6T and 1 2015 6GT. I like that the dash gages look like a Porsche layout (maybe an old school 912 with the three round analogue gages). They also handle well (once you ditch the OEM tires, I have Pilot Sport's on there now) and are light on their feet for their size. They are fun on a race track for a front wheel drive family sedan. I have had them out at Watkins Glen International and Lime Rock Park. For the most part I like the way they look (the rear styling is a little weak) and they get good gas mileage. They are pretty good in a crash, too. Check my garage gallery for pictures of the totaled 2015T.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche 911 22.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	202794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche 911 15.JPG
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	202802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche 911 14.JPG
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	202810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porsche 911 25.JPG
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	202818  

Current cars:
2005 Porsche 911
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

former Mazda's:
2015 Mazda 6 Touring (totaled in accident)
2004 Mazda 6 S Sport Wagon (sold after 11 years)
2006 Mazda 6 i sedan (sold after 2 years)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Learners License

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine63impala View Post
Wow, that is a nice ride! Attached is a picture of my 997.1 C2. I just got it from Florida in December. Here are some pics right off the delivery truck. Since then I powder coated the exhausts gloss black and ordered a gloss black "Carrera" rear emblem from bumperplugs.com. All records since new, all work done at dealers since new, and a 2006 3.6L (with the larger IMS bearing) installed in 2008 by Porsche.

I'm interested to see what led you to buy a 6 for a daily driver. I have owned two first gen 6's (a wagon and a 4 banger manual car) in the past and loved them. I liked that they were light and undersized for their class, plus dead nuts reliable. I bought 2 2015 6T and 1 2015 6GT. I like that the dash gages look like a Porsche layout (maybe an old school 912 with the three round analogue gages). They also handle well (once you ditch the OEM tires, I have Pilot Sport's on there now) and are light on their feet for their size. They are fun on a race track for a front wheel drive family sedan. I have had them out at Watkins Glen International and Lime Rock Park. For the most part I like the way they look (the rear styling is a little weak) and they get good gas mileage. They are pretty good in a crash, too. Check my garage gallery for pictures of the totaled 2015T.
Beautiful car!! I have also liked the 997, great car for the price. Sounds like you have a keeper. And I got the mazda just because I loved how it looked and all the features the grand touring has for the price. I have always had fords and nissans so it was a nice change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page