Mazda 6 Forums banner

Aftermarket headlights purchased for 2016 Touring

45K views 101 replies 20 participants last post by  TalonTsi90 
#1 ·
So I finally decided after a long conversation with the seller of this product to finally pull the plug and buy these

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AKD-...ED-Headlight-Original-DRL-Bi/32601073298.html

Now from my understanding and after thousands of questions I came to the conclusion that these are made to replace the halogen headlights... I spoke with another buyer who was from Russia and he said that he bought these to replace his halogen headlamps. He also has pictures posted of these installed on his 6. So I am kind of hoping these are definitely plug n play.

However

if these aren't plug and play I don't think I would have a difficult time wiring these to my car and if anything I can take these to a automotive lighting shop close by. However I am confused by one thing... So after reading the product description it says the headlights accept H7 bulbs so being that it says that I decided to purchase H7 HIDS to install with these headlights. After exchanging a few words with the seller he tells me that they shipped out D2H HIDS with my headlights. My question is what are the differences between H7 and D2H bulbs? or are they the same...

BTW, Yes I've read the Aftermarket thread posted about the other headlights and these headlights but sadly those threads did not help me.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I wonder why AliExpress links never seem to resolve properly on this forum? They always seem to take me to the AliExpress home page. I was able to get the link to work by hitting reply on your message, copying the full link and then pasting it in my browser. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll be really interested to hear about your experiences with these lights...including ease of installation, construction quality, long-term durability, and any issues with condensation or UV discoloration.

The regular halogen headlight units have grown on me over time, but the GT headlights are a thing of beauty. I think they look better than any of the other aftermarket alternatives people have tried.

Please keep us posted!

#4 ·
1. I recently replied to someone else with an educated guess as to why this might be happening. It comes down to 2 things, really: The way the website parses and auto-links the URL, and the way your browser handles the HTML that the website presents in the background. Ali links always work perfect for me, and I'm sure it has something to do with me being on Chrome with Adblock running the old Mazda6Club theme.

2. The OEM GT headlights are basically what sold me on getting it, so I couldn't agree more.

3. DeletePhoto - Definitely keep us posted on the lights, they look like they have potential.

#3 ·
@TitaniumVT

I definitely will keep you posted on these headlights and after installation make a full write up for you guys. Sorry about the link not being able to show up. Also so I've figured it out the D2H bulb is basically the same as an H7 bulb but the D2H will fit these headlights better(This is what the seller told me) but overall I'll go with an H7 over the D2H just because I want my fog lights to match my low/high beams and also because I am not sure what kind of HID kit they are sending me. As of right now I am using DDM tuning Ultra 5500k 35w H11s so Ill stick with those.

#5 ·
YES! I love these lights. Very interested in how this goes. Keep us posted. Thanks

#11 ·
I'm right there with you about not wanting to splice the existing harness. Hopefully they've built the right plugs into the headlight housing and you won't need these adapters. AKD has a decent picture of the back of the housing in their listing, but it's unfortunately still hard to tell what plug types are used.

The back does look different than the rear of a factory GT headlight housing, so it gives me some hope they designed in the right kind of plugs to support the OEM Sport/Touring headlight harness.

#12 ·
@TitaniumVT

The issue with this is actually very funny. From my understanding I've found out or I think that in China and Russia their (Sport/Touring) connections are different from ours. I may be wrong but remember this is all speculation and everything will be confirmed once the headlights arrive. Hopefully the LED DRL is the only thing that needs to be wired!

#15 ·
Yea I got that they are plug and play but the problem with that is that they might only be plug and play for Sport/Touring trims in China and Russia because when I was talking to a buyer, I brought up the fact that over here in the US we use H11 and HB3 for our high and low. He then responded telling me they use H7 bulbs on their halogen headlights and he said he was confused by what I was asking - I asked him - ( How does the headlight with the integrated D2H bulb connect with our HB3 and H11 harness? ) He never got back to me. Hopefully you are right and I am just over exaggerating the wiring.

#19 ·
@MadStyle Thanks for the good news and relief. Basically you're saying that these are in fact plug and play? but minus the LED DRL wiring? or would that also function once everything is connected...

These headlight may in fact be completely plug and play including the DRL. I saw a similar model with just the stock harness connector. Then they are some out there where the DRL will be separated meaning you need to directly connect to battery but still turns on and off via harness.

#21 ·
Oh I see where I was thrown off... Since the headlights are self contained once I connect these to my cars connector everything would work (Low beam, High Beam, and Parking Light) and the DRL would wire to the battery and ACC.

Also yea basically the headlights are plug and play (confirmed)

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
@TitaniumVT

Anticipation is the worst, you can definitely say that again! Waiting only thinking of all the possibilities is pretty stressful and I guess interesting. Also Thanks lol, I think I speak on behalf of all the 3rd gen drivers with halogen head lamps that even though the halogens are nice especially with an HID kit in them, When a grand touring pulls up or is driving behind you, you gaze at its beauty. Hopefully though once I receive them I can record or have a write up of an installation so that all of the users on this forum with halogens can upgrade as well!

#24 ·
I'm interested in hearing about the quality of these Chinese lights.

Buying a $10 LED direct from The People's Republic is one thing...buying a $500 set of headlights is another. Long way to go to return something or get warranty consideration.

Hope your guys experience is positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.