Mazda 6 Forums banner

2016 Mazda 6 Puddle Lights Installed!

11K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  whitco99 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I did it! I got my puddle lights installed. Took a couple hours but they turned out nice. I used Pilot High Intensity power LEDs from Pep boys. These are new very bright and white (not bluish) in color. Aluminum housing and waterproof for outside use. I tapped into the dome light and ran the wire across the roof and down the pillar (drivers side) so they come on with the dome and fade out with the dome. The wire runs across the floor to the passenger side so I will tap in for floor lighting next.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice, and very bright! Couple of questions for you. Which model of Alpena LEDs did you use? How did you run the wires under the headliner without messing it up? And how do you run wires in the A pillar without interfering with the air bags? I'm more interested in the A pillar as I plan to get a dash cam soon and want to hard wire it with the cable hidden in the A pillar.

Thank you!

#3 · (Edited)
CORRECTION!: (Pilot High Intensity)I did not go down the A pillar (last car). The weather strip going down the door was where I ran it, just enough room (gap)for the wire if you pull back the strip and tuck it in you can come out by the fuse box. I'll take some photos and post them. I took the dome light down (screw in the glasses holder) and snaps out. going across the head liner along the front (no headliner airbag , steering wheel bag in front) you have to come out the pillar above the door there is an air bag but also a separation by a 1" bracket that I used as a bridge for the wire so as not to interfere with the side air bag at all. the wires I connected to the drive dome light +/- so if I push it on inside, the lights come on outside too (for now) sort of manual ON. Under the car is a screw(by door front) to hold on plastic trim, I took it out and ran wires thru there instead of drilling.I used double sided heavy duty tape (3M) and silicone adhesive to keep the trim on . It is a small piece again under the door front. Been on over a month no problem. Sealed the hole with silicone first. Getting a hold on the wire from the head liner was the challenge , along with figuring out how to run it. The pictures were on a wet road so there was some light spread (more than normal)in the shot. I find out the model for the Alpena lights, they were back by the bulbs(Pep Boys)not in the Pilot led section of the store. Pilot are blueish these are a nice white. I'll get more pics up too if people are interested.

Attachments

#10 ·
The dome lights are Philips 30mm festoon Bright White Interior Vision LED Wattage 0.5W, Voltage 12V, clear light 6000k. I attached the wire leds to the driver side dome light posts with just a twist pig tail method. No soldering yet, I 'm not sure if I want to leave them there or find the common power to the dome wires. For now this works fine and like I said if I turn on just the inside drivers dome light the ones under the car come on too.

#20 ·
Haven't checked this site for a bit. Mine are under the car. they are two rectangles about the size of the space bar on your keyboard. There are no holes drilled, just the screw(tap bolt) removed for the wires to come thru. No leakage since the holes were sealed with silicon.

#23 ·
Here's the blue light in the Trunk. I had 2 in but that was way too much lighting so I cut it down to one. I was wrong about the LED brand, It is Pilot High Intensity LED. Not sure why I thought it was Aplenia. Guess because I've used them before. Their strip lights are brighter then Pilot, but not as bright as these are. I've included pictures of the packaging and the trunk. Again the under body lights were white. I can't even find these online. Just at the pep-boys.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.