post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garage
Rear shelf rattle...

2016 GT. Over rough roads or sharp impacts there's a rattle coming from somewhere near the rear window. If I tap on the rear shelf I can hear it but I can't localize it. It sounds like a plastic harness might be u dear the shelf tapping again metal. I be been meaning to pop the cover - it looks like it's held in by clips to invstigate. Anyone else have this?

If anyone has removed the rear shelf to upgrade speakers, please let me know how you did it.

Tks.

'16 Meteor Gray GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Groans: 4
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's a royal pain in the butt to remove; you have to take quite a bit off to get to the clips that hold it in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to tickerguy For This Useful Post:
Trippp (01-10-2016)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts
So I couldn't stand it anymore. The rattle from the rear was driving me crazy and seemed to be getting worse. So I spent 4 hours and took out the shelf. Had to remove rear seat bottom, side trim, center brake light. Quite a puzzle. Must say though the fit and finish and fitment of all parts was pretty impressive. I took my Golf R apart a few times and thought it was well built. Well I'd say the 6 is a step above in parts quality. Yes the 6 isn't as "solid" as the German, but the parts are equal or better. Everything went back together easily.

Unfortunately, I did not kill the rattle? I used foam tape on some cables and added extra foam cushion between the steel shelf and the Bose speakers on the rear deck because I though I heard the rattle when I jiggled them.

Anyone else have any luck killing this fucking rattle. Such a wonderful car but the rattle is driving me nuts. I know some thought it maybe the cable from the folding seat release, but I added extra cushion in area without any change.

What's interesting is the rattle seems to get worse as the car warms up. Wonder if it's under the cabin? Also wonder if the seat belt mechanism maybe the culprit.

Ugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	561.3 KB
ID:	197130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	570.4 KB
ID:	197138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	197146  

2016 Mazda 6 iGT Meteor Gray w/Tech ("I'm Batman!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Dolphin w/Nav

Last edited by ocramida; 12-04-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:22 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Groans: 3
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
So the rattle is a bit more than just a loose wire. In my case it was an actual molded plastic piece that was rattling due vibration coming from the rear aluminium bed.

I basically got all removed by using butyl matts and dampening the entire thing. I did it when I sound deadened all doors and trunk.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 06:35 AM

Any pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
So the rattle is a bit more than just a loose wire. In my case it was an actual molded plastic piece that was rattling due vibration coming from the rear aluminium bed.

I basically got all removed by using butyl matts and dampening the entire thing. I did it when I sound deadened all doors and trunk.
Hi Flyandi. Any pictures of which plastic piece and or area? Aluminum bed? Thanks

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Garage
I have the 2016 Sport model so I don't have as many goodies in the back as you do. I installed a sub in the back of my car and slowly it created a terrible rattle. The main rattle was my third brake light. For the time being I shoved black cloth between the third brake light and my window to keep it from shaking. Eventually I will take the rear shelf apart but I don't know all of the steps to complete that task and I have been working on friends cars lately instead which puts me off from working on my own car.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 07:16 PM

Mazda service manual sticky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
I have the 2016 Sport model so I don't have as many goodies in the back as you do. I installed a sub in the back of my car and slowly it created a terrible rattle. The main rattle was my third brake light. For the time being I shoved black cloth between the third brake light and my window to keep it from shaking. Eventually I will take the rear shelf apart but I don't know all of the steps to complete that task and I have been working on friends cars lately instead which puts me off from working on my own car.
I referenced the Mazda service manual that is stuck to the 3rd gen main page. It's technically for 2014-2015, but the process or removing rear trim is the same for the '16.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's a pretty cheesy fix, but a little black construction paper will do the job. I had the same rattle and haven't heard it for two weeks since I did the following...

Cut a strip of paper and fold it over 3 or 4 times. Place between the rear most section of the tray and the side molding just a few inches from the back glass. It puts just enough pressure on the tray to keep it from rattling. It may not work for everyone, but it was an easy fix for my rattle. I'd like to get in there to actually correct the problem, but it's just too much time to remove the rear tray and this is working for now.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:18 AM

Just so I'm clear, So you're saying that the black cloth covered shelf under the rear window was rattling? And sandwiching some construction paper between the edge of the shelf and the c-pillar trim fixed it?

It would be great if that was the problem.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I believe that is what is saying. It's similar to what I did as well but it just depends which part of your shelf is doing the vibrating. Mine was the third brake light. I would recommend shoving things between your rear window and the shelf, one at a time, and take it for a drive or play bass filled music. Just trying different spots until the vibration goes away. Then go form there to try and make it not look stupid with cloth and paper all over the place.

The way I want to do this is once I get around to removing the rear shelf. I'm going to stuff foam and other goodies under it so it pushes up on the shelf which should stop the vibration and be invisible to people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page