Mazda 6 Forums banner

Do you guys dealer service your car or DIY?

5K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Firefly6 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am rolling at about 31,000 miles. My last car was a 2010 Mazda3, on which I did almost all of the work myself. Oil changes, spark plugs, tires, wheels, trans fluid, and all that jazz was done by me.

Now with the 2014, I have done one or two of the oil changes myself, but I am worried I will break the car if I do these myself, or void the warranty. I keep a meticulous log of everything I have done to the car since I have gotten it down to fuel changes and tire rotations.

Do you guys do your own maintenance? I am trying to save some money here for the holidays of course.

-Deemo13

#2 ·
As long as you document what you've done that complies with the minimum factory servicing requirements you are golden for maintaining your warranty.

Obviously, if you are not confident in your ability to do some of the maintenance and you break something doing the maintenance it will not be covered by warranty.

#7 ·
As long as you document what you've done that complies with the minimum factory servicing requirements you are golden for maintaining your warranty.
Couldn't have said it better. I keep a meticulous log of everything I do to the car so that if anyone ever questions me, I can show them what's up.

I'll let people mount tires because I don't have the equipment to do that, but other than that... nope.
$100 Harbor Freight, get yourself a nice 3.5 Ton low-profile jack and some stands - 15 Minute rim swaps :)

#4 · (Edited)
I mostly dealer service. Since my car has only 10k miles I'm not doing any repairs yet. Oil changes and tire rotations are simply just not worth the time, when I can pay a little bit of money to have someone else do it and not have to dispose of oil etc. Plus it's cold now haha. Winter tire change overs, brakes and rotors, and simple fixes and mods, if I have the time, I do myself. And I check the oil and tire pressure weekly when I'm washing and cleaning the car.

But definitely, even if I know how to do something but am not confident I'll do it right I'll take it to an independent shop or the dealer. But I don't really have to worry about things like that until I have more miles on the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
Nobody has turned a wrench on my car yet except me, as with the last two I've owned. One is still in my driveway and the other my kid owns now and it just flipped over 200k miles. Neither has ever left me stranded anywhere; I know it's done right if I do it.

I'll let people mount tires because I don't have the equipment to do that, but other than that... nope.

#10 · (Edited)
Mistook mount for "put on car" - Yes, balancing is not something a typical person can DIY.

Apartment living has forced me to use a mechanic for most of my non-minor repairs, though with my 2015 I've used the dealer more than my mechanic due to their surprisingly competitive rates. As mentioned by others, make sure the parts and fluids you use meet the vehicle specs (which can be found in the manual). I also make it a habit of marking mileage and date on the receipts as I DIY things like my filters.
There's a section in the user's handbook that came with the car that allows for recording things like this. I use it each time I change something out, and I have the dealer fill it out and sign it each time the car goes in (not often, but whenever it does).

#9 ·
Apartment living has forced me to use a mechanic for most of my non-minor repairs, though with my 2015 I've used the dealer more than my mechanic due to their surprisingly competitive rates. As mentioned by others, make sure the parts and fluids you use meet the vehicle specs (which can be found in the manual). I also make it a habit of marking mileage and date on the receipts as I DIY things like my filters.

#13 ·
As owners of BMWs and VWs can probably attest, I've been spoiled with being able to do oil changes via oil pump and oil filter housing in engine bay. I don't like getting under the car and do my own work like I did in my 20's. I don't like handling old oil to drop off. I take my car to the dealer for oil change/tire rotations. A bargain compared to BMW inline-6 engine DIY oil change kits.

Although Mazda's dealer network is sparse I've found 1 in my area that has a top notch service center. Been going there for 3 years now and have been completely satisfied. They've got a website in which to schedule you appointment, I drop it off on a weekend while out with my family, pick it up anytime before they close.

There's another dealer closer to me but I found them to be incompetent- 1 example was when I checked their work I noticed my oil level was high. I found out they used 6 quarts for our CX-5 2.0l which only needs 5 quarts. I even showed them the manual. They also had a high turnaround for techs.

#15 ·
I do similar to you. I have done the last two oil changes and tire rotations and keep good records. With the weather getting bad, I will go to the dealer the next time around. Their cost is reasonable and it gives them a chance to look the car over. I have a good dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.