Mazda 6 Forums banner

Peeling rims on 2016 6GT

93K views 194 replies 67 participants last post by  MilR 
#1 ·
I took my 2016 6GT in for its first oil change and tire rotation, and the service manager said two of the rims were peeling. I had not noticed it. They have now ordered me two new rims, which will be installed at Mazda's expense. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
oh I hope they weren't referring to the protective plastic cover leftovers that were peeling off. That happened to me as well but I just peeled it off when people on this forum suggested to do so.

However if that's something not happening with you, better get it replaced. I scratched one of my rims recently at a car wash and have been wondering how to get it fixed.

#9 ·
Hi Palomatic

This was not a protective plastic cover issue but bonafide peeling of the rim paint or whatever it's called. I live in South Carolina, by the way. Just waiting for replacement rims to arrive at dealer.

oh I hope they weren't referring to the protective plastic cover leftovers that were peeling off. That happened to me as well but I just peeled it off when people on this forum suggested to do so.

However if that's something not happening with you, better get it replaced. I scratched one of my rims recently at a car wash and have been wondering how to get it fixed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Alan N.
#4 ·
SAME HERE!! My front passenger side is peeling and I noticed it when I was washing my car a few weeks back. Now that I'm coming up to my first oil change i will defiantly be pointing that out and requesting a new wheel. I live in Texas so I don't know what could cause it to peel??

#5 ·
I think it can be bad quality of new paint, that Mazda started to use on 16 GT . Also I live in South Florida, and because my wheels peeling only on left side, so I can think that the when I am parking the car, the Sun could damagedo it. And another version - the guys where I am washing the car using some abrasive wheel cleaner, and it causes paint to peel. But a little disappointing to see that after 3 months of driving. Will keep you posted when Mazda dealer will call me back.

#10 ·
I had the left rear wheel replaced under warranty this morning. I bought the car in June and it currently has about 10,000 km on the odometer. Last week I discovered a nickel sized spot where the clear coat peeled off. I let my dealership know and they sent a few photos to Mazda Canada. The issue was resolved pretty quickly. I just hope this doesn't become a recurring problem.

#12 ·
Add me to the list of people with peeling finish on the GT rims. I just noticed it a couple weeks ago pumping gas. I admittedly hadn't washed the car in a while and wondered if maybe something was on the wheel. Then I started looking for trauma, wondering if I curbed it somewhere, but the wheel and tire are fine, and the finish is peeling back into the wheel, so it's clear I didn't curb it.

(Which of course was the first question a friend of mine asked when I told him one of my rims was peeling!)

It's my left rear, but they just rotated my tires at my first service in September, so it was previously the left front. I still need to bring it to their attention, but my plan was to have them change out the rim/repair the finish/whatever they will do when I have the wheels off for the winter.

I have 7100mi on the clock as we speak.

#14 ·
Problems getting them replaced

My dealership here in Lubbock, TX is giving me a hard time. There are no scrathches or dings, just the peeling away off the rims paint(?). They said that I probably hit something :frown2: They pretty much said they will not replace them under warranty. I have three rims with this problem. They are acting like their word is the final say.

Is there any one I can contact? or Call? to help me get this resolved. I know this damage was not due to my negligence.

#15 ·
My dealership here in Lubbock, TX is giving me a hard time. There are no scrathches or dings, just the peeling away off the rims paint(?). They said that I probably hit something :frown2: They pretty much said they will not replace them under warranty. I have three rims with this problem. They are acting like their word is the final say.

Is there any one I can contact? or Call? to help me get this resolved. I know this damage was not due to my negligence.
Can you try going to another dealership?

#21 ·
I agree with Chas2. Contact Mazda directly. Don't file a complaint against the dealer ... simply state your concerns about the wheels.

From mazdausa.com:

Mazda Cars, Sedans, SUVs & Crossovers | Mazda USA

Monday-Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time
Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time
(800) 222-5500

I attached pictures of my brother's wheels. We both purchased 2016 GTs this past summer. He only has 10,000 miles on his car and 3 of the wheels are peeling.

Attachments

#23 ·
I had the peeling problem on 3 of my wheels on my 2016 Mazda 6 GT. I took it to the dealer who told me that they would have the wheels refinished. They came back and they were the wrong color. Came back 2nd time and the paint was wavy and rough in spots and rims were pitted. They wanted to send them out a 3rd time but I insisted on just getting another set of new rims. They complied and I now have 4 new rims. I just hope these don't start to peel too.

#28 ·
i had the peeling problem on 3 of my wheels on my 2016 mazda 6 gt. I took it to the dealer who told me that they would have the wheels refinished. They came back and they were the wrong color. Came back 2nd time and the paint was wavy and rough in spots and rims were pitted. They wanted to send them out a 3rd time but i insisted on just getting another set of new rims. They complied and i now have 4 new rims. I just hope these don't start to peel too.

we should all check back in a few months and see how our new rims are doing, so this issue does not happen again. Shoould be getting my four new rims in a few weeks. Bittersweet that i had to have the mazda rep make the final decision.

#25 ·
I took my 2016 6GT in for its first oil change and tire rotation, and the service manager said two of the rims were peeling. I had not noticed it. They have now ordered me two new rims, which will be installed at Mazda's expense. Anyone else experienced this problem?
Answering my own post: I took my car into the dealership today and had two rims replaced at Mazda's expense. Before I went in, I checked the other two rims and, yup, they were either in full-peel mode or just beginning. So the dealership has ordered two more rims at their expense. The dealer said each rim was $1,000. Must be retail price 'cause I know Mazda is not spending that much money on the rims. I guess they take them back in and re-condition them.

#26 ·
Answering my own post: I took my car into the dealership today and had two rims replaced at Mazda's expense. Before I went in, I checked the other two rims and, yup, they were either in full-peel mode or just beginning. So the dealership has ordered two more rims at their expense. The dealer said each rim was $1,000. Must be retail price 'cause I know Mazda is not spending that much money on the rims. I guess they take them back in and re-condition them.

Something like that, for me they took off the old paint and sprayed on a new coat. Took about 2 days.

#27 ·
Follow up to my rims. We sent photos to Mazda rep, about a month passed and I got a phone call from the dealership.... They are going to replace all 4 rims. Seems this may be an issue with the rims. LESSON--stay persistent and always ask to get the Mazda rep to make the final decision.

#30 ·
My 2016 Mazda 6 GT started peeling at 6k---all four rims. I notified the dealer and after days going back and forth, finally the service manager informed me that they thought that there had been a change in the paint away from the dealership. This change rendered the warrant invalid, since they could not prove who had done the change in color. He noted that there had been no other problems with the paint peeling on other rims. The color was smoky gray when I bought it and believe me,.....I had no interest in changing the color of a car rim. The service manager was willing to pay to have them repainted. Initially, I was willing to accept this as a solution. However, I called the MAZDA Corp and informed them that this was totally unacceptable. I purchased a new car with the expectation that the rims were also new. They have agreed to replace all four rims.

Since buying this 2016 MAZDA 6 GT, I have had to take the car in to replace an air condition compressor 2 times, replace the rubber around the doors 2 times, replace the knob to open the gas door and now this. I am a very dissatisfied customer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.