Mazda 6 Forums banner

Be thankful you live in 2015

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cibersay 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am of the older generation and my first new car was a 1978 Dodge. Be thankful for your Mazda's.

1. In the 70's - 60K to 70K was high mileage and you were looking to get rid of it. Now we see cars going 200K and even over 300K.

2. By 30K - you might see rust around the fenders and wheel wells. The paint and metal treatments are so good today, with proper care, many years of rust free looks.

3. When you drove a new car off the lot, you would have to bring it back within a couple of weeks to have the engine tweaked... Because of technology and quality control, even the worst made cars are still very good.

4. The warranty was 12 Months or 12,000 Miles...period.

5. The paint in earlier cars looked good...for a while. But much of it was soft enamel that chipped easily and oxidized easily as well. Clear coat paints really changed things!

Happy motoring! ( That was Exxon's, which used to be called Esso, motto) Esso also had a logo that was a tiger and their other saying was "Put a tiger in your tank". When you filled up with gas, they attached a small tiger tail to your gas cap.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice post. I will be 64 this year, so I guess I qualify for an older generation. My first hand-me down car was a Plymouth Valiant with a terrific slant 6 engine. I recall my dad's Plymouth Belvedere station wagon with push button (really) transmission. It was 17-feet long: a real boat! The first car I owned was a Karmann Ghia, a VW "sports car" with an Italian design and German coachwork. It had an auto stick shift -- you just lifted your foot off the gas and shifted -- no clutch! Soon l will own a 2016 6GT with all the bells and whistles. Can't wait!

Reactions: Nprguymc
#3 ·
Older generation

you got me beat - I am 57. I just bought a 2016 6 and love it. It is comfortable for us older dudes - and still fun to drive. When a co-worker (same age) asked me why I was getting the 6 and not the Camry like he drove, I told him I liked the Camry but that the 6 was more fun to drive. His response, "I am beyond the fun to drive point in my life."

If I ever get to that point, take me out behind the barn and shoot me.

When are you picking your 6 up?

#4 ·
you got me beat - I am 57. I just bought a 2016 6 and love it. It is comfortable for us older dudes - and still fun to drive. When a co-worker (same age) asked me why I was getting the 6 and not the Camry like he drove, I told him I liked the Camry but that the 6 was more fun to drive. His response, "I am beyond the fun to drive point in my life."

If I ever get to that point, take me out behind the barn and shoot me.

When are you picking your 6 up?
I am with you: life is to be explored and driving a car with some spirit adds spice to living. I'm not ready to check out...

I will pick up the car in Charleston, S.C. on May 26. My wife and I will live there while I finish my career (first stage, that is) at Michelin, which has its North American headquarters in Greenville, S.C. I will work in Greenville -- about 3 hours distance -- during the middle of the week and spend Mondays and Fridays telecommuting from Charleston. That means I get to have fun running the highways between Charleston and Greenville!

#5 ·
Nice, I get to say I'm "just" 49....
But I remember all those things, and have owned several cars dated from the 70's

Reactions: mifannning
#6 ·
i'm 15, youngest on the fourm and proud of it. my car is at 198 and climbing. i'm going to re-build the engine and swap the trans at 238,857 (the distance in miles to the moon) No more, no less. Welcome!

#7 ·
Well those cars were awesome for the day and I wish I could've been there when they were new. I've got a '69 Dodge Charger my father and I are restoring, we have a 1970 Dart and will probably get more mopars. IMHO if you keep an old car well tuned and maintained then it will keep up with today's modern cars. I'm a car guy so being under the hood of a carbureted land barge with a screw driver and a timing light is fine by me. One reason I bought my Mazda6 it is the same size as the 1970 Dart it is replacing for daily driving duties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.