Mazda 6 Forums banner

2014 Center Armrest creaking?

24K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  johnnymg 
#1 ·
Does anyone else have creaking issues w/ the center console/armrest cover?

It seems that I can't put my elbow/arm on it w/out some sort of creaking noise. No difference if the armrest is in the normal back position or slid forward over the cupholders.

Started happening about a year ago and has progressively gotten worse. Car now has 23k miles.

#5 ·
mine is doing this when it's cold and the arm rest extended

#11 ·
Sorry to hear that it's so sub-par.

I'm at 41k miles and my rest is perfectly fine with no issues whatsoever. I've had several people climb on it, as well as my fiance kneel on it in order to take photos out the sun roof at various meets.

*knocks on wood*

#12 · (Edited)
FYI guys - There is a Mazda TSB for the center console armrest. Mine looked like the hinge was broken when the armrest was up and open. The dealer looked at it and they found a TSB to replace the back panel (where the rear seat heater vents are housed) with a redesigned part. The hinge pin can slide freely from side to side and sometimes falls part way out. The new panel has end stops to prevent this. An easy 10 minute fix, but for the life of me I can't find the paperwork to pass on the TSB number.

It's still a flimsy piece-O-crap but it's way better than it was.

#19 ·
Mine also creaks, but I do put quite a bit of pressure on it at times, so that may be the cause.

#20 ·
I just noticed my arm rest seemed like the hinge was broken. Took a look and there is no pin on the passenger side. I'm calling them now to see if I can get this TSB repair. I hope they don't screw me, since I'm 22 miles away from my warranty, and by the time I get to them, I'll be over the miles...

#23 ·
Just as a side note to all this, is it easy to take it apart to have a look yourself? I have recently discovered that the lid is almost swinging freely in the open position and wondered if I'd broken it.

#25 ·
Screws? This is a car from the past 20 years, everything is held in by plastic clips! You start by pulling the rear trim piece off - where the vents are or aren't, depending on your model. Wasn't there a diagram posted here? Regardless, just have the dealer do it - because there's a TSB and they'll order you the replacement part for free, which holds the pins in place.

#26 ·
Thanks for the TSB #. I just fixed the floppy glove box door in my 2014. Popped the rear cover off and knocked the passenger side pin back in place. Used a tiny bit of CA to hold it in place. The fix took about 5 min............. likely less time than to explain what the problem was to the people at the local dealership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.