LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Real World Gas Mileage

How are the current owner's doing, and what is your city/highway mix?

Gas mileage is one of the big selling points for me and I want to make sure it does as well as it says.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dark For This Useful Post:
marbs34 (01-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Learners License

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just had my first full up and it came to 31mpg with roughly 50/50.
post #3 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I haven't calculated anything... but I get 400 to 450 miles on a full tank depending how I drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Speed is a big factor in determining MPG.. Following is coming from Mazda 3's test drive experience.

"It turns out that the SKYACTIV Mazda3 is especially sensitive to driving style. Driving with a very light foot, shifting short of 2,000 rpm, and paying extreme attention to impending red lights (so as to get off the gas as soon as possible), I managed a high of 41.0 mpg on my standard drive from home to the kids’ school (with a trip computer reset after the engine had warmed up). Now this is more like it!. Speed is a big factor. First, air resistance rises at the cube of velocity. Second, engine speed increases in lock step with vehicle speed, and at a certain rpm efficiency begins to fall off dramatically. Driving at a steady 78 mpg, the trip computer reported 30.6 (again close to my nearly decade-old Protege5). Drop ten mph, and the number ticked up to 31.3. Drop down to 62, and it took a larger jump, to 33.6. Perhaps at the double nickel the promised 37 would materialize—but I just can’t drive 55! The implication is clear – the EPA highway figure is only going to happen at speeds much lower than most of us drive."

Source: Mazda3 SKYACTIV: The Truth Behind The EPA Fuel Economy Numbers | The Truth About Cars

But again, I guess this is going to be the case with every car.. Not just Mazdas with Skyactiv Technology.

Last edited by MzdaGuy; 01-27-2013 at 12:56 PM.
post #5 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
You should start using Fuelly.com (See my Signature below)

The mobile site is very easy to use right after you pump your gas.

It shows a nice historical look at the MPG over time. It's Free...

Tom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Using fueleconomy.gov also would be good, as they have better definition between different engines, transmissions, et al of the same model year. No neat sig yet though. The more data the better!

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD new DD to me, no mods yet.
post #7 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Groans: 2
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydtron View Post
Using fueleconomy.gov also would be good, as they have better definition between different engines, transmissions, et al of the same model year. No neat sig yet though. The more data the better!
I used to use that site, but there are a lot more people using Fuelly and the website is gives you much more information about your fuel spending, etc.

Tom

post #8 of 386 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzdaGuy View Post
Speed is a big factor in determining MPG.. Following is coming from Mazda 3's test drive experience.

"It turns out that the SKYACTIV Mazda3 is especially sensitive to driving style. Driving with a very light foot, shifting short of 2,000 rpm, and paying extreme attention to impending red lights (so as to get off the gas as soon as possible), I managed a high of 41.0 mpg on my standard drive from home to the kidsí school (with a trip computer reset after the engine had warmed up). Now this is more like it!. Speed is a big factor. First, air resistance rises at the cube of velocity. Second, engine speed increases in lock step with vehicle speed, and at a certain rpm efficiency begins to fall off dramatically. Driving at a steady 78 mpg, the trip computer reported 30.6 (again close to my nearly decade-old Protege5). Drop ten mph, and the number ticked up to 31.3. Drop down to 62, and it took a larger jump, to 33.6. Perhaps at the double nickel the promised 37 would materializeóbut I just canít drive 55! The implication is clear Ė the EPA highway figure is only going to happen at speeds much lower than most of us drive."

Source: Mazda3 SKYACTIV: The Truth Behind The EPA Fuel Economy Numbers | The Truth About Cars

But again, I guess this is going to be the case with every car.. Not just Mazdas with Skyactiv Technology.

Car and Driver found much better results in their Fun at 40 article. Shows the Skyactiv 3 achieving 40 mpg at up to a constant 76 mph, and even more at slightly lower speeds. I get the feeling the new 6 will likely have higher variance between steady speeds and multiple acceleration events at speed versus the old 6, but that is due to the larger gear spacing and how efficient they have made this engine/transmission combo.

*SOLD* 2005 Mazda 6s Sedan Grand Touring ATX
Michelin Pilot Super Sport 225/45 R17 tires (Winter Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70 205/60R16); Racing Beat springs; Koni FSD dampers; Steeda 22.5mm rear sway bar; SURE RDS-06 Rear Brace Bar; Steeda Fusion Strut Tower Brace (w/harness carrier bend-mod
)

2013 Cadillac ATS 3.6 Premium RWD new DD to me, no mods yet.
post #9 of 386 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Learners License

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you can trust the current mileage reported by the car, I'm seeing between 37.8 and 40.8 mpg on the highway, and averaging about 33 mpg in a blend of hwy and city driving.
post #10 of 386 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow - double check with fuelly maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page