Mazda 6 Forums banner

Variable Valve Timing Actuator

24K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  timeless123 
#1 ·
2006 speed6

Here is the deal. This is my wife's car. That's problem number one. Last week the car started making this noise only on startup the starter works great but when the car turns over you here a loud brawwaaaap then it goes away. Took it to the local stealer oops I mean Dealer and they tell me that it needs a variable valve timing actuator and its going to cost $1500. I just want to know if anyone here has experienced this. Also I have a friend who works at another stealership and he says that mazda might cover the repair because they have had this before and have made a new part to correct the problem. My dealer so far very unhelpfhul. Hoping you might be helpful here. Thanks again and if this old news please at least post a link to the discussion for me. Thanks a lot.

#2 ·
1. is there still warranty on this car?
2. I'm hoping you drive something better than your wife's car...
3. There is no "simple fix" for this issue.
4. If you stealershit sucks so bad, why don't you take the car to a different one?

I think there was a tsb out there before, but if your warranty is out, you are out of luck.

#4 ·
Threre is a TSB and it should be fixed for free by the dealer.
The pin that is part of teh VVT acuator has most likely sheared off which is causing the noise.
The TSB calls for teh upgraded pin (which is heat treated for additional strength) to be installed in it's place.

The timing cover has to come off. I brought the TSB to my dealer when I had a timing cover leak fixed (under warranty) and it was the first time they saw the TSB. That was 7 months ago.

Print out the TSB, take it to your dealer, if they want to charge you, go to another dealer and let them know you will be calling Mazda NA to let them know.

Good Luck.

#5 ·
QUOTE (freekwonder @ Sep 8 2009, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1598984
Yeah I though there was a TSB for this? Good luck getting it fixed.[/b]
I talked to Corporate Mazda and they said they would pay for the parts and diagnosis fee that would drop the price to like $900. The thing that gets me though is that our car falls under the old warranty. 4yr 50000 bumper to bumper. The newer ones get 5yr 60,000 powertrain. It suck we have 58k on ours.

Also I like to think my car is a little nicer.

The stealership never sucked until now.

I figured there was no easy fix. I just hate having to pay for it.

#6 ·
QUOTE (soveryspeedy @ Sep 8 2009, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1599024
Threre is a TSB and it should be fixed for free by the dealer.[/b]
Correction: this should be fixed for free ONLY if the car is under warranty.

TSBs are not recalls. TSBs help dealerships diagnose and identify solutions to common issues. Like any other work performed by the dealership, the manufacturer only pays for the repair if the car is under warranty. Otherwise, the car owner pays for the work.

#7 ·
QUOTE (kaloug @ Sep 8 2009, 12:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1599025
I talked to Corporate Mazda and they said they would pay for the parts and diagnosis fee that would drop the price to like $900. The thing that gets me though is that our car falls under the old warranty. 4yr 50000 bumper to bumper. The newer ones get 5yr 60,000 powertrain. It suck we have 58k on ours.

Also I like to think my car is a little nicer.

The stealership never sucked until now.

I figured there was no easy fix. I just hate having to pay for it.[/b]
Go on, take the money and run.
HOO HOO HOO

#8 ·
Ahh the VVT actuator from Bosch. That is a $600 part from Bosch, the rest is just labor. The "pin" that fails is internal to the VVT actuator and I am not totally convinced that you cant drive it for a while with the failed pin. The engine wont produce that same amount of power, but I dont think it will hurt anything.

Having said that, I wouldnt drive it like that forever because if the cam shaft breaks from the transfered shock or the bolt holding the VVT actuator slips, it will probably grenade your engine.

#9 ·
QUOTE (Corpus_Speed6 @ Sep 9 2009, 03:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1599328
Ahh the VVT actuator from Bosch. That is a $600 part from Bosch, the rest is just labor. The "pin" that fails is internal to the VVT actuator and I am not totally convinced that you cant drive it for a while with the failed pin. The engine wont produce that same amount of power, but I dont think it will hurt anything.

Having said that, I wouldnt drive it like that forever because if the cam shaft breaks from the transfered shock or the bolt holding the VVT actuator slips, it will probably grenade your engine.[/b]

Word. I'm pretty sure I got extremely lucky that I just complained a lot to the right person. They only took 20 minutes to get the price reduction. I really appreciate the information and the explanation. Now I know I'm not getting shafted.

Check this out. Last month I took my BMW in for a recall and then it turned out it needed a satelite vehicle center or something like that. I did the same thing complained and said the car was perfectly fine before I brought it in. Because it was. I got the thing repalced for free and was provided with a free loaner car for 2 days.... Might be on to something here.

#10 ·
No problem bro, but just fyi... at $90/hr labor they were charging you about 10 hours of labor. That part is no easy swap and basically requires that the entire top part of the engine be taken apart and put back together, 10 hours of labor was probably legit and you just got a really good deal =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.