Genuine Mazda 0W-20 with moly - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Go Back   Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum > Technical / Performance / Model > Mazda 6 1st Generation (2002-2008) > Engine / Drivetrain > 3.0L V6
New User? Register
Mazda6Club.com is the premier Mazda 6 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Genuine Mazda 0W-20 with moly

Sourced from Idemitsu (major Japanese oil company), it has an exceptionally high viscosity index (VI).

Has anybody taken the plunge and tried it?

Comments?
posttosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Groans: 13
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts

Negative. Schaeffers all day bro.
xtmesisx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to xtmesisx For This Useful Post:
cmorty72 (01-30-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtmesisx View Post
Negative. Schaeffers all day bro.
We have been using Schaeffer #704 (Supreme 7000 5W-20) for the duration. Love it.

It appeared that Portland (where we live) was the only place west of the Rockies that had a Schaeffer retailer. A couple weeks ago, I went to that retailer to get six quarts for my next oil change and found that it had morphed into a Mini-Mart selling slurpees, no Schaeffer. Bummer. Mail order freight charges move the Schaeffer out of economic sense for us.

Looking into (alternatively) the Genuine Mazda GF-5 0W-20 with Moly or Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, and would like to learn of some real life experiences of either of those oils with our engine.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by posttosh View Post
We have been using Schaeffer #704 (Supreme 7000 5W-20) for the duration. Love it.

It appeared that Portland (where we live) was the only place west of the Rockies that had a Schaeffer retailer. A couple weeks ago, I went to that retailer to get six quarts for my next oil change and found that it had morphed into a Mini-Mart selling slurpees, no Schaeffer. Bummer. Mail order freight charges move the Schaeffer out of economic sense for us.

Looking into (alternatively) the Genuine Mazda GF-5 0W-20 with Moly or Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, and would like to learn of some real life experiences of either of those oils with our engine.
What's the current going price of Mazda's 0w20? Last I checked it was quite spendy, but that was a couple years ago.

FWIW. I get Schaeffer Supreme 7000 from cnc-motorsports for $7.75/qt shipped. The price goes down as you order more since the shipping price is fixed.

Regardless, I'd still be curious to hear about people's experience with Mazda oil. UOA's would be great!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
What's the current going price of Mazda's 0w20? Last I checked it was quite spendy, but that was a couple years ago.
I think the new Idemitsu Mazda GF-5 formulation 0W-20 has been available in North America for only six months or so; at any rate, it was 2012 October 12 that CleanMPG.com had a breathless announcement of it. The list price appears to be $8.75/quart, which is probably what a local dealer would charge me if I bought it there (I have not gone out to check, and would not trust a telephone answerer, as the service bays of most dealerships use Castrol, and they would probably quote the price for Castrol if I did not see the bottle in front of me.). Rosenthal Arlington Mazda sells the Idemitsu Mazda oil for $6.83/quart, but the shipping costs would more than swamp the savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtmesisx
FWIW. I get Schaeffer Supreme 7000 from cnc-motorsports for $7.75/qt shipped. The price goes down as you order more since the shipping price is fixed.

Regardless, I'd still be curious to hear about people's experience with Mazda oil. UOA's would be great!
I had been paying close to CNC-Motorsports' $6.50/quart when I purchased Schaeffer Supreme 7000 locally, and (of course) I did not need to pay shipping. Now, with my local Portland retailer gone, the closest we have to a local distributor is in the Seattle area, and it charges $10/quart for the Supreme 7000: 704 Schaeffer Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus 5W-20 - 1 Quart That distributor offers free shipping for orders over $75, or a case of 12 for $115, but I am not an oil cache stasher.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by posttosh View Post
I think the new Idemitsu Mazda GF-5 formulation 0W-20 has been available in North America for only six months or so; at any rate, it was 2012 October 12 that CleanMPG.com had a breathless announcement of it. The list price appears to be $8.75/quart, which is probably what a local dealer would charge me if I bought it there (I have not gone out to check, and would not trust a telephone answerer, as the service bays of most dealerships use Castrol, and they would probably quote the price for Castrol if I did not see the bottle in front of me.). Rosenthal Arlington Mazda sells the Idemitsu Mazda oil for $6.83/quart, but the shipping costs would more than swamp the savings.

I had been paying close to CNC-Motorsports' $6.50/quart when I purchased Schaeffer Supreme 7000 locally, and (of course) I did not need to pay shipping. Now, with my local Portland retailer gone, the closest we have to a local distributor is in the Seattle area, and it charges $10/quart for the Supreme 7000: 704 Schaeffer Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus 5W-20 - 1 Quart That distributor offers free shipping for orders over $75, or a case of 12 for $115, but I am not an oil cache stasher.
Oooh. The Mazda oil I saw must have been a different version of the 0w20. I saw it on the service desk at some dealer in Raleigh in the summer of 2011.

With cnc you can buy 6 quarts of Schaeffer (or 3 or 1), but the shipping is still $15. A case (12 quarts) through them works out to $93/shipped. Given the rate that my car is eating oil, I don't mind having a few extras around for a regular top off.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by posttosh
The list price appears to be $8.75/quart, which is probably what a local dealer would charge me if I bought it there. ... Rosenthal Arlington Mazda sells the Idemitsu Mazda oil for $6.83/quart, but the shipping costs would more than swamp the savings.
Oooh. The Mazda oil I saw must have been a different version of the 0w20. I saw it on the service desk at some dealer in Raleigh in the summer of 2011.

With cnc you can buy 6 quarts of Schaeffer (or 3 or 1), but the shipping is still $15. A case (12 quarts) through them works out to $93/shipped. Given the rate that my car is eating oil, I don't mind having a few extras around for a regular top off.
The Rosenthal Arlington Mazda delivered price for the Mazda GF-5 Idemitsu oil is $61.48 (=$41.58 + $19.90 shipping) for six bottles, or $10.08/quart, 23% more than the same quantity Schaeffer Supreme 7000 delivered from CNC-Motorsports, assuming the shipping charges are the same as when you last ordered it. But the Mazda oil is a full synthetic (base stock undisclosed) and is a 0W-20 (0W-xx are usually pricier than 5W-xx oils), whereas the Schaeffer is a 5W-20 semi-synthetic, albeit one that uses high quality Group IV (PAO) base stock. Running the price numbers alone, it almost makes it worth a trip to the snotty local Mazda dealer to see if I can get a deal on six bottles there.

Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, another full synthetic reportedly made from advanced GTL -- gas to liquid -- base stocks, is very highly regarded on BITOG (and its Noack volatility number -- often commented upon on BITOG -- is jaw-dropping). Wal-Mart sells it -- but stocking is spotty. The Wal-Mart price for a 5-gallon jug is $28 (but out of stock on-line) or for a single quart $7.82 (also out of stock on-line).

It is a fool's errand to compare oils only on their specs, but here are some comparisons:

Viscosity, 40 C:
Schaeffer 7000 5W-20 -- 43 - 45 cP
Mazda (Idemitsu) GF-5 0W-20 -- 35.852 cP
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 -- 47.43 cP

Viscosity, 100 C:
Schaeffer -- 7.5 - 8.5
Mazda -- 8.37
Ultra -- 8.40

High Temperature/High Shear (HTHS 150 C):
Schaeffer -- 2.6
Mazda -- 2.6
Ultra -- 2.7

Noack Volatility:
Schaeffer -- 12.8
Mazda -- not specified
Ultra -- 5.0

Total Base Number (TBN):
Schaeffer -- 7 - 7.5
Mazda -- 8.9
Ultra -- not specified

Viscosity Index (VI):
Schaeffer -- 158
Mazda -- 221
Ultra -- 154

The two numbers that jump right out at you are the Ultra's Noack volatility and the Mazda's VI.

Last edited by posttosh; 01-30-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.